Dual Boot Mac Leopard with OS 9??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nacintosh, Nov 4, 2009.

1. nacintosh macrumors newbie

Hey Everybody

I have an old Powerbook G4 1.33GHz. Which is Mac OS9 Compatible. Is it possible to dual boot this system with OS9 and Leopard. I really want to upgrade from tiger but I don't want to lose classic support. If it is possible to do this could you tell me how or point me to a website that can show me.

Any answer would be great!! :)

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

"Classic" refers to running OS-9 within OS-X. But, the last PB G4 to boot to OS-9 was the 1GHz titanium. AFAIK, none of the aluminum models can boot directly to OS-9. If you need an OS-9 app on this machine, you'll have to stick with Tiger & Classic.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your G4 is able to boot into OS9 unlike some other G4s that only allowed you to run "classic" under OSX, you should be fine installing Leopard. If however you want/need classic and don't/can't boot into OS9 directly then you're only option is to stick with tiger.

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Or, to partition the drive with both Leopard and Tiger+OS9.

You would need only something like 10-12 GB for the Tiger partition.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Relegate Tiger to an external, bootable drive. Can use for Classic when you need it. IF you partition internal drive, you may need to partition under Tiger, then install Leopard on partition. I'm not sure you can install "backwards" if you partition via Leioard, then try to reinstall Tiger.