Dumb questions about the Magic Mouse (with 27" iMac)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by d15, Nov 6, 2009.

1. d15 macrumors newbie

I used to have a wireless Logitech mouse that drained batteries if you didn't turn it off manually every time you finished using it. So I'm wondering about the Magic Mouse...

1. Does the Magic Mouse automatically shut off when the iMac goes to sleep or is turned off?

2. If I leave the Magic Mouse on (while the computer is off) will it drain the batteries?

3. What do you recommend is best for the batteries and mouse? Should I turn it off every time I go out for the day?

Thanks.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I don't know about the magic mouse. However my previous Apple blue tooth mouse lasted on average about 3 months before the batteries needed replacement. This was the mouse before the mighty mouse. Currently I am using a few Logitechs and have been running them for 4-5 months now. I do turn off the laptop mouse, but never had any issues.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It goes into sleep mode whenever it's not actively being used.

It will, but very low drain. I never turn mine off, unless I'm on the go.

I had good experience using hybrid rechargeables on the Mighty Mouse. They have the very low self-discharge rate of NiCads, but the "no-memory" advantage of Nimhs. They also weigh less than Nimhs.

I don't think it's critical to turn it off. I think it's more a matter of convenience, whether you leave it on or off. And, if you're using rechargebles, it just comes down to additional cycles.

4. d15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the great answer.