DVD Authoring from Adobe?

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I suppose it would have to have a lot of video editing features to compete with Final Cut Pro and iDVD. Seems like Apple has that area well covered.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I has to be super easy, faster and free to compete with apple
unless it for pros

lilscoy

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2002
No...

How about getting out Photoshop for OS X before worrying about DVD authoring???

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Adobe is a big ass company.. They make great stuff... I bet it will be a Pro-DVD authoring program, not like iMovie.

Who makes final cut pro?

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
apple makes FCP

I wonder if apple will blow them away with their DVD app like they did with FCP to Premiere

miller250

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2002
Cleveland
WHO MAKES FINAL CUT PRO!!!!!??????

WHO MAKES FINAL CUT PRO!!!!!????? ARE YOU SERIOUS????? HAHAHAHA WOW! POST YOUR MESSAGES SOMEWHERE ELSE BUDDY!

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Re: WHO MAKES FINAL CUT PRO!!!!!??????

Originally posted by miller250
WHO MAKES FINAL CUT PRO!!!!!????? ARE YOU SERIOUS????? HAHAHAHA WOW! POST YOUR MESSAGES SOMEWHERE ELSE BUDDY!
Thanks a lot buddy, I consider myself someone who knows a bit about apple... So i didnt recall who makes FCP.. oh well! its not like i do high tech video editing, and dont have $999 for a program like that.. Maybe when im older, i will.. until then.. shut up :)

U

Unregistered

No matter what Adobe puts out, I will not buy it, They have fu*ked Mac users over long enough by dragging out PS for OS X. Screw them. I remember them bragging 14 months ago about how it would take a couple weeks to port PS 6 over to OS X using Apple's API's. HA HA HA, guess they were either lying through their teeth, or talking out their assho;es... both things Adobe is good at.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
There is plenty of room for improvement in DVD Studio Pro.. but it's still in its first version, and doesn't work under X yet... I assume that in the spirit of Final Cut Pro, Apple will make big improvements with each new version of DVD Studio Pro. By the time Adobe gets theirs out the door, who knows what Apple will have. Competition is a good thing... I'm sure FCP would not be as good if Premiere didn't exist. Let's hope the same goes for the DVD side.

U

Unregistered

Re: No...

Originally posted by lilscoy
How about getting out Photoshop for OS X before worrying about DVD authoring???
So what - is Adobe not allowed to work on other products now because of Photoshop on OS X? So I guess the After Effects, Premiere, Illustrator, Acrobat, and other teams in Adobe should all stop working immediately, and any new interesting ideas for other products should also cease, because lord almighty, a few Mac users don't want to wait any longer for Photoshop on X! Dammit, the ENTIRE RESOURCES OF THE COMPANY are required for this, let no man or woman rest until it's finished! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry - but this constant stream of complaining about Photoshop on X is really starting to bug me. I think Adobe is quite aware that people want it by now. Is it possible for any thread on Adobe to NOT mention Photoshop on OS X?

U

Unregistered

Originally posted by mac15
I has to be super easy, faster and free to compete with apple
unless it for pros
It is for pros, I heard on the grapevine that it is supposed to be a companion to After Effects. It will compete with Apple's DVD Studio Pro, not iDVD.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
the next version of DVDSP will have whatever apple bought spruce for, included. DVDSP and iDvd don't leave adobe a lot of room to manouvere.
they may incorporate dvd features in their other apps for mac. adobe will be working hard on a dvd app though, for the pc market. when apple knocked over spruce it left a big hole in dvd authoring for pc.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I think that it will be very hard to compete with FCP and DVD Studio Pro.

Also, if its Windows only DVD-R drives are not standerd on almost all Windows PCs.

Ensign

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Someone mentioned earlier that DVDSP has room for improvement, I totally agree. Of the last three projects I worked on, two I wouldn't have been able to do nearly as well on DVDSP as I did on Sonic because Apple takes over too much of the scripting. The Astarte foundation they built DVDSP on is solid, but there is still a way to go IMO to make DVDSP a true Pro app. Hopefully Apple will use the purchase of Spruce to well, uh, spruce up the abilities of DVDSP and make a true Pro level Authoring Package.
As far as Adobe, there is room right now for competition with DVDSP, but maybe less so if a DVDSP 2.0 for OSX fills some holes. Adobe won't be able to compete with iDVD since it's free, so their only real market would be PCs. I don't see too much available there for the sub $10,000 market that Adobe couldn't do as well or better at.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Final Cut Pro and iDVD...

... have it all covered already. From what I've heard of them and seen in person, they will be hard to top. Easy, powerful, well-designed...they certainly seem to be on top right now.

Matthew

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
FCP is a very good program, hell I've been living off it for two years now, but like everything there can still be improvements. People probably were saying the same thing about Premiere before FCP. iDVD is a good consumer app, and you can't beat the price, but try to recreate some of the menus and actions of better DVD releases from Hollywood and you will immediately see it's shortcomings. ditto for DVD Studio Pro. DVDSP has some serious limitations right now, especially for the pro user, but once again it's hard to beat for the price. (A single feature upgrade on my sonic system costs three times what DVDSP costs.)
Adobe can build a DVD system that will compete and may even be better than the current version of DVDSP, but it will be a hard fight. Beat iDVD? Why bother competing against a free app? That only leaves two markets...the mid range Pro DVD authoring arena for $1000-$10,000 on both platforms, and the big market of consumer/prosumer PC users. And now that you can get an IDE DVD burner for $400 or less that market will grow exponentialy. My guess is we won't see an Adobe DVD app for the Mac, but that's just my guess.