Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ochsenbauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Purkersdorf, near Vienna
Hi,

I have a MacPro3.1 with the NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1536 MB grafikcard. I want to use the Dell U2515H monitor, which only has HDMI, mDP und DP connectors. Which cable or adapter can I use to get the full resolution of 2560x1440?

I have already tried:
  • Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link-DVI-Adapter
  • Apple HDMI to DVI Adapter
  • Amazon HDMI to DVI-D Adapter Cable
With these I only get a resolution of 2048x1152.

Does anyone have a idea?

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
I'm afraid nothing will help.

your display needs dual-link dvi signal on hdmi input, hdmi can provide it if connected to hdmi port on videocard. But all dvi->hdmi adapters I saw only pass single-link dvi signal, hence 2048x1152. Displayport adapters wont help either, they convert from display-port to dvi, not vice-versa.

You either need a display with dual-link dvi input or upgrade videocard.

switchresX wont help either.
[doublepost=1453560598][/doublepost]Found something, but product discontinued, maybe you can find a used one on ebay

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-dvidl-2-hdmir.jsp?prod_id=8624

but wait, it was 1800$, not worth it.

Last edited:

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
I'm afraid nothing will help.

your display needs dual-link dvi signal on hdmi input, hdmi can provide it if connected to hdmi port on videocard. But all dvi->hdmi adapters I saw only pass single-link dvi signal, hence 2048x1152. Displayport adapters wont help either, they convert from display-port to dvi, not vice-versa.

You either need a display with dual-link dvi input or upgrade videocard.

switchresX wont help either.
[doublepost=1453560598][/doublepost]Found something, but product discontinued, maybe you can find a used one on ebay

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-dvidl-2-hdmir.jsp?prod_id=8624

but wait, it was 1800$, not worth it.

Aaah I misread I thought he wanted to go mDP on Mac to dual dvi, it was the other way around

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.