Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They did it once with my X got more dust in and replaced and same issue with replacement going to second Apple store for a replacement of some sort.

How exactly does Apple put more dust in your iPhone X? You should be checking your devices before you even leave the store, that way you don’t keep repeating the same issue over again.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Think apple isnt swapping out anymore. Do an Express.

Apple is not doing in-store exchanges every single time for dust under the camera lens cover anymore. They have the tools and training now to clean under the camera lens cover to remove dust. Any logical person should be checking their phone before they leave the store to ensure there is no dust. That way it alleviates any problems of the same individual coming back and forth for the same problem.

Reactions: AndrewR23

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
How exactly does Apple put more dust in your iPhone X? You should be checking your devices before you even leave the store, that way you don’t keep repeating the same issue over again.
I did when they try to replace the lens they just swapped it out in the same apt and the replacement had same issue I noticed when I got home.
[doublepost=1521199629][/doublepost]
omg you are back

They do replacements but my phone wireless charging not working properly they should be able to swap it we shall see
[doublepost=1521199908][/doublepost]
omg you are back

My friend did an express replacement already also had dust In lens on two express replacements that’s why I won’t do it and FYI the admin got my account back since I was banned.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA

I took mine to apple king of Prussia Pa they didn’t see it in the camera app and they check my lens no dust .

I see the dust but they say if it’s not affecting photos they can”t fix it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Update issue not resolved even trying two Apple stores but if I do express replacement I can get one with dust in the lens

If you Keep doing exchanges for iPhones, you’re constantly can be finding issues or looking for dust. You mentioned your Current iPhone has some dust as you mentioned before, but it’s not affecting or near the camera lens photo’s, then I would just use your iPhone as you normally have. Otherwise it will be a constant cycle of you exchanging phones and more of a hassle for you.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
If you Keep doing exchanges for iPhones, you’re constantly can be finding issues or looking for dust. You mentioned your Current iPhone has some dust as you mentioned before, but it’s not affecting or near the camera lens photo’s, then I would just use your iPhone as you normally have. Otherwise it will be a constant cycle of you exchanging phones and more of a hassle for you.
The issue is when I do express replacement all the units have dust in the lens but the store units have zero dust in lens that’s why I do it at the store but they won’t swap it I”m
Not ok with it but if they won’t do anything it can be as is for now

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Are they still showing up with dust if you buy one new today?

The only ones looking for dust under the camera lens cover are those two are truly examining for it. Not every iPhone will have dust under the camera lens cover, but if it does, Apple has tools to disassemble iPhone and clean under the camera lens cover area.

Btyroler

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2018
Chapel Hill
I just realize mines have a dust right in the near the edge of the bottom lens.
Sigh! It may be an ongoing problem. Wonder is there is a way to protect the sensor. Lens cap ? Ahhh. But seriously
[doublepost=1523111798][/doublepost]
But do they show up in photos. That's the pertinent thing.
And it’s most likely dust in the sensor (do these smart phones have sensors?) rather than a spec in the outside of the lens (?)

Attachments

• FEEF4702-05D8-450B-B053-FD4AE6AE8544.jpeg
    FEEF4702-05D8-450B-B053-FD4AE6AE8544.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 345

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And it’s most likely dust in the sensor (do these smart phones have sensors?) rather than a spec in the outside of the lens (?)

Its Dust under the camera lens cover, which they will clean the camera module area with a soft brush and cloth.

Reactions: Btyroler

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thank you! I will make sure they do that? How do you prevent it from happening again??

When you purchase an iPhone brand new, if there is dust under the camera lens cover, it’s because the factory conditions it was manufactured in. When you take your phone to the Apple store, they will clean it and it will remove any dust that was there that should not have been there in the first place. So there is nothing you can do to prevent it after that, because the iPhone camera is a sealed area.

Btyroler

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2018
Chapel Hill
When you purchase an iPhone brand new, if there is dust under the camera lens cover, it’s because the factory conditions it was manufactured in. When you take your phone to the Apple store, they will clean it and it will remove any dust that was there that should not have been there in the first place. So there is nothing you can do to prevent it after that, because the iPhone camera is a sealed area.
Thank you for this info. This would imply that the area was not properly sealed to begin with, and after it is properly sealed I should not be experiencing any more dust problems?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thank you for this info. This would imply that the area was not properly sealed to begin with, and after it is properly sealed I should not be experiencing any more dust problems?

It’s not that it wasn’t properly sealed to begin with, it’s that the dust in the factory conditions during the manufacturing was able to get trapped under the camera lens cover/module area. Once Apple cleans the camera lens cover area, inspect it before you leave the store, to Avoid any concerns.

