DVD Player, Intermediate Codec, Pro App Support Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released a number of updates today related to Pro Application users, including:

Pro Application Support 3.0 (10.3.9)
This update improves general user interface reliability for Apple’s professional applications. It is recommended for all users of DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Logic Express, Motion and Soundtrack.

Apple Intermediate Codec 1.0.1
Delivers improved compatibility and reliability for Final Cut Express HD and iLife ’05 uses. It is recommended fro al users of Apple Intermediate Codec 1.0 who are using QuickTime 7.0.

DVD Player 4.6
DVD Player 4.6 delivers added support for DVD Studio Pro 4 authored HD DVDs. It is recommended for all users of DVD Player.
-Additional support for playing DSP 4 authored HD DVD folders from DVD discs and hard drives.
-Additional support of discs with both SD and DSP 4 authored HD content.
-Improved Global Player settings.
-Improved usage for last play and disc info dialogs.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
FIX for unrecognized DVD drives?

After 10.4 my G5 intermittently tells me blank DVDs are not usable 'Drive not supported" - well considering Apple shipped that drive INSIDE machine.... and it was under 10.3.9.... this problem seems OK now but having a blank DVD in machine upon startup still gives the error.

Machine specs see below

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Apple Intermediate Codec 1.0.1:

Key updates include:
-Improved export performance
-Improved playback

Maybe the HD 1080p playback requirments can be dropped a bit? ;)

woxel1

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2004
MacsRgr8 said:
Maybe the HD 1080p playback requirments can be dropped a bit? ;)
Seriously. I don't want to get a G5 just so I can watch the trailer to Batman Begins in HD.

Or Do I? :rolleyes:

neps

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
Hm, I didn't see the Itermediate Codec upgrade available in my SW Update, and when I manually download it I get that I can't install it on this volume because the codec that requires updating could not be found.

I'm on a powerbook 1.5g 10.4 with iLife 05. Did a spotlight search and sure enough, no codec is installed. What's the deal?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I would think the intermediate codec will only appear if you have either iMovie HD or Final Cut Express HD.

I was asked to grant permission to a file called Qmaster or something after installin, probably because of Pro Application support. I ran a search and it looks to be associated with Shake.

i don't have Shake. :) Oh well.

neps

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
but I have iLife 05 which includes iMovie HD.

Oh, maybe it's cause I had iLife 05 installed and then did an Archive and Install on Tiger, which might have got the file lost in the shuffle. Will reinstall it tonight I guess.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Freg3000 said:
I would think the intermediate codec will only appear if you have either iMovie HD or Final Cut Express HD.

He has iLife '05.
I have the same installed, and I did get the update.

I had to do the DVD Player 4.6 manually though.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
qt fix?

could this all be the problem with quicktime lately? hopefully... i cant stAND the bugs... oh well its new and 10.4.1 will come soon enuf.... any updates are good updates ;)

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
d.perel said:
Cool, but what do we use intermediate codec for?
Apple Intermediate Codec is what HDV is transcoded to on the fly when importing in iMovie HD and Final Cut Express HD.

It's a compromise between performance and quality. It makes 720p and 1080i editing possible on relatively lowly Macs. Native HDV editing (which is coming in FCP 5) requires much more powerful hardware.

Freg3000 said:

I was asked to grant permission to a file called Qmaster or something after installin, probably because of Pro Application support. I ran a search and it looks to be associated with Shake.

i don't have Shake. :) Oh well.
Qmaster is the encoding engine used by Shake and Compressor (and therefore FCP 4 and above as well as DVD Studio Pro 2 and above). IIRC, iDVD 5 now uses Compressor's encoding technology (which uses Qmaster).

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Sneaky avatar there Rod Rod. :rolleyes:

But yeah i have done the upgrade, but i think this upgrade only really applies to Pro usuers...i see no differences or at-least yet.....
Do many people use DVD player???? Because neither on panther nor on Tiger have i opened it yet....

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
neps said:
Hm, I didn't see the Itermediate Codec upgrade available in my SW Update, and when I manually download it I get that I can't install it on this volume because the codec that requires updating could not be found.

I'm on a powerbook 1.5g 10.4 with iLife 05. Did a spotlight search and sure enough, no codec is installed. What's the deal?
I was in the same situation as you, but I reinstalled iDVD and iMovie HD from my CD and the codec was installed and then the update became visible in Software Update

peripatetic

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2005
Problems with Software Update

I have 10.4, and the two updates (iTunes and now this one) haven't showed up when I try Software Update. I have to manually download them through Apple's site. Anyone experiencing this? What can I do?

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
I'd like to be able to play DVD-A discs in my DVD drive the way I can with WinDVD and PowerDVD in the Windows world. DVD Player won't do it when I try.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
peripatetic said:
I have 10.4, and the two updates (iTunes and now this one) haven't showed up when I try Software Update. I have to manually download them through Apple's site. Anyone experiencing this? What can I do?
From what I understand, iTunes 4.8 and DVD player 4.6 has not appeared in Software Updates for anyone.

As for the codec, it only appears if the version 1.0 of the codec is installed on your system.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Rod Rod said:
Qmaster is the encoding engine used by Shake and Compressor (and therefore FCP 4 and above as well as DVD Studio Pro 2 and above). IIRC, iDVD 5 now uses Compressor's encoding technology (which uses Qmaster).
Interestingly, after I installed 10.4, I checked the Software Update, and was told there was an update to QMaster (version 1.2.1). At first I thought that this was a new update, but it had the date of May 2004 on it. Funny that Panther never found this for me. Now just waiting for Shake 4 with QMaster 2, which supports queuing Maya files :D .

j-a-x

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
iPhoto?

I'm still waiting for an iPhoto update to fix that annoying "everything turns red in tiger when you edit" bug. I hope more updates are coming soon...

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
oskar But we're still waiting for 10.4.1

BTW. when is FC Studio being released?
My shipping date is "on or before 6/14/05". So far away!!!

Oh, and DVD Player 4.6 doesn't show up for me either. Pro App Support is currently downloading just fine though.