Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrumpAppleTax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
Can I use dual LG Ultrafine 4k 23.7" via daisy chaining from my PC or do I have to use 2 separate displayport to usb-c cables from my graphics card?

My Windows Desktop does not have a thunderbolt 3 header or port.
I have an Asus Strix 1080 Ti in my PC and was wondering if I could run 2 Ultrafine 4k displays from there without thunderbolt.

robertgruss

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
You will need two separate DisplayPort to USB-C cables. I had two LG UltraFine 4k 23.7" displays that were daisy-chained together by one of the TB3 cables that came with the monitors. My MacBook was able to drive both monitors with just a single TB3 cable running from the laptop to the primary monitor. For my PC, I had to use two Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cables. The daisy-chain setup did not work when plugged into my graphics card's (2080TI) USB-C/VirtaulLink or DisplayPort ports nor did it work when plugged into the TB3 port of my motherboard (ASRock Z390 Phantom m-ITX).

TrumpAppleTax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
You will need two separate DisplayPort to USB-C cables. I had two LG UltraFine 4k 23.7" displays that were daisy-chained together by one of the TB3 cables that came with the monitors. My MacBook was able to drive both monitors with just a single TB3 cable running from the laptop to the primary monitor. For my PC, I had to use two Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cables. The daisy-chain setup did not work when plugged into my graphics card's (2080TI) USB-C/VirtaulLink or DisplayPort ports nor did it work when plugged into the TB3 port of my motherboard (ASRock Z390 Phantom m-ITX).
So all I need for dual monitor use are 2 Moshi cables and no need for a thunderbolt cable to connect both monitors to each other?

I'm not fussed about needing a one cable setup. Using however many cables needed get both Ultrafine 4k to work with my Windows PC is no problem.

If I can only control the brightness of the monitor on my macbook pro 13, does the brightness stay the same if I switch to my Windows Desktop?
[automerge]1593090943[/automerge]
The daisy-chain setup did not work when plugged into my graphics card's (2080TI) USB-C/VirtaulLink or DisplayPort ports nor did it work when plugged into the TB3 port of my motherboard (ASRock Z390 Phantom m-ITX).
Thanks for the info. I was seriously considering switching my 8700k, asus z390, 1080ti for an Asrock x570 itx/tb3, 3700x and 5700xt combo just so I can use the daisy-chain feature with the asrock mobo thunderbolt port. Looks like I won't have to daisy-chain the monitors if I understood what you wrote correctly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.