dual monitors worth it ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jetjaguar, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

currently have a 27 and was thinking of adding a second.. worth it ?

2. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

i do not even know how to use win8 but i have it under boot camp and was wondering if i could add a touchscreen monitor and the touch would work?

3. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

please do not threadjack. start your own.

in response to the OP, I would not and could not go back to a single monitor.

4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

What size monitors are you using? Do you have next to each other or do u have one centered in front of you and the other to the side?

5. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

I thought i was giving the OP food for thought, sorry I if it offended you.

6. mcfx macrumors member

I am considering going from two 24" monitors to a single 27" or 30" monitor. I sometimes get neck pain after having to turn my head between the two monitors.

7. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i think im going to return my 27 cuz there is something wrong with it and im gonna get a dell 3014

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Depending on what you do on the computer and how much desk space you have it can be very helpful. For software development it's a pain to work on a single monitor. I used to use 2 monitors at the office but used the single laptop screen when on-call. Using the single small screen was painful if I had a difficult problem. A single wide screen monitor does an adequate job for me now since I'm retired and don't have to deal with IDEs and database screens.

9. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i think i just miss the vertical height of the 30

10. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I think two monitors is always better than one big one. You can organise your windows a bit more gracefully. I do a lot of work where I have a bunch of stuff that I need to look at, while I'm working in another window. Two monitors allows two full size windows, rather than subdividing one rectangle somehow.

I don't think it's a secret that there are several improvements to Full Screen and Mission Control in 10.9 that make 2 monitors really productive.

11. theluggage macrumors 68030

Once you've used dual screens, one is never enough... Might get even more useful with 10.9's improved support for multiple screens & full-screen apps (not that its a huge problem with 10.7/10.8).

Personally - I'd go for 1 x 27" to go with a laptop (where the 27" will be the main screen) or 2x24" with a desktop. I think its easier to make good use of all the space that way.

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

This sums it up nicely.

13. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

thanks for all the help guys. the 27 i am using is nice but for some reason I am missing the vertical height of a 30 .. might get one 30 and then another down the road when it goes on sale or a refurb

14. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

15. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

lol not like that .. i mean i have a 27 in front of me and it just looks weird cuz its not that tall .. its hard to explain. Makes the monitor look tiny on my desk .. I even thought the imac looked tiny but the chin made it look bigger than it was

16. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Sounds like the 16:10 is throwing you off. With all the 'full HD' marketing, it's not easy finding a 5:4 anymore.

17. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

18. Designed4Mac macrumors 6502

Designed4Mac

Have to agree with you there. Not the best pic but dual 24's is plenty for me.

Had to get one replaced a couple of months ago and i was going mad to the point i didn't even want to use it with just one monitor.

Attached Files:

19. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

nice setup .. 24s are too small for me .. really even 27 i cant stand even though im using one .. wasnt too bad on my iMac though.

ahh im so confused .. should i just keep this 27 i have and add another one .. or return it and get a single 30 .. i could get another 27 and it would cost about the same as a single 30.

I am really interested next year when dell releases their 32in UHD monitor .. but im hearing it is gonna be at least 2k and not really a good monitor for games because of slow response time.

20. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

how does that even make sense?

21. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

It's hard to explain. I guess because of the chin on the iMac it gives the illusion of the monitor being bigger. The dell 27 just looks kinda small.

22. cosmicjoke, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Adjust the height on the dell, maybe that will give you an illusion :p

But I dunno, there are more pixels per inch on the 27".... if it were up to me, i'd have a 27" 2560x1600 screen heh, even though no such monitor exists (the 27" are 1440p)

23. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I'm using the imac in my sig and have a TBD. imac is primary screen and I sit slightly towards the imac more.

24. Hoko222 macrumors newbie

theardjacking

I thought that was a joke when I read that, then I realized you were serious. Here is my response.

I agree that "threadajacking" should be illegal and I know congress has been collaborating on what the punishment should be and how to implement such a punishment across the globe. I feel as most do on this site that "theardjacking" is a serious threat to our way of life and we should consider it an act against the state, perhaps sending those that break such laws to Guantanamo Bay for interrogation. Either way, I am vehemently against such an insidious act that "threadjacking" is and has become in this world.

----------

"If you crave vertical, it tough to beat a dual portrait setup. Just imagine the height of two rotated 27s:

http://www.elitetradingcomputers.com...s-portrait.asp"

These are very nice, but I dont understand the purpose of the vertical idea, I mean if you put 3 together isn't it the same aspect ratio as one large 16:9 screen. I never worked on vertical set up, I think it looks cool, just not sure the reason.

25. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Hoko222:

I would imagine it would be great for someone that does a lot of document editing.

That's about the only thing I can think of for a dual portrait 27 inch monitor set up.