Dyson Vacuums...who has one, how do you like it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Feb 27, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

My ten+year old hoover upright is pretty much on its last legs. Cant complain too much as I definitely got some pretty good use out of it.

Im thinking of dropping some of this years bonus money on a Dyson DC25 animal and am looking for feedback from others who may have this model (or any dyson actually).

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I have a Dyson ball, (mid level one) bought it because it looked cool. Practically it's quite heavy, very difficult to vacuum stairs and it doesnt fit under couches and the like because of the ball.

But when people come round they all go 'ohhh a dyson ball'
    And I think in comparison its quite expensive to the traditional styles.

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

How good of a job does it do cleaning?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You keep your vacuum out on display? :confused:

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

For as much as that thing costs, I seriously considered it with mine. :)

BTW, what's up with all the vacuum threads lately?

6. B.winkle macrumors member

I had a Dyson, bought on sale. Took it back after 2 weeks. It had no power! The old one we were replacing actually had more power. Overpriced and under powered.

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Oh I left that bit out. It's awesome at picking up dirt, but I doubt that it is much better than a standard Dyson without the ball.

And yeah it generally just sits around the house. When I put it away, I only end up getting it out again.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've had a DC04 for years now – eight or nine, easily – and it still works perfectly.

We have a toddler and a cat* so obviously it gets a fair bit of use and is a little battered, but I've no complaints at all with its performance – it gets everything superclean. It's an older model so I can't speak about what's currently on offer mind, in terms of performance or longevity.

*Bloody cat.

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I bought one for my mother a few years back, before the Ball became the model of choice. She absolutely loves it. Does an excellent job of picking up anything, and the attachments and extendable hose work perfectly, especially with a long-haired cat.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Got one of the older smaller models. This one:

[​IMG]

Bit heavy, I find. Attachments are a bit iffy as well, not as effective as I'd like.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Had a dyson for years and years the original upright. It is still going strong somewhere.

That said in the past year or so we moved on to a Miele Cat and Dog vacuum. Movnig back to bagged cleaners is slightly annoying in the fact that you have to get bags but this is a much better vacuum in my opinion.

My parents got a new Dyson and it is heavy as hell, sounds like it has a supercharger on it too with a high pitched whine.

Go to a shop and test drive a few (for serious) as you don't want to end up with a vacuum that is very heavy.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I heard that they suck :p

seriously, they're a bit over priced for me

13. Fred Bear macrumors newbie

Bagless Vacuum Cleaners

They all look as if they get a lot of dirt up, but it is often quite fluffy - and the HEPA filters can easily get blocked if the bin is not emptied quickly enough. Also avoid any cleaner with low, forward facing exhaust - they blow dirt around!

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They are expensive, but they last forever. We have one and it works great.

15. sportster, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

sportster macrumors 6502

We have the Dyson DC17 Animal. It was giving to us by my fiancee's grandparents. They used it for a while, but was to heavy for them.

It works great for us. Picks up much more than I realized was there. Always amazes (almost grosses) me how much it picks up each time. It is a bit heave to carry up and down the stairs. But, I love the way the handle extends out with the hose. We use that the most.

16. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

We've got the DC18 Animal. With 4 dogs and 4 cats, we were going through at least a vacuum a year, if not sooner. Tried all of them at Target, Hoover etc... Finally, last year we broke down and got the Dyson. Best vacuum I've ever owned. Like someone else notes, it's almost gross how much it picks up.

I stayed away from the ball intentionally because I read some negative things about it and was concerned about the motor being in the ball... Didn't think that was a good design.

Also, the hose being a part of the handle is pure genius!

Coachingguy

Google Dyson versus... and you'll find a ton of sites/thread devoted to this.

17. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

They are very much worth the money. It's something that will suck when you want it to.

18. wpotere Guest

We have the animal as well and as mentioned, it is the best vacuum that we have owned. Well worth the money and it picks up everything!

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

We have the DC25 upright and the DC23 canister.

As far as quality and suction goes they're the best by far in our experience. Cheaper brands do a poorer job and don't last as long. Not to mention the superior filtration on the Dyson ... clean air is good.

We prefer the canister by far. Upright is too heavy, cumbersome, not good on stairs etc.

20. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Love it. Amazing job vacuuming - I vacuumed right before I got mine and vacuumed again with it. Unbelievable the amount of dust it picked up from the carpets. Smaller than I expected, easily storable, pretty quiet and maneuverable. Definitely worth the extra cash.

21. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I am considering the dc24. Anyone have feedback on that model?

22. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Some of these people.

I've got an old DC07. Lurv it.

23. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

24. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Everyone I know who has one tells me it's rubbish. The guy in John Lewis told me the same thing.

25. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

They are expensive and made out of cheap quality plastic. I'd never buy one. That said, my friends who own them, love them. Go figure?