Reactions: Btyroler

Ikertxo40

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2018
It’s not that it wasn’t properly sealed to begin with, it’s that the dust in the factory conditions during the manufacturing was able to get trapped under the camera lens cover/module area. Once Apple cleans the camera lens cover area, inspect it before you leave the store, to Avoid any concerns.

I am not sure I can agree with you. My iPhone X when I bought it in November it had the 3 cameras totally (I mean, TOTALLY) clean. After 5 months I have discovered last week a white dust dot in the front camera (outside of the objective circle) and also in the rear 2 cameras (also outside of the objective circle, sticked to the glass covering the full camera body), both have dust that didn't have before. So my 3 cameras are not clean, something that never happened to my original iPhone, iPhone 4, 6, 6S and even the 8 I have (work phone). Or even all my iPads.

So if it is factory dust (pretty sloppy if it is), it took months to move an appear in my 3 cameras. I am into believing my iPhone is not properly sealed or there is some small entry between screen and body or something similar. Suddenly my 3 cameras get dirty after some holidays with the iPhone for the first time in a pants pocket for hours. Btw, I have an Apple iPhone leather case, which tends to collect dust next to the earspeaker for calls...

I am considering going to an Apple Store in Berlin or not, as I don´t think they have a "dust free" room, so the chances I get more dust in during the repair, and more dust coming in the next weeks after the repair, high.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am not sure I can agree with you. My iPhone X when I bought it in November it had the 3 cameras totally (I mean, TOTALLY) clean. After 5 months I have discovered last week a white dust dot in the front camera (outside of the objective circle) and also in the rear 2 cameras (also outside of the objective circle, sticked to the glass covering the full camera body), both have dust that didn't have before.

I’m not saying it can’t happen, but I do think it’s really rare dust all of a sudden can randomly appear under the camera lens cover when there was no dust present before. I would say approximately 90% of the cases that I have read about, the dust is trapped under the lens cover because of the manufacturing conditions when the iPhone is being assembled in the factory itself. Rarely, if ever, Have I ever heard of dust randomly appearing under the camera lens cover, unless the dust somehow managed to move (Which I doubt because of lack of air under the lens cover), or; you have a gap somewhere in your iPhone that is allowing dust/debris to enter (Which is what I am inclined to believe). That would be the only other logical thing I could think of.

Ikertxo40

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2018
I’m not saying it can’t happen, but I do think it’s really rare dust all of a sudden can randomly appear under the camera lens cover when there was no dust present before. I would say approximately 90% of the cases that I have read about, the dust is trapped under the lens cover because of the manufacturing conditions when the iPhone is being assembled in the factory itself. Rarely, if ever, Have I ever heard of dust randomly appearing under the camera lens cover, unless the dust somehow managed to move (Which I doubt because of lack of air under the lens cover), or; you have a gap somewhere in your iPhone that is allowing dust/debris to enter (Which is what I am inclined to believe). That would be the only other logical thing I could think of.

It has to be that, I am sure the dust was not there before... But the question would be: where is the gap? I really though the phone was water and dust resistant. I can only think of the ear speaker, but even that should be sealed...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It has to be that, I am sure the dust was not there before... But the question would be: where is the gap? I really though the phone was water and dust resistant. I can only think of the ear speaker, but even that should be sealed...

I would allow an Apple store if you have one, inspect your device and see if it’s something that they can determine if there is a defect or they can physically disassemble the iPhone and clean under the camera lens cover area and then reassemble it.

Ikertxo40

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2018
I would allow an Apple store if you have one, inspect your device and see if it’s something that they can determine if there is a defect or they can physically disassemble the iPhone and clean under the camera lens cover area and then reassemble it.

Yes but saw in ifixit website the iPhone x teardown, and when you open it, it breaks the black glue seal.

Do you think the water and dust resistance continue after they open it once?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Do you think the water and dust resistance continue after they open it once?

Apple has exact guidelines to follow to restore your iPhone back to its water resistance rating with replacing the gasket’s and sealing after they disassemble the iPhone to restore it back to normal.

Btyroler

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2018
Chapel Hill
Will do!

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
I worked with a senior advisor who talked to Apple engineers they told me the lens can’t be cleaned I will need a replacement for all you people with this issue just ask for a replacement.

Attachments

• 6F37CA48-1E80-4980-90DB-9B9F7C0E6F8C.jpeg
    6F37CA48-1E80-4980-90DB-9B9F7C0E6F8C.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 275

Ikertxo40

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2018
I worked with a senior advisor who talked to Apple engineers they told me the lens can’t be cleaned I will need a replacement for all you people with this issue just ask for a replacement.

But my dust is not in the objective/lens, is between the lens and the glass. And this can be cleaned unmounting several pieces in the iPhone, extracting camera module in full and cleaning the glass that stays in the chasis, the ine that protect the lenses, where the dust is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.