Drudge Report war on Apple....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Phil in ocala, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

Here is one of the headlines: APPLE Trouble? 'Concerning' Stock Trend...
    But when you click on the link you read that the stock is expected to keep rising.
    This is the fourth time, Drudge has had headlines, saying Apple in trouble.
    I wonder who is paying him to do this as he has almost NO advertisers.

this is the story: The firm also established a price target in the same note to clients of $187 per share, implying 16.5 percent upside from the stock's closing price on Tuesday.

Shares of Apple have gained more than 39 percent this year, and rose modestly in Tuesday trading. DRUDGE THE KIND OF FAKE NEWS he if famous for.....

2. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

Drudge is a news aggregator, no different than Google or Yahoo. The article and headline are from CNBC. Why don't you ask them about their "war on Apple"?

3. Phil in ocala thread starter Suspended

Phil in ocala

http://drudgereport.com/ Matt Drudge choses the stories he wants to highlights...some Conservative readers only read headlines this is about the fourth time he has done this in a month...Microsoft discontinued their windows phone...Drudge did NOT mention it. He has been a big source of fake news and its why he cannot find advertisers who want to be associated with Drudge.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

I couldn't say if he has something against Apple. It is more likely about getting clicks (income).

"Apple is doing A'OK" - No Clicks
    "Apple is doomed" - Lots of clicks.

5. Phil in ocala thread starter Suspended

Phil in ocala

No reputable firm advertises on his site.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

I guess Amazon isn't reputable.

It appears his site uses Adchoices to power his advertising. Which is operated by the Digital Advertising Alliance. Which is a major consortium of advertisers. Advertisements displayed are based in part on your browsing habits and in part the content of the page. To try and predict advertisements with the highest potential for click through.

I've never read Drudge before and have no interest in ever doing so. I fail to see how the mix of advertisers affects reliability. Advertisers could care less about quality, honesty, integrity or reliability. All they care about is dollar conversion. Otherwise very few TV shows would get advertisers.

The type of advertiser say more about the audience than anything. You wouldn't advertise Rolex on Duck Dynasty and you wouldn't advertise Cabela's at the Wimbledon Open.

The Drudge Report looks like it is little more than a news feed. With hand picked articles. So, if it is not legitimate. Neither are the sources.

7. Phil in ocala thread starter Suspended

Phil in ocala

8. Phil in ocala, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2017

Phil in ocala thread starter Suspended

Phil in ocala

26 October 2017

New story this am that iPhone 8 is failing to sell.....by Drudge....

9. Phil in ocala thread starter Suspended

Phil in ocala

Related Quotes
    Sym.
    Price Chg.
    AAPL Trade
    News 160.85 3.44
    DJ Update: Apple's Stock Surges After Analyst Survey Suggests Healthy Demand For Iphone X -- MarketWatch

Oct 27, 2017 10:27:00 (ET)

Shares of Apple Inc. (AAPL) rallied 1.4% in premarket trade Friday, as reports that the iPhone X has already sold out helped assuage demand concerns (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ap...iphone-x-preorders-kick-off-friday-2017-10-26). Pre-orders for the highest-priced iPhone X began at 12:01 a.m. ET. Cascend Securities said it manually conducted a survey of iPhone X availability in the 100 most populous markets in the U.S. "In every case, iPhone X was sold out for pre-order online home delivery by 5 a.m., when we started the survey," Chief investment strategist Eric Ross wrote in a note to clients. He said there were still some supply available in stores for buying online and store pick up, but based on how quickly the supply was diminishing, he expected most of the supply would be gone by noon, if not sooner. He said the silver model, in both 64 gigabit and 256 GB memory, were in far lower supply compared with the gray model at all the carriers surveyed. The stock had gained 4.6% over the past three months through Thursday, while the tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 has tacked on 2.0% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average has advanced 7.4%.

-Tomi Kilgore

For more from MarketWatch: http://www.marketwatch.com/newsviewer
    (END) Dow Jones Newswires

October 27, 2017 10:27 ET (14:27 GMT)

Copyright (c) 2017 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2017 ---
    161.90USD4.49 (2.86%)............................If you are not invested in Apple...you don't know about this company as you think you do.......10.27.2017

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Drudge has a long history of highlighting even the most specious hit pieces against people and companies that have spoken out about topics not aligning with the conservative/culture war agenda. In this case, Apple is a target because of their affirmative stance on DACA, something that isn't at all controvercial. Most Americans support the act and a path to citizenship.

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Stories about Apple are good click bait stories.

Drudge is fun to read sometimes but all the news it carries are click bait links to other sources (i.e. they don't write their own stories).

12. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I hate to point this out and bust up the conspiracy, but Drudge has a picture of an iPhone up now that says, "Raves for X," and links to a CNBC story titled, "The iPhone X is the best smartphone you can buy."

13. David G. macrumors 65816

Don't spoil it. Some people just like having something to complain about.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

For those who would like a little more nuance, and a little more thought, The Economist has an interesting - and thought-provoking - piece about Apple in this week's issue.

Well worth looking at.

15. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

Nobody cares about Windows Phone, which is why he didn’t highlight it. He routinely highlights Amazon, Google and Facebook. He is suspicious of all of them, not just Apple.

16. Mac32 Suspended

I'm much more concerned with CNN, MSNBC, CBS, BBC and co, and their war on the Western nation state and Western culture. Everyone else can have their identity, culture and borders - not just the people and countries that actually are capable of creating well-functioning societies.

17. laz232 macrumors 6502

There is one thing to note: Apple has been buying back a *lot* of its own stock (raising debt to buy stock) - that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does artificially raise its stock price...

18. Phil in ocala thread starter Suspended

Phil in ocala

19. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

I wouldn't call it artificial. And the effect may not be that big. The corporation has a market value based on investors' aggregate assessment of its current net asset position combined with forecasts of its future cash flows. If you retire some shares, that value is spread over a fewer number of shares, raising the price. But, by taking on that debt (or using cash), the company is reducing its net assets and therefore the overall company value. Since that debt/cash is used to remove shares from the market, the remaining shares do not participate directly in this payout.

Also, keep in mind that the company is constantly devaluing the stock by issuing new shares to pay off employees and executives. A company that does that has to buy back shares just to keep the number of shares in the market stable.

20. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I visit Drudge about as often as the cute kitties on BuzzFeed.

21. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Did you post this because of the holiday?

22. Irishman macrumors 68030

Do they? Care to link to the Drudge Report stories you mention?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2019 ---

Hey, you wouldn't happen to have any documented evidence for this culture war, would you? People in conservative media have been talking about it for decades now, but so far, noone has been able to provide proof for it.

Maybe you could be the first?

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Stock buybacks raise the stock price if the stock is undervalued.

24. flavell macrumors newbie

flavell

25. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Did we ever find out if Drudge is the one that chooses the title of the articles or not? Always been curious about that.

I've been so burned out on news the last few years that I've made a new years resolution to read books instead. I used to read all the news sites, subscribe to a local newspaper, 3-4 magazines, and Economist/WSJ. Now, the only thing I pay for is Ars Technica.

I used to frequent youtube channels that I found interesting but they're all turning into outrage machines - because it probably increases their $.