iPhone 11 Pro Dust spec in lens

Superrenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Discovered one spec of dust under the glass of the top lense of my new 11Pro. You can barely see it with the naked eye - only under a spy glass. Took some test pictures and it doesn’t show. Otherwise the phone is perfect. Coming from pro photography I know that there is no such a thing as a dust free lense. Is this the same with IPhones? Is it worth swapping an otherwise perfect phone? What do you think?

• Haha
Reactions: internetrando

HerbertDerb

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2017
Yeah, same problem... You really cant see it if you aren't looking for it. Also in here there are couple of other people already that has the same issue. (Running 11 Pro Max 256gb if that matters)

To get it exchanged it's shot in the dark. Might come up with same problem. Personally i have contacted my local Apple service provider and asked can they do anything about it.

Superrenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Yeah, same problem... You really cant see it if you aren't looking for it. Also in here there are couple of other people already that has the same issue. (Running 11 Pro Max 256gb if that matters)

To get it exchanged it's shot in the dark. Might come up with same problem. Personally i have contacted my local Apple service provider and asked can they do anything about it.
Yeah but why exchange if it doesn’t show?

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Most likely they won't exchange it.
Open the phone up- lift up the camera lens, blow it out and then re-seal it.

I'm considering it.
No way would I do this... You will ruin the water resistance. Take it back. You have two weeks to return it for any reason. I don't like the square camera etc.

HerbertDerb

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2017
No way would I do this... You will ruin the water resistance. Take it back. You have two weeks to return it for any reason. I don't like the square camera etc.
I did ask this, their response was that they are using same glue that Apple uses in their factory.

Another option is indeed to change it, but then you run into possible screen issues etc. (That i currently don't have)

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I did ask this, their response was that they are using same glue that Apple uses in their factory.

Another option is indeed to change it, but then you run into possible screen issues etc. (That i currently don't have)
Oh you mean if Apple does it. I thought you meant like do it yourself. I would trust they would replace the glue or whatever that seals it. I would either replace it or ignore it. Sure you can get another phone with a defect but what are the chances. It's not like half their phones have something wrong with them. Ignoring it would be an option since you said it's not in the actual camera lens and you can't see it without a magnifier. I'm assuming since you put a magnifier to your phone you're a little OCD about it (not meaning to be critical because I am too sometimes) so only you can say if this will keep annoying you. What you need to do is make a decision within your return period though because if you put it off then Apple says it's not a problem you're going to be extremely annoyed for the year or more you have it.

Openworld1234

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2019
Yes I remember back in 2017 my iPhone x had a small piece of dust inside the camera lens.

I decided to keep that device didn't want to turn into a stressful exchange mission e.g. yeĺlow screens,dead/stuckpixels,sharp/rough edges etc

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yes I remember back in 2017 my iPhone x had a small piece of dust inside the camera lens.

I decided to keep that device didn't want to turn into a stressful exchange mission e.g. yeĺlow screens,dead/stuckpixels,sharp/rough edges etc
I don't think I would keep a phone with a dust spec in the actual camera lens. That would effect how it works and I'm not paying money for a broken product. Why do people seem to think half of Apple's iPhones have a defect so returning them will be an issue? I've never had a defect in my iPhones or any other Apple product. I know people who have bought iPhones every year since the iPhone 3 or 4 and no defects at all. They have QC but no matter how hard you try there will be one that gets past it.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I don't think I would keep a phone with a dust spec in the actual camera lens. That would effect how it works and I'm not paying money for a broken product. Why do people seem to think half of Apple's iPhones have a defect so returning them will be an issue? I've never had a defect in my iPhones or any other Apple product. I know people who have bought iPhones every year since the iPhone 3 or 4 and no defects at all. They have QC but no matter how hard you try there will be one that gets past it.
Has zero effect on how it works tho.

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
Perhaps all those commenting that dust affects image quality and that it’s “broken” or “defective” should do some actual research. It doesn’t at all.

Superrenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Perhaps all those commenting that dust affects image quality and that it’s “broken” or “defective” should do some actual research. It doesn’t at all.

Thx for the article. But the author is referring to SLR lenses. They are way bigger and I would assume that a small spec of dust doesn’t do any harm in such a huge lens. But the ones used in IPhones are smaller by far so one could think the problem gets bigger. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Broken Hope

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Unless you clean your phone lens every time you take a pic there is way more dirt than a single spec of dust..

Do people really inspect their phones with a magnifying glass and/or under bright torches? I can’t imagine any/many products can survive under that scrutiny.

Nothing is perfect no matter how much you spend on it.

Superrenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Unless you clean your phone lens every time you take a pic there is way more dirt than a single spec of dust..

Do people really inspect their phones with a magnifying glass and/or under bright torches? I can’t imagine any/many products can survive under that scrutiny.

You‘re probably right. Keep your fingers of the good old spyglass. 😜

infoghost

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
Maine
I have the same thing. Took it to Apple, they told me it was considered cosmetic unless it was showing up in pictures or actually causing a problem. My only real option is to return it to ATT and re-purchase. I've taken a ton of pics and it does not show up anywhere at all. Sure it bugs me a little, but the rest of the phone is perfect, so I'll live with it. If it starts showing up, then I'll take it back in and they should fix it. I don't suspect it will ever show up in photos.

Reactions: Superrenz

HerbertDerb

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2017
Just got back from the Apple Service, they don't have the tools to service iPhone 11 Pro's atm.
Soooo, ordered new one and going to return this one then. It's a shot in the dark but lets hope.

My coworker has 300€ Samsung. It has triple camera and yes, in terms of performance/screen/camera/battery life etc. it's like comparing Ferrari to Volkswagen.

But, i can get 3-4 phones with the price of my 11 Pro Max, it doesn't have single spec of dust under the lens.

Reactions: Superrenz

Superrenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Just got back from the Apple Service, they don't have the tools to service iPhone 11 Pro's atm.
Soooo, ordered new one and going to return this one then. It's a shot in the dark but lets hope.

My coworker has 300€ Samsung. It has triple camera and yes, in terms of performance/screen/camera/battery life etc. it's like comparing Ferrari to Volkswagen.

But, i can get 3-4 phones with the price of my 11 Pro Max, it doesn't have single spec of dust under the lens.
Keep your fingers crossed. Gonna keep mine. You can only see the spec under a magnifying glass and it doesn’t show in pictures. Otherwise the phone is perfect.

Reactions: HerbertDerb

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
Thx for the article. But the author is referring to SLR lenses. They are way bigger and I would assume that a small spec of dust doesn’t do any harm in such a huge lens. But the ones used in IPhones are smaller by far so one could think the problem gets bigger. Correct me if I’m wrong.
I can understand why you would think about it in that way, but the size of the lens isn't the reason why the dust doesn't matter. Instead, it's the object distance from the lens and aperture. If you are focusing on an object that is 10 meters away, the dust spec which is 1mm away from the lens is imperceptible because it blurs out of focus. It is physically (and I mean actually from a physics perspective) impossibly for the iPhone camera lens to focus on an object that is 1mm away from it. That is why unless you have tons of dust that is covering most of the sensor, a few specs are invisible and have no impact on image quality in a fixed large aperture lens (like yours). That is what the author of that article was trying to prove - dust doesn't matter and even objects as large as a torn piece of paper don't matter unless it's significantly covering a good portion of the lens and shooting with an f stop of 1/11 (which is impossible on your lens). You can't tell me your dust in relation to your lens size is equivalent to 3/8" pieces of paper on a DSLR lens (which still didn't impact image quality with a large aperture).

Exchange your phone if you must, but I hope you have a better understanding of the physics behind lenses and why the dust is only a cosmetic problem.

Last edited:

MrJM

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2012
Dust under lenses has been a thing with iPhones and iPads for years.

I remember Apple swapped out my iPhone 7 because of it no question!

Superrenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
I can understand why you would think about it in that way, but the size of the lens isn't the reason why the dust doesn't matter. Instead, it's the object distance from the lens and aperture. If you are focusing on an object that is 10 meters away, the dust spec which is 1mm away from the lens is imperceptible because it blurs out of focus. It is physically (and I mean actually from a physics perspective) impossibly for the iPhone camera lens to focus on an object that is 1mm away from it. That is why unless you have tons of dust that is covering most of the sensor, a few specs are invisible and have no impact on image quality in a fixed large aperture lens (like yours). That is what the author of that article was trying to prove - dust doesn't matter and even objects as large as a torn piece of paper don't matter unless it's significantly covering a good portion of the lens and shooting with an f stop of 1/11 (which is impossible on your lens). You can't tell me your dust in relation to your lens size is equivalent to 3/8" pieces of paper on a DSLR lens (which still didn't impact image quality with a large aperture).

Exchange your phone if you must, but I hope you have a better understanding of the physics behind lenses and why the dust is only a cosmetic problem.
Great explanation. Not going to swap it now. Thanx a lot.

Broken Hope

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
The problem with people swapping phones due to things that won't have any impact like a single spec of dust under the lens is that you could get a phone back with problems that do actually impact your usage, like a worse screen etc.

Reactions: kirk.vino