Dual 24" LED Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by klmckenzie03, Aug 20, 2009.

1. klmckenzie03 macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone here was running dual 24" LED Cinema Displays with their Pro? I will most likely be buying a Pro after Snow Leopard is released and would like to run dual 24"s. It has already been confirmed that in order to do this I will need to outfit my Pro with dual video cards due to the nature of the mini display port connections. My main question is, will I be able to use the speakers on both monitors or will I only be able to use a single set? If only a single set, is there a way to control which ones are active? If both sets can be used simultaneously does the volume control on the keyboard, or menu bar control both sets, or are they somehow controlled independently?

I'm pretty sure I remember a discussion on this forum a while back discussing this matter as well as the issue of choosing which webcam is active but I cannot seem to locate it.

2. dubaimac macrumors regular

I'm running two 24's on 2 GT120's, you can only have sound through one, set in system preferences, I haven't come across another way of forcing both, you can swap between cameras in skype etc, confuses whoever you are speaking to!!!!!!! I have mine mounted on ergotron terminator arms, works great.

3. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

Are 2 GT120 te best option to run 2 24"ACD? I mean for edditting purposes. Will there be matte versions of thses acd?

4. dubaimac macrumors regular

2 x GT120's is your only option at the moment, there is no way to turn DVI to MDP, only the other way around, no idea about :apple:'s plans for a matte display, your guess is as good as mine, but these are good, damn good.

5. dekka007 macrumors member

2x GT120 is NOT the only option to run 2 24" displays.

You could run 1 x 4870 and 1 x GT120 which i think is the better way of doing it.

6. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

Why ??????

7. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

I read at the apple site that only 1 GT120 is enough for 2 ACD, so why do I need two cards????? (max 4 card for 8 displays does the site mention).

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

One GT120 is enough for 2 ACDs. But not for two 24" LED Cinemas.

Review the tech. spec sites, it should be clear to you then.

9. klmckenzie03 thread starter macrumors member

The GT120's have two outputs. One being a Mini Display Port and the other being a dual layer DVI port. To my knowledge a DVI to Mini Display Port adapter does not currently exist and this is why you must have two separate video cards if you want to use dual 24" LED Cinema Displays.

10. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Yes, that is correct. And I'd recommend getting the 4870 with a GT120 as for the little extra cost over 2 x GT120's you get so much more power :)

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Exactly. Put the 4870 in Slot 1 and the GT 120 in Slot 2.

12. klmckenzie03 thread starter macrumors member

The main thing I will be using my Pro for is a file server and basic desktop apps like Mail, Safari, iTunes, and the iWork/iLife suite. Occasionally I will rent an iTunes movie but I'm not a gamer nor do I use any professional video/audio editing apps. Would you still recommend the ATI and the GT120, or do you think the two GT120's will be fine? Keep in mind I would also like to keep the cost down as much as possible as the Pro may already be a bit of an overkill for me. There seems to be quite a bit of dislike towards the GT120's. I am not sure why, but then again I don't know a whole lot about them to begin with. Thanks for all the help!

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

2 GT120's would be perfect for your needs then. Also about 200 USD cheaper too.

14. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I'm an editor and I've got 2 24" LED's hooked up to a 4870 and a gt120. It works perfectly :)

Sorry for the crappy quality, from my iphone...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Capt. Corduroy macrumors newbie

The Captain wants to know what keyboard that is.

16. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The Captain will know that the keyboard is a Logitech diNovo Edge™. I could be wrong, but that's what I got from the picture.

17. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

18. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Yeah it's a dinovo edge mac edition keyboard, and a logitech mx518 mouse. I HAD to go with a wired mouse because every single mouse i've ever had for gaming that is wireless has dropped out at one point or another and I can't have that when i'm dragging a file somewhere.

The keyboard is amazing tho. Best i've ever had. Wireless and still says "Over a 30 day charge left" just from charging it for 2 hours.

Mac pro is a 8 core, 12 gigs of ram and a 4870.

Thanks guys! And I would recommend the 4870 if you've got the money! :)

19. klmckenzie03 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the pics brock, that is an amazing setup! I can't wait for mine!

20. dimme macrumors 65816

Why do you need/want 2 - 24" screens for that type of work. IMO there are much better displays out there. I use Eizo 30" at work and I feel it is much better to have one nice display. I hate shuffling between 2 displays (my old setup)

21. klmckenzie03 thread starter macrumors member

I really haven't made up my mind yet on just what I am going to do. I was just trying to get some input as to how the speakers worked. I am currently using a 24" iMac which I bought a little over a year ago. Before that I was using a 15" LCD hooked to a Windows box. We won't go there...! Anyhow, even though I have significantly upgraded my screen size there are times that the iMac can get a little crowded and there is a lot of overlap. I love Expose, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it. My initial instinct is to go with the dual 24"s but a 30" is also a possibility. There are times though when it would be nice to be able to have a video playing on one screen while working with files, etc. on the other. It is also nice to have your iTunes library maximized so you can quickly select music. This second screen would be great for that. My ultimate plan was to get an Ergotron dual mount for them as to make the most of my desk space. Constructive criticism is welcome!

22. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Let me ask you this... Do u have everything else u need for your setup? Mouse keyboard speakers etc? If so I would spring for 2 monitors. Get the videocard and buy a refurbished monitor or two and save yourself $400-$500 and still covered by the same warrenty.

23. klmckenzie03 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should have mentioned that my intentions were just that. I have read some great experiences everyone has had with the refurbished 24" displays so I will most definitely be getting one, if not two refurbs. As you said they are damn near half off and come with the same warranty.

24. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

Great looking set up! how much did those two screens cost you?

25. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

brock2621

I really like the setup, but why spend all that money on a Machine, and put it on a $99.00 crap desk.

I had the same desk from Best Buy about 6 years ago, and just got rid of it. Man I hated that thing.