Dual Monitor Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smogsy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

I Was Going to Buy My Mac Pro Next Jan Time, But fell into alot more cash as ive sold my PC's

Here is the Spec Im Getting
    2x2.8Ghz Xeon
    8GB Crucial + 2GB Apple
    500GB Stock
    1TB Samsung F1
    8800GT
    2600xt (if 3)

I Want a Dual Monitor Setup at the very least to with my Mac Pro

Uses
    Photoshop,Dream,Xcode,FireFox,Itunes,Adium,IRC,Live Feed,Flash,Email,FTP are normally open constantly sometimes a few instances of the same program. such as 4 windows Of Firefox With Mutiple Tabs

What Would You Choose? Or Have You Got a Dual Monitor Setup And Have Advice?

Setup Idea 1:
    2 30inch 3008WFP Monitors

Setup Idea 2:
    1 30inch Dell 3008WFP + 2 2408WFP Vertical + 2600xt
    like this link http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C1gTjRrarFU

thanks for the advice

2. nurivo macrumors member

24" won't really fit next to a 30" screen, they'd be too high. The monitors in the video are 20".

I'd always go for 2 30" screens, I find the space to be far more usable than with two additional screens in portrait mode.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

As nurivo said, they are 20" displays on the ends. If you want them all to line up perfectly then you will need 2007FP displays (non-widescreen).

4. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

i run 2 24" dell 2405's and there awesome i do want a third one tho to be uber geeky lol

5. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

I have three monitors (see my sig) and when i'm not editing its kind of wasteful. Two monitors is manageable but three is just an overload on the brain

6. Imperil macrumors member

I originally tried the single 30" with dual 20"s on the sides but sent the 20s back and bought two more 30's. The three 30s are just perfect and give a massive amount of workspace if you need it.

7. MrRage macrumors member

well lets see...

I've got a Mac Pro with a 8800GT and powering two 23" ACD displays. Currently the displays are mounted to a dual monitor mount. I've gotten very use to this setup but honestly 80% of my work is done on the main display. So I feel that I'm underutilizing the second display.

I've got some pictures of it on my camera so I could post one if you'd like (once I find the camera)

8. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. MrRage macrumors member

Alright found the camera.

So here are the two pictures -- one with and one with out the stand. I really like the stand because it raises the monitors to about the hight of the 30" monitors and also allows me to get both monitors basicity touching one another with out them clanging together when I type. When they were freestanding I had to keep larger distance between them to prevent that.

Currently the stand is a food too the left which matches the original layout I had. This way I have one monitor basically in front of me and the second to my left. having the displays split down the center got really annoying after a while.

Attached Files:

10. The ResQ Shop macrumors newbie

I went a little crazy

I got so involved with my video real estate I had to build a custom desk. The pics don't show the additional 19in that will be added next week at the top left of the "frame".

WW

PS The green on the left is my green screen that I'm using for my video projects currently. Thats a 48" main screen driven by a 2008 MacPro below the desk. MBPro on the left and a Widow PC on the right. 20in Dell flatscreen at top right mounted on tubular frame. The new 19in flatscreen will mount above the MBPro on the left.

Attached Files:

11. MatchFrame macrumors member

I like your setup and was just wondering where you purchased your desk?

12. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Its not the prettiest but I like it. 24" gateway on the right, 17" NEC wall mounted to the left. I use the 17 to watch downloaded TV shows while I work on the 24", or watch HD movies/TV on the 24 and work on the 17.

Next on my list is to replace the desk and keyboard.

Attached Files:

• dual.jpg
      dual.jpg
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
  13. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks guys,

that 24inch looks massive im currently using 22inch. 30 is going to be a huge step up i think,

i might need to get 4870x2 if its released for mac so i can game at full res :(

14. The ResQ Shop macrumors newbie

Didn't. I designed and built the desk myself. Frame is 2" square tubing. Top is black marble tile. Frame for monitor and laptop mounts is 1" black pipe steele. Total desk without electronics weighs in around 300lbs. Laptop trays are sheet steele with PC fans built into the bottoms for improved cooling. 4 channel KVM switch and fan speed controls built into the keyboard recess along with a toggle for the spots at the top of the frame. Approximately $500 with all electronics, welding and misc expenses.

I can stand on the keyboard tray and not even flex the desk....it's SOLID.

WW

15. Imperil macrumors member

The 30s are really nice due to the amazing 2560x1600 resolution. I needed a high resolution for desktop space (currently use 7680x1600) and I try to take up the smallest amount of space possible. Below is my current setup which I use for development but also for trading, I used to have to have 6 22s for trading and so going to the 30s let me save space and actually have usable desktop space for development and games, etc.

Attached Files:

16. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

Wow, thats a whole lotta monitor. You should have saved a few bucks and bought a guitar stand. :D

17. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

definty getting 2 30inch (3008wfp dell) but, might get a 3rd now ive seen it :)

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

On my home systems at the moment, I run a 23-30-23 config on one of my Pros, and a 30-30 / 23-23 config on the others. On the Skulltrails I run a single 27" each as they run in SLI, and on the Dell T7400's I run a 24-24 and 30-3. My work desktops range from a single 23 to quad-24.

Personally, I like compartmentalising my work onscreen and I find that while virtual desktops are a nice fix if you're definitely restricted like on a laptop, there's no substitute for multiple monitors if you like to get a lot done at once.

The dot pitch difference between the 23 or 24" and a 30" isn't a major issue I have to say - I don't find it hugely distracting to go from one to the other, and to me the 23/4 - 30 - 23/4 represents the best compromise of being able to take in the most information with the minimum head/eye movement, workspace compartmentalisation and desk space taken up.

The 24" portrait - 30 - 24 seems like an interesting idea, but generally speaking unless you spend a lot of time in documentation I think it might be a good idea to keep all the monitors landscape.

20. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. FireSlash macrumors member

Just a heads up on your original post, the rotation trick that guy did works with his monitors, it won't work on all. I have a Samsung 204b I tried this with but the viewing angle makes it useless.

22. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

just so you can see where they will be used:
    [​IMG]

im unsure howq to position them?
    1 straighnt on and one on left at a angle maybe?

im getting 2x30inch btw

23. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

This is how I setup my 2 x 3007WFP-HC... I am going to get a 3rd and remove that "Tiny" 17' Samsung.. :)

Setup:

[​IMG]

24. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

This thread has me excited and stumped. I just picked up a 2408WFP and would like to add 2 monitors to either side (much like the OPs post with the 30" Dell and the 2 20" Dell in portrait mode). Looking at the Dell site however I can't seem to figure out which monitors to get so everything lines up. Help! Thanks. :)

25. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

Umm sorry but:

Yahon: WOWZIES. You've just changed my mind from ACDs to Dells. Yessiree. 5 yr warranty here I come. :) Buying thurs.