Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
And now there's this:

9omg0IY.jpg

u4kaTCK.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/18/11260372/msi-vortex-gaming-pc

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
That's not even close to a proper analogy. Try again.

This case is a knockoff, no question, but it's damn near identical to the original.

not from anywhere other than perfectly level with it. the top is horrible in comparison.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Ok, so you don't like the different "grille".

That's way, way removed from your analogy (comparing a van to a sports car).

Still, you are entitled to your opinion.

I like the case, particularly the fact it gives you the "Mac" look without the crippled bits.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
They couldn't have made it to that design and finish standard for $100 and had it be a viable product.
Possibly so. Clearly they couldn't offer it at $169 and have it be a viable product either, since the Kickstarter project failed. And even at $169 it didn't include a power supply.

For now I'm pretty happy with my tiny Silverstone SG05 which has a pretty nice fit and finish and looks just great on my desk. No, it's not a fancy cylinder, but it was only $45 with no tax or shipping fee.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
$169 for an ITX case is well worth it depending on the materials, quality and design. My Parvum case case cost quite a bit more and I had to have it shipped to the US from across the pond. People will pay for a quality case when they put expensive hardware into it.

I'm still hoping for a future grab at a Dune case for my next build.

alexandercgomez

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2016
United States
Hi Everyone,

Well its been a few years since I have commented on this forum as I have been busy with various projects.

In the last three months I have been working on my latest project Dune Pro. I am still very much at heart want to do something for the community and I believe that what we have created in the last three months that appeals to a certain community looking to make the ultimate build.

Attached are some images of our build and I hope through this thread I can get some feedback.

Many Thanks

Alexander Gomez
Dune Case

Attachments

• Dune-01_1.jpg
    Dune-01_1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 310
  • Dune-02.jpg
    Dune-02.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 309
  • Dune-03.jpg
    Dune-03.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 337
  • Dune-04_1.jpg
    Dune-04_1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Dune-05.jpg
    Dune-05.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 327
  • Dune-06.jpg
    Dune-06.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Dune-07.jpg
    Dune-07.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Dune-08.jpg
    Dune-08.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: xnu

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
It looks nice, but won't you have problems with Apple because of the form, that is almost 1:1? And how is the price of this case? What type of motherboard does it accept?
[automerge]1570556908[/automerge]
EDIT: ah, okay, for the info about the motherboard types/sizes, I found your website:

:)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
It was the sleek form of the previous design that was attractive. While Apple thinks the design above is sexy, its just a box that will sit under a desk. That does not mean your design won't be the best of that class of cases depending on the price.

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
Hi Everyone,

Well its been a few years since I have commented on this forum as I have been busy with various projects.

In the last three months I have been working on my latest project Dune Pro. I am still very much at heart want to do something for the community and I believe that what we have created in the last three months that appeals to a certain community looking to make the ultimate build.

Attached are some images of our build and I hope through this thread I can get some feedback.

Many Thanks

Alexander Gomez
Dune Case

I like it. I saw a link about this this morning and immediately thought 'hell yeah I'll back that'...
I'd imagine there are a few questions people interested are thinking though... I'll toss out the 1st few...

• Why do you think the 1st project failed to raise enough money, and what's your plan to increase the likelihood this campaign succeeds?
  • Do you already have a version of the case prototyped?
  • What happens in the event that Apple were to make efforts to shut the project down?
  • What assurances can you offer backers that the case will be delivered if it succeeds and you raise enough?
  • What's the estimated timetable for delivery if the project succeeds?

Last edited:
Reactions: kwikdeth

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ

Many Thanks

Alexander Gomez
Dune Case

I really like the design, but there's a few things I would personally like to see from a case like this:

- 8x PCI slot covers, for users who either are using multiple GPUs, larger GPU heatsinks, users that are wanting to break out internal connectors for back-panel use, or a motherboard with unusual x16 slot placement.
- the ability to orient the power supply either facing downward, or upward (currently upward would block proper ventilation)
- facilites/channels for good cable management. this drives me nuts on most chassis that put a lot of thought into the design of the chassis but little to no thought into cable management. ive seen so many cool cases with just bundles of spaghetti wiring in the case. like this picture, this is already unsightly cabling from the video cards IMO:

thermals-1.jpg

- long shot here, but, mounting options for E-ATX (dual-processor) motherboards. I see this is an option from looking at the main site, thanks for this!

alexandercgomez

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2016
United States
I like it. I saw a link about this this morning and immediately thought 'hell yeah I'll back that'...
I'd imagine there are a few questions people interested are thinking though... I'll toss out the 1st few...

