Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Yes, it's good that Apple is spending it's acquisition money wisely and not spending $3 billion on a second-rate headphone company ....

Apparently enough people buy Beats products.

You do know that Beats made and makes a lot of money on hardware sales? Their annual revenues were above $1bn when Apple bought them (and with good margins). Some numbers:

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/article...s-money-on-the-table-again-in-deal-with-apple

Therefore $3.2 bn was a steal considering Apple also got the basics for Apple Music (including an Android client and interesting music match algorithms) with the deal.

Compare these numbers to what FB, Google and other giants wasted on "tech" companies with little to no revenue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave245

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I think if the tech is ready and the implementation seems practical (to them), they will include it in the 7. If it's not ready yet, they'll save it for the 7S.

I don't think Apple regularly holds tech back for 12 months if they have it ready. They aren't that generous to their competitors.

Of course they are, they did exactly that with NFC and wireless charging.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Of course they are, they did exactly that with NFC and wireless charging.
I disagree. They weren't ready for NFC payments (they didn't have the agreements yet with enough banks and vendors for handling the tokenized account numbers). They are still not ready for general purpose NFC, because they don't yet have a way to enable it without risking the security of the mobile payments system that is integrated on the NFC chip.

Wireless charging isn't ready either. If the rumors are to be believed, Apple is working on a wireless charging solution where the phone doesn't have to be placed on a charging mat. You can charge the phone by having it within a certain distance from the charger. You can even be using the device while it's charging. Systems that require the device to be placed on a mat are more convenient for charging when you're not using the device, but less convenient for charging while you use the device. According to recent news stories, Apple is still trying to overcome technical hurdles.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
1. Apple needs to give us some native photography modes: aperture priority, shutter priority, etc. The world's most popular camera doesn't offer its users much to learn more about how to take great pictures.

I thought that the iPhone's camera used a fixed aperture rather than a variable aperture. Hence, no A mode. (Truth be told, the range of useful aperture settings is limited by the image sensor size-- my APS-C camera produces its sharpest images between f/4 and f/11. (There's some softness at wider apertures.) A full frame camera might be able to push this out to f22. A 4x5 inch view camera is still sharp past f/64. Conversely. a 1/3 inch sensor, such as used in a cell phone, is diffraction limited above f/4.

Diffraction limited photography.

So given that blurring out backgrounds is extremely difficult with a small sensor camera, and closing down the aperture is likely as not to produce a degraded image, rather than a sharper one, there's no point in including A mode. Since the metering system is biased toward very slow shutter speeds, "S" mode is still useful.

JohnO1961

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2016
Now if the laws of physics could enable us to have optical zoom the same as a 400mm lens on a phone, I'd be set.

It is really, really close. All they need is a full sized sensor, a high quality lens, a raw capture format and or real colorspace image processing, and an upgraded processor with real high speed storage options, then they will be there. So in summary - sensor, lens, processor, software, storage and we're all set.

Or you could buy a camera.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I'm a little bit annoyed when people use DSLR as a synonym for "really good camera" without much practical experience of using one. Given that mirrorless cameras can also have large sensors and interchangeable lenses, here's a rundown on the practical implications of using a dlsr.

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
I totally agree, but maybe just maybe... currently it would be not possible to add this technology on a smaller 4.7" iPhone. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense. 4.7" model is much more popular then the larger one.
[doublepost=1453967020][/doublepost]

Big enough to add the extra technology needed. On devices like that, few inches of free space would make a huge difference.
At first I was in the 4.7" iPhone 6 bandwagon. However, upon seeing the 5.5" version in person I quickly realized that was the version to go for. Heck if possible I would even go for a 6.0"iPhone 7 if it was to exist lol!

kat.la

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2016
1. Apple needs to give us some native photography modes: aperture priority, shutter priority, etc. The world's most popular camera doesn't offer its users much to learn more about how to take great pictures.

Most people are not using their camera for "photography" though it's like selfies, events, their kids, etc. Nobody has time to be flicking through settings. Even the synthetic blur is going to make photos worse because it will be more difficult to keep the image in focus. We will now have to start worrying about focusing issues and what not, making sure a group is in focus etc. which will be more of a hassle than anything else for your average person, or older people for example.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
We will now have to start worrying about focusing issues and what not, making sure a group is in focus etc. which will be more of a hassle than anything else for your average person, or older people for example.

image-20160218-1243-r4cm05.JPG

The author of this news story could definitely have used some of the manual features associated with a good camera. Instead, the camera guessed, it guessed wrong, and the wrong things are in focus, and the reporter, and his newspaper has to live with it.

(The rancher aksing the question is of primary importance, the lecturer is of secondary importance, the fact that there's a stove in the adjoining room is of very little importance, but guess what the camera prioritized? Additionally, the skin tones are more than a little off. I tend to photograph in raw, and correct the color in post production, but I hear that Reuters frowns on such tricks these days.)

My DLSR allows me to use full auto mode if I choose to do so-- it's right there, in green, on the exposure mode dial. It also allows me to override nearly every recommendation, from how the meter measures light, to how the autofocus tracks subjects, to what sort of aperture to use.

