Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrg_i

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2003
The question would be better put to Elgato, but they seem to have shifted their priorities and product range- they've been rebadging products in the mobile space and (the one I really cannot understand) Thunderbolt storage arrays. Oh, also mood lights, apparently!

So perhaps TV on computers just isn't selling sufficiently well to bother with, commercially.

Last edited:
Reactions: satcomer

Dark Fiber

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
The elephant in the room in this thread is DRM. I think the stumbling block for ElGato is legal not technical.
HDTV standards require that hard disk recordings are encrypted. Thus, I can record and playback in High Definition using my HD-PVR but I can only back my recordings up in Standard Definition.
BTW I now own six EyeTV compatible tuners, and every time the software phones home a customer survey I tell it to ask "Why no DVB-T2?" I'm afraid I may already know the answer.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The elephant in the room in this thread is DRM. I think the stumbling block for ElGato is legal not technical.
HDTV standards require that hard disk recordings are encrypted. Thus, I can record and playback in High Definition using my HD-PVR but I can only back my recordings up in Standard Definition.
BTW I now own six EyeTV compatible tuners, and every time the software phones home a customer survey I tell it to ask "Why no DVB-T2?" I'm afraid I may already know the answer.

I thought this to be the case early on in this thread (a few years back!) but since I own the PCTV stick and have recorded in unencrypted HD on both Windows and Linux there is probably another reason.

The PCTV chip comes from Sony, if I am not mistaken. My guess (and it is no more than that) is that Sony is not best disposed towards Apple and is not cooperating on giving details of the hardware needed to facilitate writing drivers for any platform other than Windows. The Linux driver was reverse engineered somehow and made available freely. I would guess that Sony might cut up rusty if a commercial operation did the same and charged for an Mac kext.

Dark Fiber

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
I thought this to be the case early on in this thread (a few years back!) but since I own the PCTV stick and have recorded in unencrypted HD on both Windows and Linux there is probably another reason.
I do realise that the fact that DVB-T2 tuners are sold in the world of Windows proves that there is no technical barrier to recording unencrypted. I am suggesting (as you did in 2011 :) ) that the fact that doing so is not permitted, and might leave the company open to legal action in the few countries that use DVB-T2, is what is deterring ElGato from marketing a DVB-T2 product. The BBC has imposed its DRM on the version of HD used in the UK and, I believe, has already taken steps to enforce compliance with the standard in PVRs. The organization is litigious and has deep pockets. I note that the company mentioned as marketing "the first" DVB-T2 stick back in 2011 is no longer in business.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I note that the company mentioned as marketing "the first" DVB-T2 stick back in 2011 is no longer in business.

Not true. Hauppauge bought it but has not rebranded it and you can buy the nanostick from Maplin, Amazon, Dabs et al. Also, I recorded on Windows with the supplied software. I am not aware of any litigation. Perhaps you are thinking of DPCP?

Dark Fiber

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
I was referring to "TV Stick", I stand corrected if I have misunderstood the situation with that brand.
HDCP is, indeed, what prevents the backup/download of HD material from its encrypted state on the hard disk of a PVR to an unencrypted state on an external hard drive or a BD writer. This is precisely what the standard seeks to prevent! If your equipment allows you to burn a BluRay disk or disseminate an unencrypted digital copy of HD material (as I believe it does) then it breaks the rules and legal action could result.
You seem to be saying that, because equipment is on sale that breaks the rules, ElGato would be willing to break those rules.
There is equipment openly on sale to defeat HDCP! The Mac world has a history of obeying regulations- analogue modems were sold in the Windows marketplace without BABT certification, Global Village modems awaited certification; DVD ripping software came years late to Macs and channel bonding in WiFi was only available on Apple equipment after the rules were relaxed, whereas a major UK ISP was happily using it against the rules.

Last edited:

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
It has been a long wait and there's no timing announced, but just maybe a DBV-T2 version of EyeTV will eventually appear now that Elgato has sold its EyeTV business to Geniatech Europe GmbH, whose GM, Mike Decker, is quoted in the press release of 29 Feb 2016 as saying:

“We have substantial plans for EyeTV. Both existing and future customers can look forward to exciting innovations around DVB-T2/HEVC and apps for Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Google Nexus Player Android TV. We are also planning the next generation of award-winning EyeTV 4 software with a new and modern user experience.”

