Duct Tape Skin?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Armstrong, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Armstrong macrumors newbie

Just got a new MBA 13", and will be leaving soon for a round the world trip. I don't have a lot of money to spend on a Gelaskin, nor do I want anything that makes the laptop look fancy or expensive (security reasons). I'd like to protect it from scratches so I can sell it when I get back. Any thoughts to just putting some clean white duct tape over the whole thing? I know it'll look horrid, but thats half the point.

thoughts?

2. ooans macrumors 6502

The glue in the tape might leave nasty marks on the MBA once you take it off...

3. Armstrong thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about that. was thinking about a thin layer of scotch tape first, then cover that with duct tape. Would that perhaps cause the MBA to overheat?

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Yea this will definitely leave a bunch of residue. There are plenty of cheap hard shells or soft skins you could get for $10 to $15 on Amazon or eBay.

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I would try gaffer tape instead of either duct or scotch tape. Or painter's tape, although that's kind of on the thin side. Gaffer tape is cloth and fairly durable.

6. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Go for it, the duct tape sholdn't damage it. The trick is removing the residue left over without damaging it. WD40 is great but it might discolor or scratch the aluminum finish. Scotch tape also leaves a residue, just not as much.

7. acrot93 macrumors newbie

Instead of putting money into tape that could possibly damage it more, put that money towards a cheap case or skin on ebay. They range from $5-$15.

8. Armstrong thread starter macrumors newbie

9. phil989 macrumors newbie

I like the idea of using duct tape actually - i highly doubt the sticky residue will be a problem. It's aluminium....squirt some lighter fluid over it afterwards or something like that to disolve the glue and it'll be fine.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This sounds like a terrible idea. You had the money for a MBAir, spend $15 on a skin.

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

You should try it on yours and report back. If lighter fluid doesn't work, try paint thinner, nail polish remover..etc.

12. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

The roll of tape and adhesive thinner to remove aren't going to cost less than a cheap skin - seriously.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I use duct tape alot, I use it where I want, basically, a PERMANENT patch. The couple of times I ripped out duct tape it invariably ripped out some materials with it. Don't know what kind of adhesive they put in there but it's very strong.

So I hope OP don't listen to you, or leave him your ph#. ^)

14. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

This. Big time. Part of the reason Duct Tape is so useful in so many situations is its ridiculous stickiness...

15. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Wool lube or WD-40 will remove the sticky residue left behind.

I had to clean a 13" MBP lids worth of stickers off mine before I sold it, and they came off without a hitch, in fact, it left the MBP looking shiny and brand new!

16. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

it won't do it any harm at all, it will look cack, but won't harm it.

17. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yes, but the issue is that he / she doesn't it want to look "cack".

18. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who finds this post ridiculous? I've gone as far as putting stickers on my Pro, but duct tape?

19. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

Why don't you buy a very cheap case and then duct tape that?

20. Cowhoon macrumors newbie

If you decide to put duct tape on your mba and it leaves residue, you should buy some GooGone. It works like a charm and wouldn't damage it.

21. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

But the fumes will give you brain damage. That stuff is STRONG!

22. Cowhoon macrumors newbie

Yes that is true but I am not sure that it will give you brain damage, but you never know. I suppose you could wear a paint mask while applying it and then maybe wiping it down so the fumes do not appear.
    -Cowhoon

23. andyriot macrumors member

24. v2kea412 macrumors member

I would use 2" Blue painting tape as a base, and then proceed to desecrate the bejumpers out of it with icky Duct tape. The paint tape should come off with little effort, and if it does leave any residue, use Goo Gone. Your Apple will then smell citrusy! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do...;)

25. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi