Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
I’m due an upgrade now on my iPhone 7. I can afford the XS / R but alarm bells are going off in my head and that little voice is telling me not to do it.

It’s about the damn cost, wasting that money on a phone, no phone is worth £1000+ but that’s just my opinion. Add to that I get the feeling Apple has turned to greed, it’s all about money and profits now.

So I have this battle going on in my head, did anyone else suffer this? I’m also on a great plan which I’ll lose if I upgrade, unlimited calls and sms, 6gb data for £21 pm

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Understandable. Apple have dropped the ball this year. High prices for less in the box.

They're after your money, seeing as you have a phone >/=2 years old.

It's your chance to send a message to them.

How's the 7 under IOS12 btw? Did it breathe new life into it?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I’m due an upgrade now on my iPhone 7. I can afford the XS / R but alarm bells are going off in my head and that little voice is telling me not to do it.

It’s about the damn cost, wasting that money on a phone, no phone is worth £1000+ but that’s just my opinion. Add to that I get the feeling Apple has turned to greed, it’s all about money and profits now.

So I have this battle going on in my head, did anyone else suffer this? I’m also on a great plan which I’ll lose if I upgrade, unlimited calls and sms, 6gb data for £21 pm

Don’t forget if you upgrade, you’ll be locked into a more expensive contract especially with the XS for two years or with some U.K. contracts 3!!
If you won’t feel comfortable with it think carefully about it. You can always save up and buy an XR sim free and just put your current SIM in it as another option. May end up cheaper in the long run?

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011

I’d personally wait till next year or save money and get an X.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Don’t forget if you upgrade, you’ll be locked into a more expensive contract especially with the XS for two years or with some U.K. contracts 3!!
If you won’t feel comfortable with it think carefully about it. You can always save up and buy an XR sim free and just put your current SIM in it as another option. May end up cheaper in the long run?
I’m not really bothered about the length of my contracts because I always pay them off well before they end. My new monthly payments are less than I was paying for the X. When I want to upgrade I just pay off the phone and then upgrade to want I want. I just paid off my X and upgraded to the Max.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Understandable. Apple have dropped the ball this year. High prices for less in the box.

Well battery life for me is a lot better. Performance wise don’t notice any difference, it never performed badly anyway

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Worth is a very subjective thing. I upgraded this year and I have no regrets.

On the point of phone being expensive and Apple being greedy - I think this video responds to that doubt pretty well.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
iPhone 7 is an excellent performer with iOS 12. That is one reason why I’m keeping my 7 Plus for another year at least.

My wife wants a bigger phone than her 6s. She’s getting the XR 128 GB. Big upgrade over the 6s but nowhere near as expensive as the Max. However, it’s still not exactly cheap. If budget were a bigger issue, and if my mother-in-law didn’t need my wife’s hand-me-down phone, then maybe it’d make sense keeping that 6s another year too. Performance of iOS 12 is very decent on the 6s too.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
It’s about the damn cost, wasting that money on a phone, no phone is worth £1000+ but that’s just my opinion.
That’s a very common opinion, almost a fact. But that’s why the iPhone XR exists at a much lower price. Your problem is that you’re fine with your iPhone 7 and you don’t really need a new phone with the same 326ppi. And we already know, you can’t bear the feeling that there is something better out there than what you have and you won’t be happy with the XR longing for an XS Max.

So here is what you do: Grab a hammer and smash the expensive mobile computer you bought just two years ago! Now without an iPhone of your own, prices for new iPhones suddenly look reasonable again.

I’m glad I could help.

Last edited:

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017

I would like Apple to get a bloody nose with these as honestly they are taking the p in my opinion with the pricing. Not just the cost of the phone but penny pinching by removing the dongle, at that price they should be including a set of airpods! It is also a little low for them to push the xr date out to just beyond the 14 day window

Not going to happen though, best we can hope for is more people buy the R.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You don’t find Have to find value in the newest iPhones, when you can simply look for an older model or just keep using the phone you have. The prices are not going to change anytime soon, Apple has made that clear. I still think for the amount of technology that’s included in phones today, it has a lot to offer, it’s just a matter if you can take advantage of this technology and if you appreciate it or not.

Last edited:

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016

I'm grappling with the same dilemma. Currently using a 6 and want an upgrade but 1k is just absurd. I can afford it and it won't make a difference to any other part of my financial life but justifying is so difficult. The way I am convincing myself is that I will likely have it for 3 years so writing that cost off over that period is £333 per year which is much more palatable. It is that aspect that is convincing me to go for the xs rather than the x (£50/year saving).

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm grappling with the same dilemma. Currently using a 6 and want an upgrade but 1k is just absurd. I can afford it and it won't make a difference to any other part of my financial life but justifying is so difficult. The way I am convincing myself is that I will likely have it for 3 years so writing that cost off over that period is £333 per year which is much more palatable. It is that aspect that is convincing me to go for the xs rather than the x (£50/year saving).
If you plan to keep it for 3 years or even 2 it’s better to go with the Xs as it will hold up longer.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

My 7 plus is great with iOS 12 no update for me until next year or after even...

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK

£21 per month for 6GB of data is rather expensive by SIM only standards so isn’t really a great deal now you’re out of contract.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
I would like Apple to get a bloody nose with these as honestly they are taking the p in my opinion with the pricing. Not just the cost of the phone but penny pinching by removing the dongle, at that price they should be including a set of airpods! It is also a little low for them to push the xr date out to just beyond the 14 day window

Not going to happen though, best we can hope for is more people buy the R.

It isn't penny pinching, rather it is a strategy to drive profits by pushing people to buy overpriced airpods which, let's face it, will work because people want the branded stuff and will think "oh it's only £140 as a one off". Personally I've got an excellent pair of truly wireless earbuds fror £59.99 so will not need to fall for this trick when upgrading to an x or xs, but many people will just stump up and buy airpods.

Apple know it will work, therefore they do it. Too many people are too bothered about being seen walking round with the iconic white earphones for it not to work.
[doublepost=1538128237][/doublepost]
£21 per month for 6GB of data is rather expensive by SIM only standards so isn’t really a great deal now you’re out of contract.
Agreed. Mine is overpriced at £23.20 for 16gb with Voda, although that includes Spotify, so I'm sure you can get that down.
[doublepost=1538128359][/doublepost]
If you plan to keep it for 3 years or even 2 it’s better to go with the Xs as it will hold up longer.
Yeah, that's my thinking and why I'm edging towards the xs. If I was keeping for 1-2 years it would be a no brainer to get the x but I generally keep an iphone for 3-3.5 years so may as well spend a tad extra to future proof it a little.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Wait to see what the XR is like?

I’m on a 7 and I’m going through the same thing - I think it’s not yet worth upgrading. Probably I’d feel different if I had a 6 or lower.

Although I’m not sure about the increasing size of the iPhone so that would be another factor for me.

Reactions: Mac2019

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Worth is a very subjective thing. I upgraded this year and I have no regrets.

On the point of phone being expensive and Apple being greedy - I think this video responds to that doubt pretty well.

Thanks for the video.

I didn’t remember that the 64gb iPhone 5 was $850, the iPhones Xs at $999 seems more palatable given the perspective.

81F3B001-D817-4A69-885E-F4E1EA3A6AD1.png
CC826872-AD15-4ED9-835E-CEC8BD3EC657.jpeg

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for the video.

I didn’t remember that the 64gb iPhone 5 was $850, the iPhones Xs at $999 seems more palatable given the perspective.

View attachment 789920 View attachment 789921
Wow, that is quite surprising, $849 for a 64gb 5! Although whilst it is the same storage it is not quite comparing apples with apples (yes, I know 64 v 64 is exactly the same but hear me out!) because at the time of the 5, 64gb was top end so really the price should be compared with the top end xs which is £1,349; 64gb back then got you a lot more than 64gb does now so in effect you should really compare the bottom end of both, ie. iphone 5 $649 v iphone xs $999 which does show a massive increase in the price of the entry level phone of the latest model.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
You don’t find Have to find value in the newest iPhones, when you can simply look for an older model or just keep using the phone you have. The prices are not going to change anytime soon, Apple has made that clear. I still think for the amount of technology that’s included in phones today, it has a lot to offer, it’s just a matter if you can take advantage of this technology and if you appreciate it or not.
I could swear you work for apple PR with how you articulate and explain things.

Reactions: 44267547

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Kinda shocked at the price inflation - I had forgot that (in the UK) the base level iPhone 6 (16GB) was £539.

That's a sobering thought compared to the base level prices of the various iPhone models nowadays.

To the OP - it really sounds as if you don't really 'need' to upgrade. You just have the 'I want a new toy!' feeling that most of us who love tech experience & you're trying to argue yourself into justifying (or not) the upgrade.

I'd say stick with the 7 and wait to see what turns up in 2019. Unless you're massively into smartphone photography or video, I don't think that you're going to experience significant feature enhancements over the 7.

That's the thing with smartphones now - most of the YoY functionality gains are 'nice to haves' rather than the dramatic upgrades that you got when you replaced your contract phone every 2 years in the first 5-6 years or so of the iPhone's life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.