Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agent302

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2001
Well, the way I look at it, when Moto moves to a .13 micron process, power will be reduced (making DP configs more possible), but speed could also be increased. Would you, in a hypothetical situation, take a DP 733 over an SP 1.2 Ghz? I wouldn't.

It's easy to make DP machines in a desktop machine by putting in two of the fastest available chips because power and heat are not a concern. But in a DP powerbook, you wouldn't be making a dual with the fastest available chips, but rather a slower chip x2. I'd rather have the fastest possible single processor config.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by agent302
Well, the way I look at it, when Moto moves to a .13 micron process, power will be reduced (making DP configs more possible), but speed could also be increased. Would you, in a hypothetical situation, take a DP 733 over an SP 1.2 Ghz? I wouldn't.

Nobody's talking about 1.2GHz and 733MHz chips in the TiBooks - currently the mobile G4s are at 667MHz and 800MHz, and I'd sure as hell take a DP 667 over a single 800. If I needed the best mobile multithreaded performance available, I would even choose the DP 667 over a 1GHz G4.
It's easy to make DP machines in a desktop machine by putting in two of the fastest available chips because power and heat are not a concern. But in a DP powerbook, you wouldn't be making a dual with the fastest available chips, but rather a slower chip x2. I'd rather have the fastest possible single processor config.
Not necessarily. With processor cycling, a good cooling system, and the ability to switch off one of the processors (or cut both of their speeds), there's no reason a fast DP TiBook wouldn't be feasible.

Alex

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Don't forget

...there is a very good chance from rumours of the past that Apple has played with DP TiBooks, and with the newer G4 chip this may be considerably more achievable due to the lower power consumption.

Some geek is probably playing with one of these things right now in Cupertino.

Though that doesn't mean we'll ever see it in the flesh/Titanium, I think Alex has put forward a good case for a DP being achievable.

Also, DP PBs would separate the Pro line from the iMac's specifications in a much more tangible way than presently. There was a time in the days of the G3 as the professional processor when the Powerbooks and PowerMacs weren't that far apart in MHz from each other.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I know that I could definitely use a Dual TiBook....... at the moment, as a freelance designer..... a desktop really isn't suitable for my work..... I need to be able to go to clients offices and work there, then shift to another clients offices for a presentation....... this is where a desktop simply isn't the machine for me...... I need my laptop to be as powerful as possible........

I don't see why having a Dual TiBook that it would endanger sales of the PowerMacs..... both are pro machines, and the desktops still have the expandability advantage........ I don't see why Apple would skimp on the performance of the TiBook just incase it gets too close to the PowerMac..... and to be honest I don't think this is really a concern for them....... Apple want their Pro machines to be the fastest on the planet.......

All Pro machines should be Dual.......... :D ;) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.