DTS HD 5.1 vs DTS 5.1 on Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applefan289, Jun 24, 2012.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I want to buy a foreign movie on Blu-ray that has an English audio track in DTS 5.1 (not DTS-HD 5.1). Is there a huge difference? Will I notice a drop in audio quality?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Unless you have an amazing sound system to go along with amazing hearing, doubtful.

3. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

Since I don't have your ears I can't tell you if you'll hear a difference or not.

Generally speaking, if the combined cost of your AV receiver + the cost of your speakers is at least $5000 (and a minimum of $1200 went to the front LR speakers alone), then yes, you should hear a difference. It has been my experience that if you spent less than that you probably won't hear a difference since the equipment isn't up to the task (due to various technobabel like harmonic distortion, noise, etc). This applies even more strictly to the speakers.

But what your ears hear or don't hear can't be said by anyone here; why not just take one of your current discs and listen to the same sample parts in both DTS and DTA-HD? (BTW, you'll potentially hear the greatest difference if the soundtrack is in DTS-HD MA rather than DTS-HD HR.)

4. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

My receiver + speakers was less than $500. So I assume I won't hear a huge difference.

Should I expect the sound to be similar to a DVD? If that's the case, I'll be fine since DVD has OK sound.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The dogs in your block thank you. ;)

6. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

In that case you probably won't be able to discern any difference between the two. Just to be clear, though, there are no hard and fast rules--I'm speaking in generalities and from my experience.

Not only would the sound be similar, it would be exactly like a DVD. The non-HD DTS track is the same DTS encoding as found on DVDs.