Dust Issue in my Apartment....?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fab5freddy, Nov 4, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

i am having alot of dust in my apartment,
    and around my Macbook Pro and my 30" Apple Display...

What is the best thing i can do to minimize the dust damage...?

Should i just wipe down the dust everyday ?

thanks!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

http://www.air-purifier-power.com/index.html is not too bad of a source to start your search. Keep in mind that anything that tries to terrify you with horrifying effects of something is speaking emotionally, not factually.

I would specifically recommend AGAINST the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze line. So much hype & BS, and actually a severe underperformer, vastly overpriced. Actually, I'd pretty much recommend against anything in Sharper Image. Junk store for the idle rich...

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And the obvious suggestion... vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter, use it considerably more often. When I got my cat Iago, I really turned up the notch on how often I vacuum. It makes a huge difference with dust -- the dust that's on your elevated surfaces is coming from the air, and the dust in the air is in equilibrium with the dust on your floor.

If you have hardwood floors, though, then probably you want some Swiffer kind of thing, though, and not a vacuum cleaner....

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Also, look for a vent with lots of dust on it, it may be useful to clean it and tape a filter over the vent. It worked in my apartment.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That made me think, if you have ceiling fans you frequently use, turn them off and clean the blades. Another place where a lot of dust accumulates. I just cleaned the one in my bedroom the other day, and wow!

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Makes me laugh, a bit.

We have a cockatoo. We have powder. Everywhere. We buy a/c filters by the truck load. ;)

I just blow off the excess, and use a damp cloth for the rest. For the screen itself, KlearScreen and microfiber cloth (iKlear).

edit: I don't dust everyday. If I did, I wouldn't do anything else. It really doesn't get noticeable for a few days.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Interesting post from the OP but surprisingly relevant to almost everybody. :) This may be just the one thing I like about having a desktop such as the Mac Pro or the PowerMac or any desktop PC. It's easy to get inside the case to clean the dust. The new iMacs and laptops can get dusty inside and you can't really clean them easily.

9. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

i have a window with your basic screen on it.....

i think most of the dust comes from outside through the window screen.....
    is there any screen that can prevent dust coming through.....?