Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Is anyone out there running a dual display Mac with an AGP 2x, Quartz Extreme and a PCI video card for the 2nd monitor.

Just wondering how well the UI feels with one monitor getting QE acceleration and the other not.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It feels fine.

No real issues and not real noticable _except_ with Expose. Expose is not really very usable with one screen non-QE and the other QE.

I've ordered a card to get dual QE for my quicksilver as a result.

But for day to day stuff otherwise, it's fine.

arn

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Cool.

I've got a Radeon 8500 at home so both monitors get QE but here at work, my G4 500 has the original AGP Rage 128 card and a PCI Rage 128 card. My company won't buy me another video card since the only reason I have a Mac is because it would be collecting dust otherwise.

<rant>(Never mind it's doing a better job for my Java development than my Win2K machine!) :rolleyes: </rant>

So I'm thinking about pikcing up a cheap Radeon AGP card for $40 on eBay - it's not a dual monitor one though. I can buy a dual monitor nVidia card there for about $70 too. The question then is, is $30 extra bucks (plus an ADC-->VGA adapter) worth it for both displays to be QE accelerated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.