Dun, Dun, Dunnn.. New 3G activation details emerge...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSUSem1noles, Jun 13, 2008.

1. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I just got a call from our Apple Rep. He gave me a heads up, when buying from an Apple store, if you already have an account with AT&T, you'll be able to upgrade your account to the new data plan/activate the phone through ITunes at home.. again, no additional credit check will be required for current AT&T customers..

HOWEVER, if you do not have an account, you can still purchase an IPhone through an Apple Store, but you will either need to go to an AT&T store or call AT&T to activate the IPhone..

So there is truth to IN STORE activations, but in store activation seems to be for NEW AT&T customers ONLY, as a way to prohibit the buying/selling/unlocking of IPhones...

This is the latest he has heard, I'm sure it will change by July 11th. but things are looking a little clearer..

The prices remain the same, 199 and 299..

2. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

This does correspond with my call to AT&T yesterday as well. She said that we COULD activate in store since I'm an existing customer in order to add the data plan, but again, since I am an existing customer, it was not required and I could either do it at home, or call them to add the plan. I didnt ask about new customers since it doesnt apply to me, but it makes perfect sense to me. :)

3. TexasAg macrumors member

I assume there is no way to transfer a number from my existing non-Apple cell phone to the new iPhone via iTunes, right? I'm guessing that is something that has to be done at AT&T.

4. camarobh macrumors 6502

I transfered two Verizon numbers to new iPhones via iTunes activation with the first version of the iPhone.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I am going to be a new AT&T customer. So if I go to the Apple store and buy my iPhone I also have to go to the AT&T store also, or call them? Might as well just go to the AT&T store and buy it. This whole thing is pretty stupid. The iTunes activiation was one of the seamless perks along with the amazing iPhone.

6. TexasAg macrumors member

Wow, so you could actually port a number from a different carrier to the iPhone via iTunes? Nice.

7. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Back when activation could be done through ITunes, yes you could... but now that signs are pointing to the fact that new AT&T subs need to go through AT&T first, AT&T would have to port your number over when setting up a contract..

8. BlueRazor2 macrumors member

What did they say about the people that are currently in the duration of a two year contract with AT&T with a phone that is not the iPhone?

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

How is that going to stop people from unlocking them?

10. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

You would still be able to upgrade, you have to pay the 199 or 299 depending which version you wan and reup/extend your contract.. If you're upgrade eligible, they're not giving additional discounts at this time... that may change over time? who knows???

11. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

It wouldn't but he was incorrect. They can, and will, be activating them in Apple stores.

12. TexasAg macrumors member

Yeah, I agree. But I'm with AT&T, so I will hopefully be able to just activate through iTunes and have it transfer my AT&T number over to the new iPhone.

13. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I don't think it's meant to stop them per say... but until a unlock method becomes available for a out of box 3G IPhone, if you buy a 3G IPhone, you'll only have a glorified IPod touch.. unless you contact AT&T to activate your phone.. and who's to say that you won't have to activate the phone first to use an unlock method????

14. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Unless the Apple store has an AT&T kiosk in it, as of now they are not doing NEW AT&T customer activations there...

15. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I was a little confused about this as the OP said you would not be able to activite them in the Apple store. I really hope you are right!

16. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

17. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Considering you could create a new AT&T account with the original iPhone from iTunes at home and considering it has already been announced by an AT&T spokesman in this interview that, "You will need to walk out of the AT&T or Apple store with the device activated," they will have the capability. (italics mine)

Why don't they have it now? Maybe because the iPhone 3G won't be on sale for nearly a month. :)

18. saDeRmac macrumors regular

OUCH I'm thinking that the person who posted that will definitely not have a job by July 11th. They are cracking down on Code of Business Conduct violations... and considering the end of the document says:Confidential AT&T Information Internal Distribution Only. OUCH They take proprietary information leaks seriously...

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good Stuff! Good to Know! :cool:

20. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Yeah, friend wasnt too happy about that...

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What happened to the scanned postings? Never mind! :eek::confused:

22. mjerald macrumors newbie

So why no on-line orders thru Apple this time ???

23. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Because if you buy it online they can't insure you activate it. If you buy it in the store then they can insist on that being a part of the process.

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Sometimes I wonder if info such as that gets leaked from the top.

25. mtfield macrumors 6502

wish i could have seen that memo! damn just a bit late... anyway this makes a lot of sense.. that's why there is that fee they are talking about for people who don't activate within a month! if you are an at&t member then that would be nice to be able to activate in itunes! but if you dont then at&t knows and finds you which is fine by me really... don't care to much about the health of the unlocking industry...(sorry guys!;)) so maybe we'll see two lines on launch day! a quick one for at&t customers and a long one for those who are just seeing the light for the first time!