Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
How durable is the iPhone 5S?

I don't drop mine often, but did today on a hard floor. I have an otterbox defender on it, so I don't think I should be worried about anything wrong with it?

Just curious as to, how durable an iPhone 5S would be w/o an otterbox? Do you drop yours often, and whats the result?

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA

I don't drop mine often, but did today on a hard floor. I have an otterbox defender on it, so I don't think I should be worried about anything wrong with it?

Just curious as to, how durable an iPhone 5S would be w/o an otterbox? Do you drop yours often, and whats the result?

It is like rolling the dice sometime you win and sometimes you loose.

Personally I have always kept my iPhones in Otterboxes and have never broken one.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Cases look like crap and take away from what the iPhone was meant to be. Naked from day one with every iPhone that's been made. Cases look ridiculous And are a waste of money.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Cases look like crap and take away from what the iPhone was meant to be. Naked from day one with every iPhone that's been made. Cases look ridiculous And are a waste of money.

A good case does what it is designed to do. It protects the phone. Seat belts and motorcycle helmets don't make a fashion statement but I still use them.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA

Cases are a waste of money if you have no problem with shattering your screen for whatever reason. Plus, frankly, I like having a case because you can augment your phone's appearance. It's like a tattoo or a different piece of clothing, or a custom ringtone and wallpaper.

The number of people I know who have shattered screens or banged up edges that look like ***** because of drops makes slapping a ten buck case on it WELL worth it.

----------

Comparing saving ones life to possible saving or not saving your iPhone is quite a bit of a stretch.

Well then let's go a step back from that and say wearing elbow and knee pads when you go roller blading. If you're totally confident in your ability to never fall and are okay with getting all banged up in the off-chance that you do fall, then sure, don't use 'em. But others would rather look a little silly and know that if they fall they'll be okay.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I don't think so. Accidents happen. I wear seat belts, a helmet, life jacket, I have smoke detectors, I carry insurance for flood and fire and I put my phones in cases.

The degree of wisdom, common sense, and intellect you're demonstrating, may cause extreme discomfort for some Apple owners who post here :D

Mrlal8

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012

A good case does what it is designed to do. It protects the phone. Seat belts and motorcycle helmets don't make a fashion statement but I still use them.

lol... how do you compare a case on a phone to that of a seat belt or helmet. You're phone breaks you go buy a new one. You don't wear a seat belt, you crash, you die. Cant go buy another life. Anyways back to the topic of the OP the phone is pretty durable. It depends on luck and what angle the phone decides to fall on. I haven't used a case on any iPhone since 2007 and have bought each model. I have dropped the phones a few times and haven't cracked any of them. Just don't put them in the same pocket as your keys if you go caseless

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
I don't think so. Accidents happen. I wear seat belts, a helmet, life jacket, I have smoke detectors, I carry insurance for flood and fire and I put my phones in cases.

LOL whatever, I still don't think any of those other things can even be compared to a friggen phone. But to each his own.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To different people different pros and cons apply as to whether or not something like a case/bumper/etc. would make sense for them. To say that one extreme or another is essentially the only "right" one, and especially for everyone, is something that is fairly irrational, and basically inconsequential.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I only use a case on my 4s when I am running (particularly trail running) or cycling. Otherwise no case all the way. Feels much better and personally I'm glad I stopped using a case all the time.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Meant to be? Says who? Apple even make cases for their phone. The phone is better in a case and working than naked and broken. Lol. It's a communication device and not a fashion accessory.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Comparing saving ones life to possible saving or not saving your iPhone is quite a bit of a stretch.

Yes I totally agree.

----------

Then buy phone insurance and stop buying seat belts and life jackets for your phone.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
:(

Yes, until the day comes when you mess up and drop it, breaks and then you come here to cry about it.

I don't look at my phone and drool over it, nor fondle it, nor show it off to anyone. I keep my phone cased so I can keep it in good shape and sell it later in great condition.

Here is one poster (OP) that just got the phone, dropped it. Many more if you do a search.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1701448/

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
:(

Yes, until the day comes when you mess up and drop it, breaks and then you come here to cry about it.

I don't look at my phone and drool over it, nor fondle it, nor show it off to anyone. I keep my phone cased so I can keep it in good shape and sell it later in great condition.

If I break it I just use my insurance. You are actually a much higher maintenance person by buying cases:) And judging by the way you talk about crying and fondling phones and worrying about resale in a year or two, a much higher maintenance person in general:) Bet you park your car way way in the back of the parking lot, sideways so no one will scratch your corolla.........LOL.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Buy insurance or a case. Tempered glass is strong, but in any application, it's susceptible to sudden edge trauma, and will shatter.

That's exactly how a dropped iPhone falls: On edge.

So, ignore the crying about "nude devices being superior devices," find a case you like and roll with it, or plan to spend a day or two waiting for a refurb phone when you do drop it.

In January of 2012, my iPhone 4S in an Otterbox Defender survived a car accident that nearly killed me. I spent a week in a hospital bed, with my trusty 4S to keep me sane. I've seen multiple 4S phones shatter when dropped on edge from 3'. Same build shape as the 5S.

Never understood why this is such a huge point of contention with the MacRumors crowd.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Buy insurance or a case. Tempered glass is strong, but in any application, it's susceptible to sudden edge trauma, and will shatter.

That's exactly how a dropped iPhone falls: On edge.

So, ignore the crying about "nude devices being superior devices," find a case you like and roll with it, or plan to spend a day or two waiting for a refurb phone when you do drop it.

In January of 2012, my iPhone 4S in an Otterbox Defender survived a car accident that nearly killed me. I spent a week in a hospital bed, with my trusty 4S to keep me sane. I've seen multiple 4S phones shatter when dropped on edge from 3'. Same build shape as the 5S.

Never understood why this is such a huge point of contention with the MacRumors crowd.

No one ever said that uncased iPhones are superior. They do however look better. Ive never used a case since 2007 iPhone onward and never broken one yet so I don't use a case. Its a point of contention because most cases are ugly and some people the amount of money they send on cases and films they could damn near buy another phone they certainly could pay for AppleCare+.

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How do you expect people to respond to this? The housing can bend and the screen can crack with drops. It's not just a matter of height or the surface it lands on. How it lands matters as well. If you're concerned and willing to do so then use a case that offers impact protection and/or get insurance. You have to take whatever measures you're willing to go with.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
No one ever said that uncased iPhones are superior. They do however look better. Ive never used a case since 2007 iPhone onward and never broken one yet so I don't use a case. Its a point of contention because most cases are ugly and some people the amount of money they send on cases and films they could damn near buy another phone they certainly could pay for AppleCare+.

TIL you can get a new phone or AppleCare+ for $30.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
TIL you can get a new phone or AppleCare+ for $30.

Reading comprehension is obviously not a strong suit of yours is it?
Most people on here buy way more than one case and even screen shields.
Average price of case is probably $30 apples own is $40 people buy multiple cases. Did you need me to do the math for you too?
Anyway Im so done with this, you're not going to change my mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.