A better camera for the iPhone would be one that allows the user to override the the iPhone's poor choices.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Actually untrue... and the XTI is a mirrorless camera which you may as well call a DSLR. However, the XTI has a cropped sensor. Meaning bokeh quality isn't nearly as good as say a Canon 5D3 or a Nikon D810. And the XTI doesn't have nearly the dynamic range of the aforementioned cameras... a critical element in pro photography. The XTI is more of an enthusiast camera than a pro cam.... but a good cam nonetheless.

Late responding to this but this is such a load of drivel and nonsense I cannot take it. You take your "pro" camera and I'll be happy with mine. I've seen a lot of "Pros" walking around with 5D3's and beyond who can't manage their way out of a paper bag and then seen proper "pros" with less kit who can produce amazing results.

Wow your comment is EVERYTHING wrong with photographers these days. Gear gear gear gear.

Edit : And since I know you'll argue it. I will use your same logic. Your 5D3 is more of an "enthusiast camera" because it isn't a Hasselblad or other medium format camera. I mean, the dynamic range on these is so much better, obviously your gear is just not up to par for pro photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordVic

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I could rant, but there's very little in his comment that is actually factualyl correct. Don't lump in all photographers. he's commenting about something he doesn't seem to really understand.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Edit : And since I know you'll argue it. I will use your same logic. Your 5D3 is more of an "enthusiast camera" because it isn't a Hasselblad or other medium format camera. I mean, the dynamic range on these is so much better, obviously your gear is just not up to par for pro photos.

The Hasselblad H5D has a frame rate of 50 frames per minute. The Nikon 5D can capture 12 frames per second. A professional portrait photographer might opt for the former, while a professional sports photographer might gravitate to the latter.

As for bokeh, photojournalists, like landscape photographers, often prefer deep focus, as their subjects are best seen in context.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Late responding to this but this is such a load of drivel and nonsense I cannot take it. You take your "pro" camera and I'll be happy with mine. I've seen a lot of "Pros" walking around with 5D3's and beyond who can't manage their way out of a paper bag and then seen proper "pros" with less kit who can produce amazing results.

Wow your comment is EVERYTHING wrong with photographers these days. Gear gear gear gear.

I joined a thread that was talking about gear. lol....

I rarely talk gear unless the subject is brought up. At the end of the day what matters most is LIGHT. But gear plays a part from optics to DR. But I've seen some amazing shots on crappy gear because their lighting was phenomenal.

Show me your portfolio and I'll show you mine.....

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I joined a thread that was talking about gear. lol....

I rarely talk gear unless the subject is brought up. At the end of the day what matters most is LIGHT. But gear plays a part from optics to DR. But I've seen some amazing shots on crappy gear because their lighting was phenomenal.

Show me your portfolio and I'll show you mine.....

I had written a big long argument to yours but I deleted it since it was nonsense to reply with it.

Why do you need to see my portfolio? Never did I claim my abilities to be great (they aren't, I capture a decent shot every now and then but I enjoy the process in general), so where does that have any bearing on this?

Here, since we know lesser gear than "pro" gear can't take photos in anything but perfect light I'll just leave this here. There are a number of other sites that detail other non pro gear (I have no argument with a manufacturer, just the absurd notion that gear makes someone a pro).

http://photosfujiscanttake.tumblr.com/

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
iOS 8 actually introduced APIs for direct camera controls in third party camera apps. Though aperture priority is impossible as these tiny smartphone camera modules do not have adjustable apertures.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
The Hasselblad H5D has a frame rate of 50 frames per minute. The Nikon 5D can capture 12 frames per second. A professional portrait photographer might opt for the former, while a professional sports photographer might gravitate to the latter.

As for bokeh, photojournalists, like landscape photographers, often prefer deep focus, as their subjects are best seen in context.

But the discussion here is that it can't be pro unless it meets some arbitrary benchmark, so if the 5D3 is the mark of a Pro but somehow a Fuji APS-C is not .. then obviously the 5D3 is not a pro in the light of a medium format camera.

See, you can go on and on if that's the reasoning one takes. Gear != Pro, it never has and it never will.

I could rant, but there's very little in his comment that is actually factualyl correct. Don't lump in all photographers. he's commenting about something he doesn't seem to really understand.

Sorry, I shouldn't say "everything wrong with photographers" .. I just hate seeing this stuff repeated over and over.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
I had written a big long argument to yours but I deleted it since it was nonsense to reply with it.

Why do you need to see my portfolio? Never did I claim my abilities to be great (they aren't, I capture a decent shot every now and then but I enjoy the process in general), so where does that have any bearing on this?

Here, since we know lesser gear than "pro" gear can't take photos in anything but perfect light I'll just leave this here. There are a number of other sites that detail other non pro gear (I have no argument with a manufacturer, just the absurd notion that gear makes someone a pro).

http://photosfujiscanttake.tumblr.com/

Never in any of this did I say that gear made one professional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.