Dual Core Quad Core Dilemma (27inch)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Oct 29, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Ok well maybe it's not quite a dilemma but..

I've got £1100 and my girlfriend is a University student so will get the 13% off

I can get the dual core iMac 27inch, But I was thinking about saving up a bit more for the quad core... However will I notice any difference between the two considering its mainly for personal use and wont be doing anything to intense, Watching films/videos, Itunes, documents.

It's just the wow factor of having a "quad core" processor.

Thanks

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

The age old saying goes that if you don't need it, don't bother!

However I have a quad Mac Pro and have to say that it is blisteringly fast and if you ever plan on trying anything processor intensive on your computer then you won't regret it.

Factor in the fact that you are future proofing yourself as well as the Quad will go much longer than the Dual.

3. sleyeu macrumors 6502

get the quad.

you will feel better now and in a few years time.

imho

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

£1100 is a ton of money to spend on a computer. You can buy a decent car for that kind of cash.

I don't understand why people are so desperate to buy these machines at these prices. Dell will sell you their 24-inch XPS One for £679 and it will be just as fast as the iMac at every task you are asking of it.

If you don't want an all-in-one (really, who does? you can't upgrade them and they are basically just laptops on their side) then you can save even more money by shopping around.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Unless you have a specific need for tons of processor power, you should spend any extra cash in this order:

1. External drive for backup (you MUST have that)
    2. More RAM
    3. A second monitor. You can never have enough space :)
    4. Faster processor.

6. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

My bet is that most people buy macs for their 'wow-factor', many of them also seem to rationalize their decision. You're just being fair, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the quad. You don't need permission to buy the quad. If the 'wow-factor' is worth money in your eyes, I see no problem with you deciding to spend yours on that. Be well aware that the 'wow-factor' will wear off, although even that may take a long long time.

Edit:
    I don't fully agree, here's why:
    1. Prudent, but only his documents are important. That leaves open a lot of alternatives (e.g. Cloud (i.e. Google/Apple/Norton and a whole lot of others.), CDs and DVDs (they're more expensive price/MB-wise but cheaper qua price de facto because you don't have to buy 500GB to beging with.).
    2. There is sufficient RAM available for light work.
    3. True, but that also applies to his (I presume the OP is male) desk space.
    4. Faster processor = manlier--everybody knows that;).

Ergo: Buy a bigger car.

7. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

hmmm decision decisions :)

I guess thats a good idea, for long term use! just the price... Owch!!

8. sleyeu macrumors 6502

this defeats the point of getting a mac :(

9. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Got a 1tb WD Elements External HD

Nooo, I dont want 2 monitors :)

You can upgrade the processor at a later stage?

10. Passels macrumors member

If thats all your doing i think the base model is plenty..... that 27in LED is gonna look just as sweet. Quad cores are only good for labor intensive uses and you will see little to no difference in your basic functions... The base model is still a great machine...

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No. The only component which you can upgrade later is the RAM. Everything else is soldered to the motherboard and CANNOT be replaced or updated.

12. sleyeu macrumors 6502

you cant upgrade a processor unless you have extreme skillz with a soldering iron, computer knowhow and luck. oh yeah a new processor and know if OSX can see that you have a better processor. - could someone explain this better?

but if you want to upgrade a processor... i think you should look at a better machine or buy a new machine (if this is in 2+ years time)

you can also change the hard drive i believe.

and remove the super drive, but i dont know why you would want to do that ;)

13. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

+1, the prices for this new technology will drop very fast over the next year, and you might regret what you paid for it a year from now

14. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

I would get the dual, it will be futureproof enough and the quad won't really help you much unless you do uber intensive stuff[​IMG]

15. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Thanks, it's not my intentions to upgrade the processor, just someone suggested it in one of the above replies.

Does anyone know when the Quad Core iMacs will be available in November?

Im still indecisive, As I think I'll only need to save an extra £250 to get the Quad Core, But that £270 could go on something else. I guess I'll just go with the flow, and see what happens

16. sleyeu macrumors 6502

go into an apple shop play with imovie on a dual and a quad core. you might get some info >:/

17. Passels macrumors member

Unfortunately noone knows. I've been checking everyday for a status update. I ordered the i5

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

This is a Mac forum, get use to it. If you're asking why would someone want a Mac, go to PC forums. Dell's XPS One is no where near quad-core iMac.

Woz: Get the quad because with C2D, you won't see noticeable speed bump from your old MBP

19. sleyeu macrumors 6502

thats the attitude!

also dont forget the "futeru proofing" and the higher resale value later on.
    theres always refurb buyers who want a mac but cant afford...

20. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Thanks for all the feedback!

I think Im going to hold out till the release of the quad core, will have the money for it then, if it is the end of November.

:D

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The processors are still socketed in the iMac. Not that it's something easy to reach.

Either your choices in the iMac are Late 2007 CPU performance or Late 2009 and how big is your wallet.

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

He won't see any noticeable speed bump with the Quad either. None of the tasks he mentions require or will benefit at all from a quad core processor.

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Maybe, maybe not. For 250£ (even less through edu store) he will get twice as much CPU power and a lot better GPU. IMO that's almost nothing for what you get. At least it'll be more "future proof" and have better resale value.

24. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The prices for ANY new computer technology WILL drop over the next year. If you're argument is that technology will get better, therefor the OP should wait, then they'll be waiting forever. :rolleyes:

25. nOw2 macrumors regular

No you can't ;)
    I've had cheap runabouts before but never again.

I want an all in one. Of all the PCs I've ever bought I've never upgraded anything. By the time the CPU is too slow, the motherboard is so old it doesn't support the latest (even if the same socket is in use). The PSU then lacks the correct variation on the ATX connector for a new motherboard. Etc.

In two years of iMac ownership, it has just run and run with no intervention. After two years, I can sell it for 50% of purchase price and buy new. A little like a car analogy.

To the original poster: buy what you have the money for. The C2D machines are not bad at all, remember that even the cheapest Mac is not a low-end machine.