Drunken adventure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Geoff., Jul 25, 2010.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Okay last night i got very drunk and ended up falling asleep on the side of the road. I dont know how i got home but i did. I woke up this morning and saw that my iPhone said "This accessory is not optimized for this iPhone" Yet i wasnt even charging it. Then i realised the HOME button doesnt work :( And i was still getting the error so i restored it and when it was finished restoring iTunes said it has encountered a phone in recovery mode and it will need to be restored so i did it again and it didnt work.

So then i held the home and sleep button while connected to itunes and the phone worked. Then i used a backup and iTunes said that it had encountered a phone in recovery mode and it needs to be restored so i plugged it out of itunes and held the home and sleep button and i got it working and my phones backup was ok but the home button still doesnt work and i still get the weird accessory error. Anyone know what can i do? I cant afford to pay for a repair but the phone is in warranty and i cant go to a apple store because im from Ireland. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Cool story bro :)

What happened to the iPhone that made the home button stop working? And I wonder how it is that you could use the home button to reset, but not while using the phone?

3. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

check this thread out:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10639372&highlight=#post10639372

Also i tried many different things cause I had the same problem. I sucked in air through my mouth while my mouth was at the dock connector and havent had any problem since.

I tried restoring, unplugging and plugging back in, air duster and none of those worked. The sucking in air seems to work so far.

4. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Well I don't know how to solve your problem I can relate to your story, I actually managed to lose my Blackberry Bold and break my iPhone 2G while trying to walk home and ending up asleep next to a main road lol

5. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I don't know what happened to me last night let alone the phone :p the god damn home button just wont work. There must be something else up also since restoring it was such a pain.

Will i have to pay for a repair ?:(:(

6. cdinca macrumors 6502

First of all, BRAVO on living life!

Second, did you look to see if anything is wedged in the dock connector port? Something in there acting as a bridge, maybe?

7. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Theres nothing there. The phone looks perfect its only a few months old and the home button even feels the same when pushing it but it just wont work :mad:

8. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Perhaps you got it wet? Take a look at the indicators.

9. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I have a case on it and i took it off and it was all wet but it wasnt drink. Where and what are these indicators?

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Falling asleep, drunk on the side of the road? Lol!

11. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

Headphone jack and docking area. Look in with a light and see if there is any pinkness.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

13. cdinca macrumors 6502

Ouch...replacement time.

14. Built macrumors 68020

You drove home DRUNK..."blacked out"...could have killed some innocent person...and you thnk your biggest "issue" is the iPhone?

15. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

where did he say he drove home? all i see is fell asleep on the side of the road and dont know how he got home

16. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I never said i drove home. I don't even drive. how much is a repair ?:(

17. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

$199 out of warranty replacement

or good reason to upgrade to iPhone 4

18. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm assuming, from your signature, that you have a 3GS? You could pick up a new one on Ebay maybe? Or, if you're eligible, pick up an 8GB for $99 (I think that's the deal...just check Apple website).

It may be better to do one of those things than try a repair.

19. Philalbe macrumors 6502

If the phone looks fine, lie and tell them it just started malfunctioning...in a way it's true. Maybe they'll replace it or repair it for free? Not sure if you'll hit any snags since it was purchased in another country?

20. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Because that's honest.

I got drunk, woke up on the side of the road with a wet iPhone and it "just stopped working".:rolleyes:

Great advice.

21. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Something similar happened to me in college, though I ended up asleep on the median in the middle of the divided road. Blessedly, this was pre-iPhone, so the only thing damaged was a bit of dignity and one shoe, which had gone missing.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

Was in in your pants pocket?

[​IMG]

23. Built macrumors 68020

Unless he fell asleep on the pavement, or in the dirt, to the side of the road, he drove home.

If he was at all behind the wheel of a car...and doesn't know how he got home...you do the math.

24. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter if you lie or not. The first thing an Apple tech does when you bring your phone in for *any* problem is to shine the light of a flashlight in all liquid indicator places.