E-mail client.. what do you use ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xcrskim, Jul 30, 2007.

1. xcrskim macrumors member

by email client i dont mean a yahoo account or gmail. what type of program do you use so that you can get email from your desktop ? i tried using the one that came with my macbook pro already pre installed but im having trouble setting in up... any suggestions ?

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, I use Mail, and it's working great for me.

Other alternatives are Mozilla Thunderbird and Eudora, as well as Microsoft's Entourage (part of Microsoft Office:mac).

May I ask, what problems are you having with Mail? Maybe the brain tank of MacRumors can help ;)

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Mail in Mac OS X is my favorite, but the most common on mac are probably, mail, entourage, thunderbird, and, err..netscape? What is the problem you are having with mac mail? It may be easily fixed.

4. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I use Mail but am waiting for Thunderbird to get Address book support so I can switch.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

After starting with Entourage, I shifted to Mail and never looked back. Great program that does everything I need. I just had heard too many stories about corrupted Entourage databases, and then one day mine went kerplunk.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

7. • Jaz • macrumors member

8. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

+1

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mail is probably the best. I switched to it after being a long time Thunderbird user.

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Mail for me too. I have about 50 mailboxes with well written rules, and Junk filtering is excellent.

11. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I use Opera for both my mail and my browsing. I just find it simpler to have everything in one place, and seeing as Opera is always running on my computer its the obvious choice.

12. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I didn't realise Opera had a mail client built in....I think I may go and have a peek. Mail is still being unresponsive even after I've cleared up all of my mail.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That's odd. Have you tried rebuilding your inboxes?

I have nearly 5000 e-mails in mail at the moment and it still feels fairly snappy to me. Much faster than Thunderbird anyway.

14. harveypooka macrumors 65816

That appears to have sorted it!

Basically replying or adding attachments gave me the beach ball of death for around one minute. Quite annoying.

Thanks dude! :D

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I use Mail as well. I have one problem where two messages have been confused with each others subject. But in that is the only problem i have had with mail, i have persisted even after i have rebuilt the database etc.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm still using the Mail app on Panther and it works fine for me. I've skipped Tiger entirely but I'll be upgrading to Leoaprd in a few months so that will be a nice change - looking forward to the Tiger and Leopard enhancements for Mail.

17. reflex macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird. The main reason is I can share emails between the Windows and OSX partitions on the computer, and I use it on all my computers so the interface is always the same.

18. applehero macrumors 6502

I started with Mail, which was awesome, and then switched to Entourage as I like having my mail, contacts, and calendar all within the same program. The only problem that I have had with Entourage is I have a ton of old messages that I have tried to delete and while they get removed from the .Mac server, they will not get removed from my inbox. I have tried moving them and deleting them without success. That part really sucks! :mad:

19. xcrskim thread starter macrumors member

im having trouble setting Mail up...

on the Incoming Mail Server setup screen, how do I set it up for my gmail account ?

20. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

This might help

Depending on the machine I'm on, (or where I am...) I use Gmail, Mail or Entourage.

21. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I take it back, Mail still takes about two minutes to add attachments to emails. And 400k attachments at that....:(

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

23. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

turn off previews using this app.

everything goes VERY quick after that.

There are some other good plugins here.

24. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user