E-Mail from AT&T: No Corporate Discount on iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattpol, Jul 15, 2008.

1. mattpol macrumors regular

I sent the following email to AT&T:

"I recently purchased an iPhone and signed up for AT&T service. I also used the online tool to register my AT&T corporate discount (FAN #) from [redacted]. Can you please help me confirm that my account has a corporate discount attached to it, and also please confirm exactly what amount that discount is for?"

I got the following reply:

"Dear [redacted],

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail the new AT&T regarding adding
    your corporate discount to your iPhone account. I am happy to help you
    with your inquiry.

Unfortunately, corporate discounts are not available on iPhone
    activations. This information regarding the corporate discount
    availability for the iPhone is provided as part of the Pre-Purchase
    Agreement for the iPhone, and part of the AT&T iPhone Brochure, which
    are both provided at the point of sale. Additionally, the corporate
    discount availability details involving an iPhone are also available in
    the Wireless Terms and Conditions that you must agree to in iTunes when
    activating your iPhone.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to serve you, [redacted]. Thank
    you for choosing AT&T as your wireless carrier recently and we look
    forward to the coming years serving you.

Sincerely,

Jen Greenaway
    AT&T
    Online Customer Care Professional"

--------------------------------------------

I thought that corporate discounts did apply to iPhone service, but I guess they don't. Disappointing, to say the least. :mad:

2. Vaco Deus macrumors member

I've heard it does apply to the iPhone 3G.

In store during my credit check they confirmed business discounts can be applied to the monthly service, not the phone itself or the activation

In your email you didn't specify what generation of iPhone. Maybe thats why they said it didn't apply

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

Never Been and Never Will... The Original iPhone was NOT subsidized by AT&T hence they could not give you the discount... On the other hand, the iPhone 3G IS subsidized and you CAN get your FAN Discount on the RATE PLANS (NOT THE PHONE ITSELF)

4. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

This email makes it sound like you can't get a discount on activations...?

5. skasol macrumors 6502

can someone please confirm this?

I will buy 2 iphones right away if this is the case? I get 20% off with my company but it didn't applied to the old iphone but if it does apply to the new one I am in.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

7. mattpol thread starter macrumors regular

iPhone 3G.

8. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Apple has a revenue sharing agreement with AT&T for the original iPhone in that it gets a % of monthly service charges so AT&T nullified any Corporate Discounts on service plans as a result. With the iPhone 3G there is no revenue sharing plan so the corporate discount does apply to the monthly service, although I have heard rumors that it may not apply to the data portion of the plan, can anyone confirm?

9. illutionz macrumors 65816

It applies for my University FAN discount... You should, however, contact AT&T and or your Organization IT Department directly to inquire about this... Most likely you will get the FAN discount on the plan...

This is actually one of the reason why I get the iPhone 3G... My area will only have 3G late fall and there is NO reason I should get it... However, with the ability to get FAN discount on the iPhone 3G, I save more and get the hottest gadget too ;)

Check THIS thread for my detailed calculation

10. mattpol thread starter macrumors regular

I sent the following reply back to AT&T customer care:

"I was led to the believe that (and the information I have read on the internet seems to agree) that a Corporate FAN discount is in fact available on iPhone 3G monthly service plans, although not the initial device purchase. Are you telling me that there are NO service discounts whatsoever on the iPhone 3G?

Please confirm.

Regards,
    [redacted]"

11. illutionz macrumors 65816

You are partially correct (or I am wrong)...

What I've heard is that because the original iPhone was NOT subsidized by AT&T hence their inability to give you discount whereas the current 3G version IS subsidized by AT&T and they can give you discount ;)

12. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

I havnt seen any posting on the iphone price on my corp website.. :(

13. Bosox3 macrumors regular

Bosox3

1st Iphone - NO Corporate Discount
    3G Iphone - YES Corporate Discount works w/ monthly bill

14. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Hmm
    Good call... You should be able to get the discount on the line, but not the phone.

15. skasol macrumors 6502

16. CyberGreg macrumors regular

Discount on Gen 1 iPhone

I just love to add to the confusion....

I have a Family Talk plan with the minimum 2 lines. Both are iPhones, Gen 1. I have applied my corporate FAN to my account and I DO get a discount on my monthly service. The base amount is $60.00 but my bill lists it as $51.00. Both iPhone data plans +200 (for SMS) are NOT discounted and list as $20. My second phone costs $9.99 so no discount there either.

I am counting on getting my full corporate discount on the new 3G iPhone plan once we get them.
    :cool:

Attached Files:

17. And5555 macrumors member

It's not because the original phone was not subsidized (at least not directly). The difference is the profit-sharing. AT&T was giving Apple a percentage of all monthly proceeds on iPhone plans (thus taking the place, if you will, of any discount that you might have otherwise had).

The subsidization is not the reason; the new independence in the subscription model that AT&T has provides for the allowance with regular rate plans, regular treatment, regular discounts.

18. Wailord macrumors 6502

Guys, if I have a 5-line FamilyTalk and only one iPhone on it, can the main line still get the business discount?

19. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

well there is no mention of iPhone 3G in the email by you or her.

iPhone 3G IS eligible for the FAN discount. been discussed at nausea and people are already seeing their discounts on the registration bills

20. mattpol thread starter macrumors regular

Well, as she is an AT&T employee she can see my account, device and plan--all of which would indicate to her the I have the 3G iteration of the iPhone. :rolleyes:

And also, no one has actually seen a bill with a discount printed yet! I think this is still a gray area until there is a definitive answer. While this has been discussed "at nausea" [sic] I have received too much conflicting information to consider this item satisfactorily closed.

21. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

But she didn't look because you mentioned "iPhone" without the 3G designation. They've been answering this FAN/iPhone situation for the last year, so it's just a habit that they'll regurgitate what they've been told...especially when you make no explicit mention of 3G.

Yes, we have.

No, there isn't a gray area. Yes, there is a definitive answer.

It is closed. There are numerous mentions of the iPhone 3G being eligible for discount. If you don't believe ATT's literature, MY iPhone 3G service IS discounted. Just because you failed to mention the term iPhone 3G to a service rep doesn't mean it isn't satisfactorily closed.

22. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

My 21% discount works on the monthly voice bill but not on the phone itself! (iPhone 3G only!)

23. toddngina macrumors member

Yes, all lines are eligible except the first gen iPhone line. Just make sure the iPhone is NOT the primary line, so you still get the discount on the bulk of plan (4 lines, including the primary one).

24. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

at the local att store i was told the discount applies to voice and data but not text plans.

25. tritonj macrumors 6502a

amazing how topics like this even get started. if i am not mistaken, wasn't this information released in the leaked launch prep material that was given to att employees, there were like 10 pages with all the information you needed to know about iPhone 3G and all the rules surrounding it, and i remember one being that you had to go to ATT store to get your FAN/corporate discount and that the Apple Store wouldn't be able to do it.