DualShock 3 Mini Review

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by e²Studios, Nov 24, 2007.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Well I've had around a week to play with this device and calling it awesome is a bit of a understatement. The rumble is super sensitive going from barely moving to full on vibrate out of your hand mode.

Ratchet & Clank blends great with it, when you fire a weapon you get feedback, when you get hit you get feedback, however if the enemy is far away and and you get hit the feedback will be less than a enemy at point blank range.

GT 5 Prologue Demo has excellent use of vibration functions and does a great job at really showing off the varying degrees of feedback that the controller can do.

Uncharted, COD4, and pretty much nearly all the games in my collection work in some way with the vibration. Developers had to have known this was coming as its working on games that aren't even on the official "supports rumble" list on the Japanese PlayStation site.

I love the weight that it adds to the controller, it feel "just right" now imho.

Here are some photos. The last one with the TV display basically means if you can see that menu (PS button -> controller settings) then the game will support rumble in some fashion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm no expert in writing reviews, sorry if this is lacking information. Feel free to post any questions you have and I'll try to answer them.

Overall a great controller, definitely need to pick yourself up one when you can. The price is 5,500 Yen which is around $46. I will assume that they will be $39.99 when they are released in the US. The release date for US/EU is Spring/Summer 2008.

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Nice review, Ed.
    I suppose rumble will be nice to have again, but I'm honestly more excited about the added weight than the rumble. The current Sixaxis is a bit on the light side, imho.

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Good news; I currently have 2 DS3s in transit from Hong Kong. Unfortunately I don't know when I'll receive them as customs can take a long time to process imports at this time of year.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll stick with the original till they release the DS4 with better placement and triggers.
    I find it a little cheeky that they're doing this. Why not simply add rumble before launch? Oh yea, you'll get more money this way.

[flame suit on] at least Microsoft gave you a free console when they buggered their system up.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I now christen the DS3 DualAxis 3. Too bad I already have four controllers.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

*sigh* leave it to Jimmi...

Sounds good Ed. I will probably get one when the come out. I don't mind the SixAxis and rumble doesn't get me off that much so I am good for now :)

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Patent infringement problems with Immersion...

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What? To not sound like the little clan here who give every PS3 game and accessory a 10/10 rating? Sorry for being objective. :rolleyes:

10. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Sony were fools when they claimed that rumble was dead. At least they finally paid off Immersion and got something out, but it should have been there from the start.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Come on Ed at least you coulda thought of your good ole boy here....

Ed: Hey I think I'll get one for 2ny as well....besides he didn't humiliate me that much online:D

Nice review man, I can't wait to get my hands on the D3.

Bless

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Really?

That is being objective.

That is being very trollish. You just can't leave it alone huh?

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

STOP BICKERING!!! :rolleyes:

Anyways..

I've ordered a DS3 from ebay.

I simply don't understand why it is taking Sony so long to release in Europe & US. I mean 6-7 months ? That's just silly IMHO and surely a world wide launch for a basic peripheral isn't too much to ask for.

The weight thing will be great, and I hope games like folklore work with it, rumble whilst your sucking up enemies will certainly add to the game.

€60 including postage, so certainly not 'cheap' but hey ho.

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

While it is good that they finally have rumble functions in the controllers.....maybe they shouldn't have made rumble out to be such a bad thing when they didn't want to license it. I still hate their controllers. Perhaps the worst controllers ever on a video game system dating back to the original Atari......cause that's almost how old this controller design is :D

Overall a good move by Sony. Welcome back to the modern-video-game-controller world. Now if the 40GB PS3 just had backwards compatibility I'd be all over it :cool:

15. asxtb macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (SoftBank/1.0/913SH/SHJ001/SN353695010704641 Browser/NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Hey Ed-

How is the Sixaxis sensitivity? Is it any better, worse, or pretty much the same?

16. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It seems the same, i never had a problem with it though even on the non rumble controllers. I played through the same "elevator shaft" part of R&C and i couldn't tell a difference in the two.

Ed

17. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Any info on the play time per battery charge?

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, it's good that they've finally sorted that out, but not including it at launch is just silly.

Never mind, I don't own a PS3, so I don't care. :)

19. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I will probably purchase a PS3 once they include these controllers with the system. When my friend first got a PS3 at launch, the first time I picked up the controller, I thought "how cheap" because it felt so light. The rumble is much needed as well as the weight addition. Now only if they would incorporate the XBox controller layout, I still can't get comfortable with the playstation controller. My thumbs always hit each other if I am using both thumbsticks.

20. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Gah! 360 FTW! I mean we had rumble to begin with :p Just wondering, how does the dualshock3's rumble compare t that of the 360 controllers'?

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll let you know when mine arrives, but we have to bare in mind that support for rumble in older games may be limited so it may be hard comparison until newer games that fully utilize it are more widely available.

22. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

About 10-12 hours, pretty damn good if you ask me.

They won't do this, far too many PlayStation fans including myself are fans of the PS layout. I personally cannot stand the Xbox controller layout it feels far more unnatural to me than the PS controller. Of course this is all opinion so there isn't "right" or "wrong", but I personally dislike the Xbox layout & love the PS layout.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I can generally swing both ways ;)

But only in controller layout :p

The weight is the big + point for me, the current model is just too light.

Can't tell you the amount of times I've reached to grab it and its slipped out my hands...... and then i picked up the ps3 controller ;):D

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Awesome, a friend of mine imported one. This is a major improvement. Screw rumble the weight really does make it better.

Don't think I'll be jumping in yet though. Not till they reveal the UK price.

25. risc macrumors 68030

risc