E-mail client.. what do you use ?

xcrskim

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2007
by email client i dont mean a yahoo account or gmail. what type of program do you use so that you can get email from your desktop ? i tried using the one that came with my macbook pro already pre installed but im having trouble setting in up... any suggestions ?

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
Mail in Mac OS X is my favorite, but the most common on mac are probably, mail, entourage, thunderbird, and, err..netscape? What is the problem you are having with mac mail? It may be easily fixed.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
After starting with Entourage, I shifted to Mail and never looked back. Great program that does everything I need. I just had heard too many stories about corrupted Entourage databases, and then one day mine went kerplunk.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
I use Opera for both my mail and my browsing. I just find it simpler to have everything in one place, and seeing as Opera is always running on my computer its the obvious choice.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
I use Opera for both my mail and my browsing. I just find it simpler to have everything in one place, and seeing as Opera is always running on my computer its the obvious choice.
I didn't realise Opera had a mail client built in....I think I may go and have a peek. Mail is still being unresponsive even after I've cleared up all of my mail.

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I didn't realise Opera had a mail client built in....I think I may go and have a peek. Mail is still being unresponsive even after I've cleared up all of my mail.
That's odd. Have you tried rebuilding your inboxes?

I have nearly 5000 e-mails in mail at the moment and it still feels fairly snappy to me. Much faster than Thunderbird anyway.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
That's odd. Have you tried rebuilding your inboxes?

I have nearly 5000 e-mails in mail at the moment and it still feels fairly snappy to me. Much faster than Thunderbird anyway.
That appears to have sorted it!

Basically replying or adding attachments gave me the beach ball of death for around one minute. Quite annoying.

Thanks dude! :D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I use Mail as well. I have one problem where two messages have been confused with each others subject. But in that is the only problem i have had with mail, i have persisted even after i have rebuilt the database etc.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'm still using the Mail app on Panther and it works fine for me. I've skipped Tiger entirely but I'll be upgrading to Leoaprd in a few months so that will be a nice change - looking forward to the Tiger and Leopard enhancements for Mail.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Thunderbird. The main reason is I can share emails between the Windows and OSX partitions on the computer, and I use it on all my computers so the interface is always the same.

applehero

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
29º 25' 26"N, 95º 29' 36"W
I started with Mail, which was awesome, and then switched to Entourage as I like having my mail, contacts, and calendar all within the same program. The only problem that I have had with Entourage is I have a ton of old messages that I have tried to delete and while they get removed from the .Mac server, they will not get removed from my inbox. I have tried moving them and deleting them without success. That part really sucks! :mad:

xcrskim

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2007
im having trouble setting Mail up...

on the Incoming Mail Server setup screen, how do I set it up for my gmail account ?