E13ctron S4 Pro Case (knock-off)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hizzaah, Nov 5, 2011.

1. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Got my e13ctron knockoff case in the mail today. I only saw one other person on here who ordered a knock-off e13ctron case, and others asked for a review. Unfortunately, the only camera I hav access to is the one on my iP4S, so some of the shots are going to be a little awkward :eek:

For those curious, I purchased my case from Jacky Lin at Aliexpress:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...inum-Bumper-for-iPhone-4s-4G-wholesalers.html . I ordered on 10/26, it shipped using their free shipping option on 10/28, and I received it on 11/5. So 10 days from ordering to my door.

Shipping packaging wasn't superb, just a slim cardboard box wrapped in a bunch of tape, but it did it's job as the case packaging was hardly damaged after the long trip from Hong Kong.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what the legitimate e13ctron packaging looks like, but this one is fairly convincing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This case was also supposed to include an "Eco-silicon Phone strap", but it was unfortunately left out of my box. I've notified my seller of this so we'll see what happens with this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case itself is pretty nice looking actually. It's a bit lighter than I was expecting, but it doesn't feel fragile. Note how the screws go in in from the back side of the case versus the way they screw in on the front for the legit cases.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It of course includes the 2 plastic liners, as well as a tiny screw driver and 10 screws (6 for the case and 4 extras).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting the case on was a snap, not issues whatsoever there.

After putting it on, however, I was immediately disappointed. I noticed that the phone could slide up or down in the case. Not very far mind you, but enough to where it bothers me. When slid all the way down, I can see the antennae of the iPhone through the gap, as well as light through holes for the lock button and headphone jack. I have messaged my seller about this as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to say that overall, I'm fairly impressed with the case. The craftsmanship is very good. Once the two halves are screwed together, they become seamless.

I do think that it would take a while for me to get used to how recessed the lock button and the volume buttons are with the case, but that's a minor inconvenience. Something that does bother me is that the 30-pin connector on the 3ft iPhone cable extender I use doesn't plug all the way in. It plugs in enough to charge the phone, but I still dont like that it's not flush.

As for signal, I taped off a spot to be sure the phone was in the same spot each time. For each scenario I shut the phone off, put the case on, turned the phone onand let the phone sit for 5 minutes each time to make sure the signal was "settled". Not sure what's up with the signal today, since I'm completely under AT&T's HSPA+ network for my area

AT&T Field Test Readings:
    I did two runs for each.
    without case -91/-83
    e13ctron case -92/-98
    Otterbox Commuter -83/-86

Speed Test for 3G (Ping/Download/Upload):
    without case 88ms/0.99Mbps/0.91Mbps
    e13ctron case 80ms/1.20Mbps/0.10Mbps
    Otterbox Commuter 99ms/0.93Mbps/0.83Mbps

(my speed test on 3G from a few days ago with the Otterbox was 198ms/5.97Mbps/1.22Mbps so I'm really not sure what's up with the speeds today :confused: )

I'll update my post when I hear back from my seller about the missing strap and the bad fit. As this was my first actually review I put any mount of effort into, if you guys want any other pictures or info, let me know and I'll do my best.

(For those curious, I have an SGP Ultra Oleo on the front, and the stock protector on the back. Sorry for the fingerprints! I've been too lazy to put a real one on the back lol, but I'll get around to it one day)

PS: WE NEED SPOILER TAGS

2. radicalDESIGNZ macrumors member

I ordered from Jacky myself an orange and a blue one...

I also didn't receive the el3ctron strap, i messaged him abt him, but he said that the strap wasn't no longer included.

I have pretty good fitment on mine, I don't have the gap or see any part of the antenna on mine. The only problem I have with mine is that my reception went down by one bar :( though I'm with Verizon, not sure if that affects it or not

hope you get things worked out with him, its a pretty nice looking case for a knockoff and pretty decent for the price.

3. svtjackal macrumors member

Coll that one will be my next test, I already tried the knock off tiger design blade but lost about 2 bars of signal, I have a legit Draco IV coming, and a knockoff vapor pro coming too.

p.S. now do you make the phone show dB signal readings? Do I need to be jailbroken? I have a 4s BTW

4. hizzaah thread starter macrumors 6502

it would've been nice to know that they didn't have the straps if that hold true. He said this version was just released and put the website up only right after I asked him about getting one for the 4S. hmmmm. we'll see what he says. All of my other questions were answered within an hour, but it's been almost 6 since I messaged him with problems, so we'll see what ends up happening

@ svtjackal to show the dB readings you dial *3001#12345#* on your iPhone keypad

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Can anyone who has one of these please post the link to the item.

Thanks.

6. hizzaah thread starter macrumors 6502

Check out the second paragraph of my review?

7. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

A lot of stuff from China comes heavily wrapped in tape. A packaged I ordered from there once look like someone used half a roll of tape. Wonder why? Do they abuse the packages that much during shipping? May to make them more tamper proof?

8. hizzaah, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

hizzaah thread starter macrumors 6502

No idea.. As long as my package makes it, I don't care what they wrap it in lol..

Jacky sent me and email saying that he no longer ships the straps and asked for pics of the bad fit. I replied with a stern/disappointed tone, but I was polite. So we'll see what he decides to do/offer..

Edit: jacky originally offered me $5 back. What am I gonna do with $5 and a disfunctional case lol? So I asked him about just getting a different case. He asked what I wanted and I said either the Vapor Pro, Sword, or Cleave. He sent me the link to look at his cleave stock, then stopped responding so hopefully he gets back to me tonight. The time difference is killer..

9. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Screws??

I have a question! Most of the E13ctron cases I see have the screws showing on the top of the case, and i hate that. Now all of a sudden I am seeing the same case but with the screws on the bottom now.

