.DS_Store keeps popping up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by domesticgoddess, Aug 20, 2011.

1. domesticgoddess macrumors newbie

I had to type this command in the terminal: "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" so I could uninstall a program.
    Now, ".DS_Store" keeps popping up on my desktop, and when I delete it, it just comes right back. I'm wondering if I should type a new command in the terminal, but want to be sure I don't make a harmful mistake.
    Help?

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

.DS_Store is a file that stores information about the folder it's in (like where the icons are placed, file view, etc. so that the Finder knows how to display the folder).

Just run the same command in terminal but replace YES with NO "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO" and then you won't have those files show anymore :) Because they are hidden by default.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

.DS_Store is used by the Finder to track a folder's view, window size, etc. If it's not in a folder, Finder will create it, as you've seen.

You're seeing it because, like other files preceded by a ".", it's normally hidden.

To undo the command, change the YES to NO. You might need to relaunch the Finder for it to take effect.

4. domesticgoddess thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked, THANK YOU!!!
    Figured out how to delete that pesky program after lots of googling, now am thankful for your help.
    :)