Dual Monitors on Macbook Pro 2017

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mordzy, Jul 6, 2017.

1. mordzy macrumors newbie

So im in a dilemma as my old macbook drives two external screens and its own with no issues.

This new macbook pro's with the usb-c connections are a nightmare for connectivity. I thought id found a solution in the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 dock or the Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock but when reading reviews id realised I'm not going to be able to connect my existing LG Screens that are HDMI.

https://nerdtechy.com/elgato-thunderbolt-3-dock-review

https://nerdtechy.com/belkin-thunderbolt-3-express-dock-hd-review

While i can convert the display port on the dock to hdmi the other connect (thunderbolt 3) says that it doesn't support converting to HDMI.

The only option i can see is using two apple Digital AV adaptors that have usb. However, id have dongles/adaptors allover the place as i need one for gigabit ethernet and of course my charger.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? other than buying expensive thunderbolt monitors? Or keeping my previous gen mac?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

3. mordzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive found this but it seems to require and adaptor from usb c to hdmi to work... this is fine. What is confusing is the review of the other docs that are essentially the same say that using the adaptor from usb c is not possible...

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-3-dock/thunderbolt-station-3/index-uk.asp
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    But i also need a USB ethernet adaptor, my AC adaptor and an occasional usb c to usb a for flash drives etc. all hanging out of the machine. Id prefer something more aesthetically pleasing

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Alright so basically USB-C is a multi-port technology, meaning it is not channel restrictive like Ethernet/USB/Video/Audio etc. It is a truly 'Universal Serial Bus', however most tech is still using dedicated ports such as HDMI. So what this means is you can use USB-C for pretty much anything, whereas HDMI can only be used for Audio/Video/DRM. Eventually more things will be USB-C on both ends, but for now you need cables to switch signals in order to connect to the various ports. But this is good, as it's not something you could do before.

The other thing to bear in mind is the channel bandwidth, Thunderbolt 3 is not the same as USB-C, they just use the same connector. TB3 is vastly quicker than standard USB-C, and therefore there is a lot more you can do with it. A USB-C dock might not have enough bandwidth to put all those signals through a single port, whereas TB3 does. So that may lead to some confusion as a lot is marketed the same way but different specs.

So you don't need a dongle or adapter, you just need cables. What an adapter gives you is the option of using a straight forward solution. So if you get a USB-C -> HDMI cable, you'd need to use this all the time. Whereas if you got a USB-C -> HDMI adapter, it effectively turns the USB-C port into a female HDMI port, allowing you to use any HDMI cable to make the connection.

Looking at that dock, you'll need 1 USB-C -> HDMI cable (Or adapter as I mentioned, depending on your wants), and 1 DisplayPort to HDMI (DP/HDMI are the same thing, except DP was made for PCs and doesn't carry audio, HDMI was made for TVs; HDMI lacks port retention grips).

That's a bit long winded but I hope explains a few things for you to better understand. You may be seeing some docks don't support multiple monitors and it'll be because they can't support the bandwidth to drive them over a single cable. The only other thing to be aware of (Although shouldn't be a huge issue) is I don't think 4K 60hz can be dually driven from the same port, I think that requires using 1 on each side.

Hope that's fairly clear for you?