Durability 3GS vs 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Which do you think is more durable? I'm not talking about dropping but general everyday durability, being in the pocket, connectors, switches, buttons, etc...

Which phone do you think is more durable?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Without dropping, they both are the same - pretty much.

I'd go with the 4 though. Seems less likely for any buttons to fall off. You shouldn't have a problem with either one though.

Now if you're talking about dropping, then definitely the 3GS.

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

4. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

More like glass vs. plastic.

Plastic wins.

5. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

The iPhone 4 home button is a piece of utter crap. And I'm being generous here.

6. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

The feel of the back on the 3GS is way better then the iPhone 4 (it feels like carrying a brick)

7. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

It's really not that bad. Capacitive buttons are just the same way.

8. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

HA! Don't make me laugh! You've obviously haven't read any of the threads where many of us are on our 3rd or 4th iPhone 4 because of the craptacular home button. At least on Android, the capacitive buttons actually work!

9. gpc17 macrumors regular

I would say iPhone 4.. Just look at the scratches on the back of my previos 3gs and now on iphone 4..

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I would say 3GS for sure. Glass was stupid to use on on the back of the phone.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What iPhone is made of steel?

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like the problem is in your seat. How come iPhone was voted the best mobile phone at mobile world congress, when Apple didn't even attend it?

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My i4 has held up far better than my 3G did.

Fewer scuffs and scrapes overall from normal use and, I know this isn't the quesion here, but the i4 survived a few falls much better than my 3G did.

14. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I guess he was talking about the stainless steel frame that acts as the antenna for the bluetooth, wifi, etc.

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The 3GS has a chrome steel frame/collar. The iPhone 4 has a glass back that shatters on impact - doubling the chances of you breaking glass with a drop.

+1 to you friend. Couldn't agree with you more. The iPhone 4's square design is striking, but terrible compared to holding and pocketing the 3GS. So what if it's thinner, if it has edges that would cut cheese.

I pray they wise up and make the next model with Liquid Metal. Putting glass on the back was the stupidest marketing decision ever and they look slightly the fool for it.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I dropped my 3GS several times. I've dropped my i4 several times. Nice good "onto-hard-surfaces" falls.

That's 3 glass sides and 1 plastic side. So...75% glass sides in all those drops and only 25% plastic.

Of all of that, only the plastic back broke.

My experience (over 3 years) is the opposite of your claim. Do you have different experiences with your phones?

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I wouldn't claim any one person's experience would count for much.
    http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iphone4-glass-study

18. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

I have Family who don't want the iPhone 4 because of the way it feels

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I've been using the 4 naked and it's held up very well over the past 8 months. I'd say it holds up better than a 3GS. Flaws show more on plastic.

20. Annerz macrumors regular

I own both and I've dropped them a couple times. I think they're both really good but the screen on the 4 may be a little better. :)

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And that report seems to suggest the i4 glass is stronger than the 3GS glass.

I'm not saying my experience counts for anything, really, but you've got studies like the one you posted kind of backing me up so I can't be too far off from normal.

I'm not saying the glass CAN'T break, I'm just saying it's stronger than most people think. The fact that it seems to be stronger than the glass on the old phone (according to that one study) kind of backs me up there.

22. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I completely agree. It's getting less and less responsive everyday, it's ridiculous

23. err404 macrumors 68020

They both have durability advantages. Under normal use w/o a case the 3GS will show more wear and tear in the form of scuffs, scratches and small fractures around the connectors. The iPhone 4 will show far less wear. However under more abusive situations, the iPhone 4 is more likely to suffer catastrophic damage in the form of cracked glass.

Normal use: iPhone 4 is more durable
    Abusive use (accidental dropping): iPhone 3GS is more durable

24. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

the 3GS is MUCH more durable in my opinion. I had my white 3GS caseless most of the time and never had scratches or worries, but I have an Otterbox for my iPhone 4 because it doesn't hold up as well, due to being all glass.