Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrnoisytiger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Since Duet Display is now on sale, do you think it would be worth it to use on an iPad Pro? It might be interesting to use as a 13" monitor, but considering that the iPad Pro needs 12W to charge, the battery drain might be kicking in. Any experiences with it?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I've heard it works pretty good. I'm going to do that myself.

The newest claim is that they reduced the Desktop cpu load by 50%, and did something for the iPP.

Im waiting for my new Pro, but I also just bought 'Astropad' which people seems to like on the iPP, as it uses the pen and makes it into something like a Wacom Cintiq, apparently.

Anyway, good reviews all around.

Reactions: Cascades42

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
I use my iPad Pro quite a lot with Duet and it works great! I've never observed any battery drain. Actually I always end up fully charging my iPad after working a few hours with Duet.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I use it with my rMB all the time as a second screen and it's fantastic especially when working on the go. And yes with the latest version it does charge the iPad instead of draining the battery when using it

ifman

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
For eight bucks, yeah easy decision ...... and it was easy to setup and makes a great second monitor for the laptop when traveling.

Reactions: Cascades42

lewbone

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2016
I just switched to a MacBook Pro Retina, and I've found that using a 1080p monitor (connected via HDMI) has been an eye sore. Going back and forth from the Retina display to 1080 is really annoying. Stupid question, but if you use Duet Display and an iPad Pro as the secondary monitor, will you get the same Retina resolution on the iPad Pro as you do on the Macbook? I've been on the fence as to get an iPad Pro or not, but if I can also use it as a secondary monitor (with Retina quality) this I will definitely be getting one.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
i find it quite laggy between my Pro and PC whilst using higher res displays, which itself isn't too joyous to use either.

/edit

As mentioned below, image qualitry is pretty ropey too.

Last edited:

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
I was using it with their earlier version on my Ipad Pro just fine.

Currently I am not getting any sharp image as I used to get, I tried all available resolution settings still same. I was not having this problem before. Other than this, it does what it says just fine.

Reactions: bhodinut

sergioarista

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I just switched to a MacBook Pro Retina, and I've found that using a 1080p monitor (connected via HDMI) has been an eye sore. Going back and forth from the Retina display to 1080 is really annoying. Stupid question, but if you use Duet Display and an iPad Pro as the secondary monitor, will you get the same Retina resolution on the iPad Pro as you do on the Macbook? I've been on the fence as to get an iPad Pro or not, but if I can also use it as a secondary monitor (with Retina quality) this I will definitely be getting one.

Yes. I use it that way with a rMB and works pretty well.

mrnoisytiger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Thanks guys! I decided to get it and it works surprisingly well!

I tried running my very CPU hungry iTunes visualizer on the iPad Pro with Duet and it worked flawlessly. Not much battery drain. The battery remained pretty much constant throughout the use, so I guess that's ok.

cc00lltt00nn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Buford, GA
I have a three-monitor setup in my office, so the second display on the go is very nice. I use it at work when I'm in lengthy meetings with heavy Excel use. I've been pretty impressed with it. There is a little bit of lag and I can't use it at full resolution because the text becomes too small, so it's not a very sharp image. Still well worth the money though!

kapp2

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
Can the iPad only be used as extra monitor. or, is it possible to have the hole Win/OSX OS menu on iPad with Duet display ? :)

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Just for fun

27938765faa288b60bc8c8dec989bfae.jpg

Reactions: Tork

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Since Duet Display is now on sale, do you think it would be worth it to use on an iPad Pro? It might be interesting to use as a 13" monitor, but considering that the iPad Pro needs 12W to charge, the battery drain might be kicking in. Any experiences with it?
I bought it as part of the sale and have been very happy with it. The iPad Pro's size makes it a perfect second monitor for my work notebook. I have not noticed any issues with the battery.
[doublepost=1454112729][/doublepost]
i find it quite laggy between my Pro and PC whilst using higher res displays, which itself isn't too joyous to use either.

/edit

As mentioned below, image qualitry is pretty ropey too.
Make sure you are using a "native" resolution, such as 1366x1024. Duet Display doesn't support 2732x2048, so the other resolutions are scaled. 1366x1024 is an even 2x so image quality is good.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I downloaded Duet yesterday and tried it out with my iPad Pro and 2015 MacBook Pro. It works amazingly well! Well worth the $8 for sure.

Reactions: BMCNewYork

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
I bought it as part of the sale and have been very happy with it. The iPad Pro's size makes it a perfect second monitor for my work notebook. I have not noticed any issues with the battery.
[doublepost=1454112729][/doublepost]
Make sure you are using a "native" resolution, such as 1366x1024. Duet Display doesn't support 2732x2048, so the other resolutions are scaled. 1366x1024 is an even 2x so image quality is good.

I am having battery problem, it drains fadter than it charges, so after a while i am getting low battery message. How is it working out for you?

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Guys, how do you adjust size of text on the iPad monitor? I use an iPad air, and the fonts are a bit too small for me.
Can I change resolution?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Guys, how do you adjust size of text on the iPad monitor? I use an iPad air, and the fonts are a bit too small for me.
Can I change resolution?
Yes, just go into the display settings on the MacBook. You can change the resolution/scaling in there.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I am having battery problem, it drains fadter than it charges, so after a while i am getting low battery message. How is it working out for you?
If you are using it with a Windows PC, make sure it is plugged into a "charging" USB port. On my work PC, I have 3 USB ports, but only one delivers a full charge. When I plug it into that one, it seems to keep up.

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Yes, just go into the display settings on the MacBook. You can change the resolution/scaling in there.

Thanks, I will try again. I also noticed that the mouse moves more slowly on the ipad vs. on the mac, but I am pretty sure that it depends on the resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.