DVD Shrink equivalent on OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by netnothing, Jun 25, 2007.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Is there an OS X equivalent to DVD Shrink for the PC?

I like to backup my son's Disney movies to extract just the main feature (nothing more annoying than having to wait to get to the movie). I currently use DVD Shrink to make an .iso image of just the main movie, then I burn it with Nero.

Anything like this for the Mac?

Thanks!

-Kevin

2. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Mactheripper to rip main feature, then handbreak to shrink to archive or just machtheripper then burn with toast or something for main feature.

3. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

If you are willing to pay a little bit, DVD2oneX2 is good for compressing dual layer DVDs down to single layer. The drawback is it won't do it for protected content.

4. basicfiend macrumors member

HandBrake is much better (just my opinion). It's interface is easier to use.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I prefer the 2 guitar attack of MacTheRipper and DVD2OneX, especially if you plan to burn these and have them be watchable in your DVD player.

If you just want to rip and compress the movies into a format that's watchable on a computer, Handbrake will be more than fine for you.

But to answer your actual question, no, there is no single program on the Mac (at least not one I'm aware of) that does what DVDShrink does.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mac the Ripper and Toast offer more flexibility than Mac the Ripper and DVD2OneX.

I would go with Toast 8 if I were you. It also does data and audio discs as well as a nice copy feature.

7. kpkilburn macrumors newbie

Sorry for the necroposting. I just noticed the date of the original after I posted. For all I know, there is a Mac version of DVDShrink by now.

I was able to run DVDShrink 3.2 on Mac using Darwine (the older builds of what's now called Wine). It worked fine in ISO mode, but sometimes crashed in file mode.

You can build it yourself:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing

Or, there are builds (beta) available and packaging program (Wine Bottler):

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

I haven't tried DVDShrink with the new Wine, but it worked with the old one.

8. macrazee macrumors regular

By far the best is DVDRemaster. It isn't cheap ($39 or $49 for the Pro version) but it does everything DVDShrink did and more, with a great interface. Very robust, I use it near daily.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So how did you come upon this thread then? You registered today, and that is your only post, and I'm curious how one finds a four year old thread and decides to post in it.

10. DarthGoogle macrumors newbie

I'm going to guess that he found it the same way that I did, via search engine. A google search is how I found this forum, and another search led me to this post.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

after ripping equivalents, not converting equivalents lol. please learn the difference.

MacThe Ripper will work great for you :D

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yup, that's what I think, it's just strange how one goes around with answers and spreads them instead of asking any. It's just strange and I have seen many (dozens) of necropost in my time here and I always asked how they came upon those threads, and I never got an answer. Never.

You are kind enough to offer some kind of explanation, but just for kicks I would like to hear the actual poster explain it. But I guess it will not happen in this thread either. So what the hell, it is not one of those important things anyway.

But thanks for participating.

(no sarcasm involved in that post, I'm too tired for that right now)

[​IMG]

13. kpkilburn macrumors newbie

First, that's why I apologized.

Second, I did a Google search for "DVD Shrink for Mac OS X" (or something like that, but you get the idea). I came upon the thread, read it, then tried to reply. It told me I needed to register, which I did. I posted my response and when I looked at it again, that's when I noticed how old it was.

Your post seems a bit flippant and seems to imply that I did something intentionally wrong, so before you go making accusations, I'd appreciate you asking me rather than accusing me.

14. kpkilburn macrumors newbie

Ok - you got one now.

That said, would you mind explaining what I'm missing? I apologized for the outdated post as soon as I realized my mistake, but it seems like I did something more heinous. Please explain.

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for replying.

And no, you didn't do anything wrong, but as I explained I have seen it several dozens of times, that an old thread gets resurrected for no clear reason.

You can post whatever you want, unless you violate forum rules, which I don't think you have. It's just curiosity, and I think it's just kinda strange, as you didn't pose a question, which would be understandable for resurrecting an older thread. But you provided another kind of solution, that's what I find interesting, it's like you go around the internet and look for threads that you have a solution for.
    I just can't get it into my mind. The fact that this thread is resurrected is kinda secondary compared to this.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey dont bring me into this lol! i didnt resurrect it ;)

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[Craig Ferguson] So you did recognize in your post, that you were replying to a four year old thread? What were you tutsifrutsi thinking?[/Craig Ferguson]

But I can't battle those necroposters alone and I have to build me an army. :p

Greetings to Orange anyway.

kpkilburn, are you still there?

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you just confused me beyond all possible reality. are you asking me to join your anti-revival thread crusade? lol

19. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Nah, I'm just confusing myself, as I'm awake since yesterday and it's already midday here in Europe.

I'm just looking for the ultimate answer: how does it happen, that one resurrects an old thread with an answer?

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

already :eek: its 930pm here in aust! (saturday night)

well i guess its just that people are searching for a question - they google, then they might find the answer elsewhere, and want to post it on a thread/forum where the answer has been asked for future people to notice? maybe?

21. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I haven't thought of that. But it still seems kind of unlikely in my head though in most cases of resurrected threads, but in this one I might agree with you. And since I will be here for awhile, there will be still plenty of opportunities to ask that question again and again.

Have a good evening then. Btw, do you know of any mine town job opportunities in NSW, or are they more likely located in the west?

22. kpkilburn macrumors newbie

I don't really set out to do that, but if I happen across something that I think I may have a solution to, I try to offer help. I don't know why I didn't check the date of the post this time.

I'm "new" to Mac, so I've learned quite a bit over the past two years. I usually just read solutions, but I've finally learned enough to offer some advice once in a while.

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

he he he. people behave oddly. we will never know why they do what they do, that is just life :)

hmmm good question. there is nothing here on the beach (your 30 years late for that) where i am on the tweed coast. im not aware of any mining towns from basically here to port maquaire - inland maybe Moree, places around there.. its either that or QLD!

24. kpkilburn macrumors newbie

:confused: Why the continued speculation when you have the answer right in front of you? I'll bet you that my explanation is the most accurate one here. I'm 100% sure of it. :D

Just for reference:

25. madebypaul macrumors newbie

you are hilarious

I read this post, after seeing it before about three months ago and coming back to it as I was doing a search again for dvd shrink on os x (looks like it might be coming soon)

So I read through the thread and find this dialog hilarious. kpkilburn is just being a good samaritan and is pretty much getting a verbal slap on the wrist for doing so.

Leave the man (or woman) alone! They are just doing the right thing, and that is updating old post with new solutions. A lot has changed since this was posted and it just so happend that many people do not daily check the mac rumors forum and rely on google to find answers to questions that maybe they have had for two years now.

This was a very good question and still is... handbrake cannot do what dvd shrink can do. I switched over to a mac last year and this was just one of those things that bothered me since I was so used to DVD shrink.

Now thanks to kpkil's post, I am gonna try out wine and see if i can get dvd shrink to work that way. Thanks!