Let's hope the next generation, EyeTV 4, allows you to switch off the Timeline altogether. I've turned it off as much as possible in EyeTV 3: that's when jumping forwards or backwards. However, when foreign languages are translated in fast changing subtitles at the bottom of the screen, I hit the spacebar to pause while I read them only for the damn timeline to appear hiding the subtitles! Grrr! Also when I have the TV in a small window while I use another app and suddenly want to see the TV in full screen, if my double click accidentally lands low in the window, the dreaded Timeline pops up and I jump to the part of the programme represented by where my click lands in the Timeline rather than showing the part I wanted to see in full screen glory! Grrr, again!!

Does anyone else share this frustration?!

For more details on Elgato selling EyeTV business, see the press release.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
It has been a long wait and there's no timing announced, but just maybe a DBV-T2 version of EyeTV will eventually appear now that Elgato has sold its EyeTV business to Geniatech Europe GmbH, whose GM, Mike Decker, is quoted in the press release of 29 Feb 2016 as saying:

“We have substantial plans for EyeTV. Both existing and future customers can look forward to exciting innovations around DVB-T2/HEVC and apps for Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Google Nexus Player Android TV. We are also planning the next generation of award-winning EyeTV 4 software with a new and modern user experience.”

Let's hope the next generation, EyeTV 4, allows you to switch off the Timeline altogether. I've turned it off as much as possible in EyeTV 3: that's when jumping forwards or backwards. However, when foreign languages are translated in fast changing subtitles at the bottom of the screen, I hit the spacebar to pause while I read them only for the damn timeline to appear hiding the subtitles! Grrr! Also when I have the TV in a small window while I use another app and suddenly want to see the TV in full screen, if my double click accidentally lands low in the window, the dreaded Timeline pops up and I jump to the part of the programme represented by where my click lands in the Timeline rather than showing the part I wanted to see in full screen glory! Grrr, again!!

[doublepost=1459584688][/doublepost]Excellent thread.

I miss my t.v.via Win t.v.@previous workplace 99-2010.

For me Skygo takes away any need for a DBV-T2 stick via Mac.

Though would certainly purchase if it was available.

Have not yet used You view or HD terrestrial.

Saving for a 4k t.v. which will prob include you view.

Though fort techy reasons a DVB-T2 stick via Macbook would be excellent.

I done a basic search a few yrs ago,very suprised DBV-T2 not yet reached Mac products.

angelsevov

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2006

This happend actually in February.. And i was quite surprised that no-one realised it..
And here comes the big news... Eye tv has just released EYEtv3 with DVB-t2 support...
EyeTV 3.6.9 (7413) for OSX El Captain Version 10.11.3
General Improvements
  • DVB-T2 Support
  • improved support for EyeTV Netstream 4Sat
  • miscellaneous improvements & bug fixes
Can someone try and verify this? There is PCTV 292e USB tuner with dvb-t2 support.. Is it working under EYE tv3?

Reactions: Donfor39

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
Thanks angelsevov.

I sent an email to Geniatech asking about DVB-T2 and making the points about EyeTV 3's timeline I had previously made in my last post to this thread. This was the reply:

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting Geniatech EyeTV Support.
Please excuse the circumstances.

I'll forward your email to our productmanager to make our products better. Thank you for your suggest.

About DVB-T2:
All EyeTV products except EyeTV Hybrid need to be upgraded for new standard DVB-T2/H264. EyeTV Hybrid does support DVB-T2 now.

Kind regards,

Qirui

Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

I'd like the Geniatech equivalent of the Elgato's EyeTV Diversity tuner, so I can watch one channel while I record another to watch later.

angelsevov

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2006
Thanks angelsevov.

I sent an email to Geniatech asking about DVB-T2 and making the points about EyeTV 3's timeline I had previously made in my last post to this thread. This was the reply:

I'd like the Geniatech equivalent of the Elgato's EyeTV Diversity tuner, so I can watch one channel while I record another to watch later.

