Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
PA
Hey, I recently invested in an external DVD burner, but have been having some issues in copying DVDs. First, I want to note that I am only copying DVDs that are owned by members of my family for backup and so we can all have copies, since me and my brother are both away at college...nothing but fair-use stuff going on.

Anyway, I am using Mac-The-Ripper 2.6.6 to rip, and Toast 7.02 to burn. I am using an 800mhz iBook (640MB RAM, 54GB hard drive, with ~9GB free before ripping a movie), with a Lite-On DVD burner attached via USB 2.0. I always make sure to restart (OS 10.3) before I rip/burn, and don't do anything else while ripping/burning. Despite this, I keep getting glitches in the copies. They are just split-second errors, and can vary from none to several in a movie.

My instinct says that I probably don't have enough open space on my hard drive once I load a full DVD on there, but I haven't had a chance to test this theory.

Any advice/comments would be a great help. Thanks in advance to some, and "seriously, I'm doing this legally" in advance to others. ;)

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
i've had fairly good experiences using Dragon Burn for burning media.

What kind of recordable media are you using? Not all DVD-Rs are created equally, and some media will record better than others. What speed are you recording at? Is the drive USB 2.0 only, or does it also have a Firewire 400 interface?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
pinto32 said:
Hey, I recently invested in an external DVD burner, but have been having some issues in copying DVDs. First, I want to note that I am only copying DVDs that are owned by members of my family for backup and so we can all have copies, since me and my brother are both away at college...nothing but fair-use stuff going on.
Duplicating a commercial DVD so more than one person can use it in more than one residence (sibling or not) can't be considered fair-use backups of media. IMO.

Backup, by any definition I have seen, is for the personal use of the individual who owns the original only.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
pinto32 said:
First, I want to note that I am only copying DVDs that are owned by members of my family for backup and so we can all have copies, since me and my brother are both away at college...nothing but fair-use stuff going on.

Backup is fair use. Taking copies with you to college doesn't sound remotely like "fair use" to me. Do what you like, but don't kid yourself and us and claim it is "fair use".

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
Since when is there a "FAMILY-USE" clause in the fair-play usage agreement? It sounds to me like you're aren't "backing up" but instead are pirating and bootlegging copies of DVDs that YOU do not own. Mommy's and Daddy's DVDs aren't yours to copy, kiddo.

maxiam

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2006
Try burning at a slower speed.

I find with DVD video burning that choosing maximum burn speed gives a disc that will freeze at a particular point about 20 or 30% of the time. I guess this relates to the quality of the -R media but I have also had the problem with Apple brand discs :confused:

I agree that your stated use infringes copyright.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm pretty lenient about the whole "fair use" deal - I have kids, and I back up a number of their DVDs (starting after we lost a folder of 20 of them on a flight, some of which were irreplaceable due to that damned Disney "vault"). I have no issues whatsoever about making a copy and using the copy instead of the original. If the manufacturer would replace any damaged copies for a small fee (say, $2-$3), then I'd never back them up. But... to pay $15-$25 for a DVD - most of which presumably covers the license to view it, as it certainly exceeds the cost of the actual device itself - is unfair. I should not have to pay twice (or more) for the license to view. It is unimportant to me that I might be violating the law using MacTheRipper to copy DVDs. I don't see it as immoral, unethical, or anything like that, and I don't lose sleep over it.

That said: one backup copy is all I make (and only on some DVDs), and I then put away the original. Making multiple copies for simultaneous viewing in different locations? Not fair use.

That said, I agree - use a slower speed, and only rip the main feature so as to require less compression. On the one backup copy.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Most DVD's now are Dual-Layer, and most people who make "backups" of their DVD's use single layer DVD disks, they are a lot cheaper. These means you are trying to fit double the information onto one disk, there will inherently be glitches and mess-ups from the compression. Some programs let you remove features to save space and improve quality ( can remove languages, soundtracks, extra features, etc.). If you have a double layer drive and double layer disks, I bet the copies would be actually like the original.

maxiam

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2006
Even though most DVD palyers can be made region free, the idea that they expect us to buy new DVDs when we move to another country still gets to me. In this case, I consider removing region control and copying fair use. I have also added subtitles to DVDs and think that's fair.

Unfortunately, I don't think the law is on my side... :mad:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
maxiam said:
Even though most DVD players can be made region free, the idea that they expect us to buy new DVDs when we move to another country still gets to me.
Agreed. I'd accept a trade-in option with a small fee, but the whole region-locking deal is absurd. Legal, but absurd.

maxiam

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2006
wwooden said:
Most DVD's now are Dual-Layer, and most people who make "backups" of their DVD's use single layer DVD disks, they are a lot cheaper. These means you are trying to fit double the information onto one disk, there will inherently be glitches and mess-ups from the compression. Some programs let you remove features to save space and improve quality ( can remove languages, soundtracks, extra features, etc.). If you have a double layer drive and double layer disks, I bet the copies would be actually like the original.

Sure, you shrink a movie and there will be some loss of quality. Its not that noticeable unless you have high standards and a BIG TV.
I don't think the problem is to do with compression. The compressed VOBs will play fine from the hard drive, its during the burn that the problems start.

Lowering the speed seems to alleviate this.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
gnasher729 said:
Backup is fair use. Taking copies with you to college doesn't sound remotely like "fair use" to me. Do what you like, but don't kid yourself and us and claim it is "fair use".
What about ripping the DVD to iTunes and carrying it to school on your iPod? Would that fall under Fair Use?

If so, why wouldn't taking a copy of the disc?

maxiam

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2006
ChrisBrightwell said:
What about ripping the DVD to iTunes and carrying it to school on your iPod? Would that fall under Fair Use?

That is still use by the owner of the DVD. Pinto32 is talking about 3 copies to be used by different people in different locations: the "family", himself and his brother. A lot of people do that with CDs and DVDs but that doesn't mean its legal.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
ChrisBrightwell said:

Actually, it's technically illegal, apparently, to rip any copies of DVDs. Which is ridiculous in cases like putting one on your laptop for viewing in-flight, or when putting it on your iPod. Still... it's illegal.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
jsw said:
Actually, it's technically illegal, apparently, to rip any copies of DVDs.
Circumventing copy protection is illegal. Copying for personal use is Fair Use.

So, to exercise your rights, you have to break the law. That's why the DMCA is broken and needs to be thrown out.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
kwajaln said:
Since when is there a "FAMILY-USE" clause in the fair-play usage agreement? It sounds to me like you're aren't "backing up" but instead are pirating and bootlegging copies of DVDs that YOU do not own. Mommy's and Daddy's DVDs aren't yours to copy, kiddo.

I totally agree. Furthermore, I think that one should be forced to buy a new DVD every time one wants to view it. Viewing videos with friends should be disallowed, too, unless everybody brings his own version. Don't you see that actors (and other people who work in the film industry) can hardly make a living nowadays, just because YOU share your Pinocchio DVD with your siblings? You %&*#!!!

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
jsw said:
Agreed. I'd accept a trade-in option with a small fee, but the whole region-locking deal is absurd. Legal, but absurd.

I find it pretty interesting though, that region-locking is actually legal. If you'd do that within the European Union, e.g., region-locking your DVDs using different regions for France and Germany, and then sell it for different prices I guess you'd find yourself in front of the European court before you sold 100 copies...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.