• Why do you think the 1st project failed to raise enough money, and what's your plan to increase the likelihood this campaign succeeds?
  • Do you already have a version of the case prototyped?
  • What happens in the event that Apple were to make efforts to shut the project down?
  • What assurances can you offer backers that the case will be delivered if it succeeds and you raise enough?
  • What's the estimated timetable for delivery if the project succeeds?

Well the first Dune Case I did had some difficulties to overcome to put it into the hands of everyone as a quality case. Firstly, the cost of the tooling was very expensive and would require a certain volume to break even. To deep draw a cylindrical shape from a single piece of aluminum is challenging and the molds are very expensive to do so. Secondly, it was my first time I ever did a crowd funding campaign and I learned a lot from the experience. This time round we spent quite a bit of money to make a case we believe is for the community. The case is made out of high grade aluminum through out and has polished stainless steel frame. I believe the time is right for a case like this and while it may not appeal to everyone, I believe it has an appeal to a certain audience.

Yes this case is ready for production. What I learned from the first time I did the campaign is "seeing is believing" and I believe most people are like that. So this time round I got the right engineer that has a rich experience in doing PC cases and working with PC standards to ensure parts will that go into this case use the standard. We spent quite a bit of money to ensure this is ready for production. The prototype we have is version 4 and is solid in design. We can always improve on it but we believe many people will be satisfied with the internals.

Before doing this case we did seek legal advice and believe our Dice Y front cover has a unique design to it as the pattern at the front serves as ventilation for the case, while the inside surface has a very different design for sound dampening.

Here are some links to see the tear down

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
Well the first Dune Case I did had some difficulties to overcome to put it into the hands of everyone as a quality case. Firstly, the cost of the tooling was very expensive and would require a certain volume to break even. To deep draw a cylindrical shape from a single piece of aluminum is challenging and the molds are very expensive to do so. Secondly, it was my first time I ever did a crowd funding campaign and I learned a lot from the experience. This time round we spent quite a bit of money to make a case we believe is for the community. The case is made out of high grade aluminum through out and has polished stainless steel frame. I believe the time is right for a case like this and while it may not appeal to everyone, I believe it has an appeal to a certain audience.

Yes this case is ready for production. What I learned from the first time I did the campaign is "seeing is believing" and I believe most people are like that. So this time round I got the right engineer that has a rich experience in doing PC cases and working with PC standards to ensure parts will that go into this case use the standard. We spent quite a bit of money to ensure this is ready for production. The prototype we have is version 4 and is solid in design. We can always improve on it but we believe many people will be satisfied with the internals.

Before doing this case we did seek legal advice and believe our Dice Y front cover has a unique design to it as the pattern at the front serves as ventilation for the case, while the inside surface has a very different design for sound dampening.

I am very interested in getting this case, since I do want my PC to look like a Mac Pro, but I was just wondering if the aluminum of the case is CNC machined or casted?

GoodGuy12345

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2018
Canada
We do not use a die cast for this case. we use a mixed process of CNC, stamping, extrusion and deep draw to make this cast.
Also, the front mounting holes for both 120mm and 140mm fans appear to be blocked from both sides. Would it be possible to make the inner mounting slots shorter and divided so the blades aren't blocked? Maybe divide up the mounting slots to only the sections that are needed? The case looks well designed overall, but the front mounts could be more refined, before the production.

Attachments

• InkedDune-07_LI.jpg
    InkedDune-07_LI.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016

Thanks for posting these. Just watched both and you can count me in for sure. Really well done and seems to be very well machined based on the build video I watched...

The only concern I have is the rear vent... What kind of spacing are we looking at there, any kind of mounting possible for smaller fans?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.