It is just weird. i have an EyeTV Hybrid, bought it like 4 years ago... i dont think that my EyeTV Hybrid is/was tvb-t2 compatible (ill try at home).. Maybe they just changed the hardware? it looks like Geniatech havent update the product page, they just added DVB-T2 logo, didint change specs yet. it s still showing old specs and information like "DVB-T2 broadcasts are not supported"

peobjorn

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2016
Stockholm
It is just weird. i have an EyeTV Hybrid, bought it like 4 years ago... i dont think that my EyeTV Hybrid is/was tvb-t2 compatible (ill try at home).. Maybe they just changed the hardware? it looks like Geniatech havent update the product page, they just added DVB-T2 logo, didint change specs yet. it s still showing old specs and information like "DVB-T2 broadcasts are not supported"

I just made the same observation: I was happy to finally see a DVB-T2 logo on the Eve-TV Hybrid product page, but further down in the tech specs it still says "DVB-T2 broadcasts are not supported". I mailed Geniatech two weeks ago with a direct question about DVB-T2 compatible products but despite two reminders they still have not replied.

EDIT: Just received a reply from Geniatech:
"EyeTV Hybrid does support DVB-T2 now:"
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/product/eyetv-hybrid/

I asked again why the tech specs says the opposite, I'll share if I get another answer.

EDIT 2: All of a sudden they are really quick! New answer:
"That is our mistake, 'DVB-T2 broadcasts are not supported' was for old EyeTV Hybrid and old version of EyeTV 3. Now EyeTV Hybrid does support DVB-T2 with EyeTV 3.6.9. We'll correct it, thank you for your information."

What is the verdict of the contributors to this thread - is the issue resolved now? Is this enough to dare to buy the new EyeTV Hybrid?

Last edited:
Reactions: angelsevov

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
"That is our mistake, 'DVB-T2 broadcasts are not supported' was for old EyeTV Hybrid and old version of EyeTV 3. Now EyeTV Hybrid does support DVB-T2 with EyeTV 3.6.9. We'll correct it, thank you for your information."

What is the verdict of the contributors to this thread - is the issue resolved now? Is this enough to dare to buy the new EyeTV Hybrid?

It looks to me that you have got the clarification for which you asked. So, if an EyeTV Hybrid supporting DVB-T2 is what you want, then you should be OK, provided you make sure it is the new version. Retailers may still have old Elgato stock. It could be confusing for people unfamiliar with the history and perhaps a name more clearly different than EyeTV Hybrid 2 would have helped, as currently Geniatech doesn't always add the '2'!

I gather that DVD-T2 is more efficient than DVD-T and both can be used for either SDTV or HDTV. In the UK, so far, SD channels are broadcast on DVB-T and HD on DVB-T2. So for UK residents wanting to buy EyeTV to receive HD broadcasts, it would worth asking Geniatech to confirm that the new EyeTV Hybrid (with the included version of EyeTV 3 software) will receive and display HDTV broadcasts on a computer screen with sufficient resolution (presumably all current and recent Apple desktop computers and Retina laptops). I believe it's similar in Sweden, but I'm not sure of the current situation there.

I think I shall wait for the DVD-T2 version of EyeTV Diversity.

Incidentally, EyeTV SD recordings are about 2.7 or 2.8 GB per hour. How big are HD broadcasts likely to be in GB?

Mr-GC

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2016
Hi guys,

I've had various Elgato USB device over the past 5 years so that I can watch tv on my mac while i'm surfing the web/studying etc etc.

Anyway, the last one I bought was in 2009, the Elgato Hybrid - it works great!

The only problem is it doesn't receive DVB-T2, which is the standard being used in the UK for Freview HD.

With HD programming becoming better by the day and Elgato not planning on updating their hardware anytime soon, I was wondering if anyone was aware of an alternative device? Preferably something compatible with EyeTV 3?

Thanks guys!

Hi,

Geniatech, who recently took over support for EyeTV from Elgato, have released an updated version of the EyeTV software which supports DVB-T2 (Freeview HD in the UK) on the EyeTV Hybrid. I have got one of these and it works well.
[doublepost=1464764124][/doublepost]
I just made the same observation: I was happy to finally see a DVB-T2 logo on the Eve-TV Hybrid product page, but further down in the tech specs it still says "DVB-T2 broadcasts are not supported". I mailed Geniatech two weeks ago with a direct question about DVB-T2 compatible products but despite two reminders they still have not replied.

EDIT: Just received a reply from Geniatech:
"EyeTV Hybrid does support DVB-T2 now:"
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/product/eyetv-hybrid/

I asked again why the tech specs says the opposite, I'll share if I get another answer.

Yes, get one, I did and it works well for DVB-T2 (Freeview HD in the UK).

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Hi,

Thanks Mr GC, this could be excellent for my bedroom via mcbpro.

Can you recommend a u.k. retailer, please post a link if possible.

I'll check later, unfortunately I don't have this time this morning.

peobjorn

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2016
Stockholm
Thanks Mr GC, this could be excellent for my bedroom via mcbpro.

Can you recommend a u.k. retailer, please post a link if possible.

I'll check later, unfortunately I don't have this time this morning.

I bought it through their own web shop: http://shop-de.geniatech.eu/
I had to make them notice that the pack shot shows a DVB-T2 logo but they still had not updated the product description.
[doublepost=1464785364][/doublepost]
Hi,

Geniatech, who recently took over support for EyeTV from Elgato, have released an updated version of the EyeTV software which supports DVB-T2 (Freeview HD in the UK) on the EyeTV Hybrid. I have got one of these and it works well.
[doublepost=1464764124][/doublepost]

I'm not so lucky, though. 2-3 weeks and countless e-mails to their "support" and it's still not working. It jumps to a new frozen frame about every 2-3 seconds and the "support" has no clue other than replacing the hardware. Maybe this forum is smarter? I'm on a Mac with 10.11.5 and have updated to the EyeTV software version.

Last edited:

baabaa90

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
I'm not so lucky, though. 2-3 weeks and countless e-mails to their "support" and it's still not working. It jumps to a new frozen frame about every 2-3 seconds and the "support" has no clue other than replacing the hardware. Maybe this forum is smarter? I'm on a Mac with 10.11.5 and have updated to the EyeTV software version.
I'm having a similar issue. Some of the HD Channels (BBC/ ITV) work well, but some of the SD Channels (BBC/ ITV) only display the odd frame of video and stuttering sound. Signal Quality reports 100% and Strength 75%. An old Cinergy TV tuner works perfectly (albeit only SD).

peobjorn

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2016
Stockholm
Update: The "support" never managed to provide me with a return label for replacing the product so I asked for my money back. They then quit replying. I'm now stuck with a non-working piece of crap that cost me €150. Cheaters.

Reactions: George Dawes

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I also recently tried the new 'Hybrid' that does DVB-T2 for the Freeview HD channels in the UK.

Unfortunately I had the same experience as some of you here, in that the signal strength was noticeably lower than both my other tuners and TVs. I tried in different USB ports, different cable lengths (aerial and USB), used known-good cables, tried two different TV amplifiers (the more powerful of which did boost the strength to about 80%, but didn't really improve matters in general at all). All my other tuners usually manage 90-100% signal and quality. And even at 100/50 there should have been more success.

In the end I sent it back for a refund (bought it from a seller on amazon).

The frustrating thing is that it did seem like it *almost* worked. It got a couple of the HD multiplexes in the channel list, and I did get it to display a couple of HD channels. But it was missing swathes of standard def channels and wasn't very reliable with the signal. Hopefully there's just a kink in the firmware or software support they can fix for the future.

--------

In better news, I have had much more luck with the Silicon Dust 'HD Homerun Connect' product.
http://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/

I'm running it connected directly to an ethernet port on my computer, works quite well with the latest version of EyeTV (v3.6.9) once you've set it up (bit fiddly at first, but is fine now), although I've had to restart it every now and again. But I have HD TV on my mac at last! Only about a decade longer than it should have taken, but never mind!

Decent review from last year that goes into more depth than I have, almost essential* reading if you're interested:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/s...silicondust-hdhomerun-connect-review-3620932/

*I say essential because you should be aware of the bug about not cleanly exporting full resolution recordings. This is a shame, but if you needed to export in full resolution then although not as ideal as a lossless native format export, I recommend using Handbrake and appropriate settings of your choice. If you only need to be able to playback in the EyeTV app itself, that works fine.

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
A few months have gone by since anyone has posted here and I wonder whether anyone has yet had a good experience getting HD on DVB-T2 with the new EyeTV hardware that claims DVB-T2 compatibility.

If so, I'd also be grateful to know the approximate size of files for EyeTV's HD recordings of, say, 60 minutes duration.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
My EPG has gone kaput on my Elgato Freesat HD all of a sudden , looks like the chinese buy out has really messed up the thing .. so sad , this white box has served me well for almost 10 years now - it was amazing

I'll probably have to buy an alternative normal box now :(

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
It's a while since anyone posted here. Is anyone still there?!

Is anyone now doing well with one of the EyeTV T2 sticks?

Also, if HD broadcasts are recorded, how large are the HD (High Def) files?

On 4 May 2017, the EyeTVforum moderator thomaskud answered a query about whether it was worth waiting for a DVB-T2 version of the Diversity tuner, as follows:

"A dual-tuner stick for T2/T2 HEVC is in our plan. No worries"

That was over a year ago and there still isn't one available!

I prodded twice on the same thread for details of when it might be available, but there's been no further reply. Anyone else still waiting for a dual-tuner stick for DVB-T2?

angelsevov

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2006
It's a while since anyone posted here. Is anyone still there?!

Is anyone now doing well with one of the EyeTV T2 sticks?

Also, if HD broadcasts are recorded, how large are the HD (High Def) files?

On 4 May 2017, the EyeTVforum moderator thomaskud answered a query about whether it was worth waiting for a DVB-T2 version of the Diversity tuner, as follows:

"A dual-tuner stick for T2/T2 HEVC is in our plan. No worries"

That was over a year ago and there still isn't one available!

I prodded twice on the same thread for details of when it might be available, but there's been no further reply. Anyone else still waiting for a dual-tuner stick for DVB-T2?

Yes some of us are stillhere. But instead of waiting for a stick i bought an eyetv netstream 4Sat (refresh) https://www.geniatech.eu/product/eyetv-netstream-4sat/

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
Yes some of us are stillhere. But instead of waiting for a stick i bought an eyetv netstream 4Sat (refresh) https://www.geniatech.eu/product/eyetv-netstream-4sat/

Thanks, angelsevov, for your suggestion.

However, what I'm after is a DVB-T2 compatible USB tuner, preferably one that I can use with EyeTV software, (though it's a great shame they changed the application so that now if you pause it a progress bar covers the subtitles, which continues to annoy me!).

I assume EyeTV Netstream 4Sat is not DVB-T2 compatible. I had a roof-top aerial installed for terrestrial broadcasts rather than a satellite dish, which is why I got my original, SD tuner.

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
While still waiting for the EyeTV Diversity, dual-tuner USB stick to appear, I noticed rather mixed reviews of the single tuner T2 version. So I am giving up waiting for the dual-tuner version.

In searching for an alternative, I came across network tuners/recorders that can provide DVB-T2, which seem a good idea, such as VBox and HDHomeRun. I don't know if I need any new software or whether I can use my EyeTV 3 with such boxes. I see there's software called Plex that some people at least use with such network TV devices. There are two levels of Plex, one of which needs a subscription. Can I use my EyeTV 3 software with the network tuners/recorders, with or without Plex? If I need Plex, do to have to buy the paid-subscription level Plex, just to watch and record Freeview or will the free version do?

I find the whole thing difficult to research and understand. Perhaps I should change my Macrumors name to "too old John"! Can anyone help explain these products to an old man, one that's struggling with these technologies so as to be able to view and record Freeview HD to view on a 27" iMac (and/or MacBook Pro and/or the family smart TV)?

Reactions: angelsevov
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.