Which is the norm right now from people who have purchased the cases?

10. hizzaah thread starter macrumors 6502

The case I reviewed is a knock-off case from Hong Kong. They chose to re-design it a bit with the screws on the back. That's part of the reason I went this route.

The originals have the screws on the front :)

11. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Awesome!! That is one of the reasons I was holding back on ordering because of those darn screws. Well I just ordered the silver from Jacky Lin so I let you know once I get it and post some pics. They should look sweet on my white iphone.

12. hizzaah, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

Awesome. Jacky has been pretty good so far, hopefully he emails me back soon.. Tell him Jordan S refered you to him ;)

Edit: Looks like I'm getting the Sword aluminum bumper free of charge as a replacement for this defective e13ctron, and I also decided to order a Deff Cleave case from him. A lot of his cases are 5% off right now, so check his store out if you're interested!

13. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Jacki Lin just emailed me and told me the case won't fit the 4S, he has to be mistaken right? So many people on here have purchased from him for the 4S so he has to be mistaken.

14. Liljeberg macrumors newbie

He has fake e13ctron cases for both 4 and 4S, are you sure you were asking about the one called "S4 Pro"?

15. jdsun1 macrumors newbie

That box is classic I can't believe it actually says designed in California USA.

Does it matter where it was designed from when its a knockoff from China? I mean does no one else see the irony in this? Maybe it should say design stolen from California USA or maybe re-designed in Hong Kong?

16. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Yes the title of the listing says "Newest e13ctron S4 Pro Aluminum Case for iphone 4s 4G, Aluminum Bumper for iPhone 4s 4G free shipping"

This dude is crazy, here is a copy of our messages back and forth to each other.

Me 08 Nov 2011 06:44 (GMT -7)

Wow, why would you assume I don't know how to install a phone case? That is pretty rude to say to a customer. Just because I am a female doesn't mean I don't know how to use a cellphone or a case. I know how to install this case on my phone. Please send it. Thank you!

jacky lin 07 Nov 2011 22:56 (GMT -7)

yes,it can use.but i am worry you don't know how to install

Me 07 Nov 2011 22:04 (GMT -7)

The cutout for the buttons seem big enough to fit the 4S. Does the case fit the CDMA iPhone 4? If it does then it will fit the 4S as well.

Me 07 Nov 2011 21:58 (GMT -7)

What aluminum case do you have that fits the 4S?

jacky lin 07 Nov 2011 21:00 (GMT -7)

hi,my friend.so sorry,this case seems not so fit 4s,maybe you can change other case?

Me 07 Nov 2011 12:37 (GMT -7)

It is the white 4S and please send all silver case. Thank you so much!

jacky lin 07 Nov 2011 11:27 (GMT -7)

hi,my friend.please tell me you use for iphone 4 or 4s

I don't know if I even want to purchase from him now, he is getting on my nerves now. :rolleyes:

17. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

I think you're jumping the gun by assuming he's being rude or selfish. Those are pretty standard questions of any customer service.

Guess what the first thing a PC help desk will ask you if you have a computer problem?

"Did you try restarting your computer?"

Some will even ask,

"Did you make sure that it's plugged in?"

18. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Right but I didn't contact him for help, I purchased a case from him. No help requested. I bet he didn't say that to any of the guys. Plus he didn't offer help, he lied and said it wouldn't fit my phone because he didn't think I would know how to install it. Completely different from getting tech support from a help desk!

19. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Well, you were asking if the case fit. I am only going off of what you copied and pasted. I did not see a bit of sexism there.

Even if it was sexist, it's only sexist by our standards. Remember, the guy is in China. Asia still largely has a problem with what we deem "sexist". I'm Asian myself so I speak from first-hand experience.

Take Japan for example, the woman still cannot eat at the table if the husband has male friends dining with him.

20. corlo76 macrumors newbie

I ordered an all black S4 Pro case from Jacky Lin yesterday. Will add my thoughts when the case actually arrives.

21. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

hows the wifi reception, and gps?

I ordered a knock-off Cleave from ebay ($20, local in-state seller) and it reduced my 3g and wifi reception. I promptly sent it back for a refund. the other thing about the cleave was it made the phone too slippery. i chose the silver color, not sure if any difference.

how is the grip on the e13ctron knock off?

22. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

If you re-read the conversation from the first time stamp to the last, I only asked if it fit the cdma version after he said it wouldn't for the 4S just to see what he said. He then replied saying yes it did fit the cdma version. The time stamps are going from bottom to top. He lied and said it wouldn't fit my 4S before I even asked any questions about it fitting any other iphone.

23. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Oh well.. chew him out and get a replacement and call him a pig. lol.

The more upset you are, the more likely he'll take you seriously and make things right. Also point out the fact that a ton of people shop through him based on this forums.

Show him a link to prove it. That's what I did with all these Chinese sellers. All were super nice.

24. hizzaah, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

did you tell him that you were a female before you did in the messages? Many of these cases wont fit right if they aren't installed exactly correct (maybe not so much the e13ctron as much as the vapor pro cases, but still). That's what he assumed happened when I told him my case didnt fit properly. I've never had one problem with him and I'm getting my third case from him soon. His english isn't the best, but he does ok :)

Jacky has also started responding to my emails at a time of day that's reasonable for me. at first it was always 1-3am, but now it's been around 1130 (which is 130am in hing kong). I thought that was pretty nice of him.

as of this morning the link I provided for the case says that it's no longer available. going to check with Jacky about this

edit: Jacky said basically that his listing expired, so he'll be updating the page soon

25. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

That is what I plan on doing, thanks!

----------

No but you can tell from my name since you can see my name on the order that I am female, no mistaking that. Unless there is a man names Monique, he couldn't possibly think I was a man, at least I hope not LOL :confused: