Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
http://247wallst.com/2009/06/23/will-apple-aapl-iphone-sales-cause-a-new-recession/

I wonder why he didn't go blame RIM for selling too many blackberries this past quarter.

The guy is clueless and apparently not too hip on history.

During the Great Depression people were baffled about how sales of table top radios continued going up (a radio in the 30's cost the equiv of thousands of today's dollars).

It wasn't that they were buying them on credit, they just REALLY wanted them and were willing to save up and get one even if it meant going without other things.

Same case with the iPhone. It's not that people are going into hock to get them, they are often willing to make cuts in other spending areas in order to get the highly desirable iPhone.

Also, this guy fails to take into account that many people carry a cell as their only phone these days, which eliminates their $40 or more a month landline phone bill.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Every time we try to go to a restaurant on a Friday night I am amazed that there's a recession going on considering how every restaurant within 10 miles of our house is packed to the gills.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
Every time we try to go to a restaurant on a Friday night I am amazed that there's a recession going on considering how every restaurant within 10 miles of our house is packed to the gills.

I know what you're saying. There seems to be quite a few people out on Fridays, but less than used to be (where I am). But, go on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday night (I don't work in the restaurant industry, but I've heard things).

Goona

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Uhhh... no. The blogger mentions spending money which one does not have as a cause of the recession, citing the phone as an example...

Bull. How does he know those who bought iphones don't have the money for it? Why didn't he scream bloody murder when RIM sold all those phones all that quarter? But I guess he needed to troll with an article about the iphone to draw attention.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Bull. How does he know those who bought iphones don't have the money for it?
The author didn't, nor did he/she state that.

Why didn't he scream bloody murder when RIM sold all those phones all that quarter?
Then he/she would have to go after every product on earth that people buy on credit. One example made the point and was sufficient.

But I guess he needed to troll with an article about the iphone to draw attention.
Kind of like this thread; twisting the message of someone's website in order to stir up attention and anger against something that was never said.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Bull. How does he know those who bought iphones don't have the money for it? Why didn't he scream bloody murder when RIM sold all those phones all that quarter? But I guess he needed to troll with an article about the iphone to draw attention.

He probably shorted Apple stock and now he's pissed off because they are blowing the doors off! ;)

In the last quarter my wife and I have bought a 17" MBP, two 3GS iPhones, two Mac Minis and a 24" iMac.

And it was all paid for in cash.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

Then he/she would have to go after every product on earth that people buy on credit. One example made the point and was sufficient.

Kind of like this thread; twisting the message of someone's website in order to stir up attention and anger against something that was never said.

I think akonradi wrote the article....lol

Goona

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009

Damn dude I think you need to go read the article again.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
oh man

"Will Apple (AAPL) iPhone Sales Cause A New Recession?"

No, but stupid people who don't control their spending habits will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.