Duplicate "Reply to thread..." emails

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by kainjow, Feb 27, 2008.

1. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I am getting duplicate email notifications of replies (the ones with the subject "Reply to thread <thread name>"). Sometimes I'll only get one duplicate, other times I'll get like six or more. Is this something with my mail server or MR? Anyone else seeing this?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

You request e-mail updates when there are thread replies? You are a junky ;)

I wonder if you get a duplicate message if someone edits a post.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ oh, I wonder!

if any of them are replies I've made you can bet that may be the reason, I edit like a mo-fo :eek: (I don't often preview first and then I post and think "that looks dumb..." and edit it... which doesn't usually help the dumbness but there you have it!)

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I get multiple, identical replies, too, sometimes up to eight or so. Must be the MR spambot again, I suppose.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

So I suppose this is somewhat on-topic - why chose to get e-mail notifications when someone replies to a thread? I did it before (more because I didn't realize at first that it wasn't required when you subscribe to a thread) but found it to be not so useful.

From what I recall, you should only get a single e-mail about a post in a thread, then get no others until you visit the forum. I've found that subscribing without e-mail, then just using the User CP to view status of subscribed threads, is of the most use to me.

So I'm just curious, I suppose.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I only ever get one.

@emw I only use it occasionally so I can reply as soon as a post is made, its the only way I can keep ahead of Mad Jew :p. It is made easier as I use Apple Mail, which auto-checks my email every 5 minutes, but I don't check MR that frequently.

7. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I don't think that's the issue. Sometimes I'll get a ton of emails and then I'll read the reply and it'll be a one-liner. I think one of the gods would have to confirm.

I don't like having to manually check MR that much. And for bigger threads, I usually unsubscribe once they start getting boring/spammy.

Actually that's another bug. Often I'll get two or more emails regarding two or more separate posts, when I thought it should only email me once until I've viewed the thread.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How it works:
    You can set your Default Thread Subscription Mode (no subscription, subscription without notification, or subscription with notification) in your User Options.

You can manually subscribe to any thread using the Thread Tools menu. When you do, you can select notification by email.​
    How many notifications:
    If you subscribe with email notification, you are supposed to get exactly one email per subscribed thread in which posts have been made after your last forum visit. As soon as you visit any forum page, the trigger is reset and you'll again get email when a post is made to any subscribed thread.

You should not get multiple emails about a given thread when you are not at MacRumors, but we have had occasional reports of this happening. We aren't sure what causes it. The only cause I've ever been able to trace it to was when a new post in the thread was edited by the person who posted in. I caught the forum system sending a second notification email in that case, but that apparently doesn't explain all such reports.

When this happens, it's fine to let us know, so we can tell if the problem becomes widespread. It's annoying, but ultimately harmless.​

10. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I found this thread over at vbulletin.com from 2004. There are a few others even through the latest version. They are suggesting it's a server issue, possibly with PHP but beyond that no one knows it seems.

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I know what you mean. Just two days ago I received 9 emails in a span of one minute concerning a single post on a thread I had subscribed to. It doesn't happen often, but I think the server just spazzes out occasionally. It's not a big deal, but I don't know if it's an indication of a bigger underlying problem.

irmongoose

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

It doesn't really bother me, but at least twice every day I will get over 5 notifications of a seemingly single post.

13. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Well it just happened again. I saved the raw message content of the emails and used FileMerge to see what's different. The only difference is the "Return-path" and "Received" headers.

vs

Not sure if that would help or not...

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks, kainjow. Maybe that clue will be useful.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

For anyone wanting to see new replies to threads you've posted in, there is another way. I use thread subscriptions without email notification (so I can see the checkmark in the spy) but the most useful way I've found of browsing MR is this:

Code:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=process&starteronly=0&searchuser=iBlue&exactname=1
    Replace my username with your own. Save that exact URL in your bookmarks, but NOT the search result, because those expire.
    What that does is search for every thread you have ever posted in. It's the first search I do when I come to MR (in the morning or whenever) so I can see which threads have new replies.

I think it was Mitthrawnoruodo (sp?) who first mentioned that and I've found it to be the most useful search search ever.

P.S. I edited this post twice, if you got more than one notifications ;)

16. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

*nods* I noticed that when I was looking through the mail server logs - both forum servers are sending out duplicate emails simultaneously. It's very bizarre and I need to delve into the actual code to try and figure it out, there's nothing obvious causing it.

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I've been getting duplicates too. It only started in the last couple of weeks. Once I got about 16 'reply to thread' emails about a single post. More usually it's 3 or 4 duplicates.

At first I thought they were from post editing, but that wouldn't explain why they only started recently.

Yes, I do like getting email notifications. I only tend to post in smaller threads, and to unsubscribe if the thread gets too big. Mail.app neatly filters all my MR reply notifications into my MR folder, so it doesn't interfere with my normal email.

iBlue, that's a good idea - I tried it out just now. The only thing is I don't like waiting for the search results :) also it doesn't show me the reply, which the email notification does. Also it's an extra couple of steps to unsubscribe from a thread, which is already a link in the email.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^I always click the arrow for "go to last unread post" and go from there. (if that's what you mean)

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is something that will happen in waves, sometimes the email system goes wacky and other times it works fine. I have had this issue the past year or so on occasion.

20. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I experience the same thing. I will receive email notifications once in a while, quite randomly. When I first signed up I was receiving emails many times a day. I changed a few options and for the most part they stopped.

21. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I got emailed 3 duplicates of this very posting, all with the same timecode. Shall I post the headers?

22. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Me too.

23. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Here are my headers, in chronological order. Two messages from forum1.xeeno.com, and two from forum2.xeeno.com.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's what we saw in previous tests too. Very odd.

Perhaps we should promote this as a new "parallel processing" feature of the MacRumors forum software. :eek: