Dumb phone sim to iPhone 3G sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FortWorthMac, Aug 16, 2011.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

So my wife has finally decided she wants to give the iPhone a try. She's not eligible for an iPhone upgrade so this evening I took the sim card from her dumb phone and put it in my old iPhone 3G. Everything is working fine except of course visual voice mail, which is no big deal. My question is, she doesn't have a data plan and she doesn't want (at this time) to access the internet. She only wants calling and of course texting. If I go into settings and turn off cellular data will that prevent the iPhone from accessing the data network? I'm not to concerned about her getting on the net but don't want my little boy picking up the phone and unknowingly getting online.

Any other issues I need to be aware of using her sim in an iPhone?

Thanks
    David

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

sure, it will block the iPhone from connecting online but that is not to say that ATT wont add a Internet plan. They likely will.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You should be aware of the fact that once AT&T's systems detect you're using an iPhone without a data plan, they will add one without asking.

If you want an iPhone sans data, you need to be pre-paid. Or post paid with T-Mobile.

4. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

and sure enough, less then 24 hours later the iPhone was detected and data plan added. Damn they are good.

I guess I'll call them tomorrow and see which plan they added her to.

Thanks
    David

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

They most likely added you to the second cheapest data plan.