e13ctron S4 vs. vapor pro (or ltd edition)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by maflynn, Jun 3, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Has anyone compared the S4 (or the hybrid) against the Vapor Pro Spectra (or ltd edition)?

To be honest as posted in the Vapor 4 thread, I was leaning between two models of the vapor pro, the ltd edition and the black/red model, though the black/blue model grew on my. I'm probably more for the ltd edition model if I was pushed to order one now.

I keep coming to the e13tron thread, as the percentage of people loving that case seems higher then the Vapor pro. what I mean by that is, there is a high percentage of posters complaining about 3G/wifi/GPS. Based on the consensus of the thread, I really shouldn't see an issue with 3G/wifi but GPS is another story. then there's the price, 150 vs. 85, quite a large difference.

I'd like to hear from those folks (if any?) that have handled both and why they chose what they chose.

One real criticism for both companies. Both websites really lack some level of polish and the images of their products are lacking. It makes it harder to choose a model and color when they only have a couple of picks.

edit: yes I obsess over these types of decisions which is why I've been spamming this forum ;)

2. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Well, I personally own the E13ctron Hybrid and have tried the Vapor Pro Spectra. From what I have been using out of the Hybrid, it works and feels like a very high quality aluminum case, except for one thing. The acetal backplate seems to stretch out quite easily and leaves a lot of the band exposed. No reception issues at all so far.

AS for the Spectra, very high quality and no reception issues, although the price is quite steep. It all depends on your wallet and you personal preference.

3. tekbeattv macrumors member

tekbeattv

With regards to reception issues sometimes it all comes down to how the case was seated when it was installed. When I tested the el3ctron s4, if the inner plastic band was not seated perfectly, I would get reception issues. Once it was seated properly no issues occurred at all. Most likely those are the reception issue complaints that are streaming in for various aluminum cases. It all comes down to how well was it seated and was it installed perfectly.

Hope this helps!

4. JonMPLS, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I have both . . .

Both are VERY well made, high quality cases. Fit is just super. I am hoping that someone who has made actual measurements of both (and the hybrid e13ctron) will check in on this thread, as I think you asked a very good question!

My take based on using both for quite a while:
    E13ctron (not hybrid)
    1. Mild effect on 3G signal. Only a problem when I visited low-signal areas.
    2. Mild effect on WiFi
    3. Slight effect on GPS.
    I realize these are vague terms . . . but I do not know how to measure signal strength with non jailbroke ATT phone. (other than the bars)

Vaper Pro Spectra
    1. No effect on 3G or WiFi that I could pick up.
    3. GPS is problematic. Lock is very fast, but it might be off a 1/2 block or so on the map. Sometimes perfect, sometimes off. Since I use GPS only on trips, this is not really as annoying as it sounds. The case is just so nice and feels so good! (silver/silver on a black iPhone)

I have seen some of the good comments on the e13tron hybrid. I will need to order a back to try. I am especially interested in the GPS (while moving).

Final note: Right now I have the VPS on the phone.

5. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I have both the Spectra and the e13ctron hybrid (both the final shipping version and the prototype that I've had for months now), and you can even read the reviews of each in my signature. For me, the Vapor Pro was a good case, but I had finish issues with both of mine, and the replacement case (2nd case) showed the GPS issues that many people have mentioned now. My first Spectra did not.
    With the e13ctron hybrid, I've never seen any GPS or significant reception issues. At most, it's had a 3dB hit in cellular reception, which translates to less than 1/3rd of a "bar". My review in my sig below for the prototype still stands for the shipping version I'm now using, except for a few points. The final shipping version is MUCH more solid and sturdier than the proto, and the finish is a lot better. Again, the proto I've had was just a proof of concept rough cut, but the shipping version's finish matches the finish of the polished e13ctron alu pieces almost exactly. I'll have my formal review of the shipping e13ctron hybrid up soon (hopefully before the end of the weekend, as I've got the Atomic Diamondback aluminum back and composite back review to do as well), but as I said, performance wise, it's the same as the proto review I've already done.
    If I was buying one of these cases, having had both in hand now for a while, I'd go with the e13ctron. The Vapor Pro is a very good case, but the price is outrageous in my opinion, when there are cases like the e13ctron hybrid and even the Atomic hybrid that are just as well-crafted, and much less money (I the case of the e13ctron, half as much as the Vapor Pro).

6. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Pro all the way imo. The case is proven and their customer service is great now. I own two of them and love both of them. Way better looking too imo. These are opinion based answers but up to this point the element has performed better being all aluminum than the e13 has being half plastic!

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I opted for the Vapor Pro black ops.

Not because I thought the e13tron S4 was inferior but I rather I liked the look of the element case a little more then the S4.

8. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

The Vapor Pro is not all aluminum.

9. polzii macrumors 6502

The Vapor Pro is pretty but IMHO the Vapor 4 is better looking. Also some users have reported GPS issues with the Vapor Pro.

10. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No question the Vapor 4 is distinct and better looking, however it had a serious detuning affect on the antenna, not just GPS, but also WIFI and 3G. the Vapor Pro with the plastic insert largely resolved that problem, though many people have reported issues with GPS.

I'll have to put mine through its paces when it comes to determine how serious of an issue it is for me. I don't use the GPS every day but I use it often enough that if the problem is serious, I'll request an RMA and return it.

11. polzii macrumors 6502

Very true about the signal issues with Vapor 4. Ive been blessed with strong reception from AT&T, so I can live with the Vapor 4. And the satin nickel is just gorgeous even though its tarnished a lot (adds to its appeal for me).

But I do use the GPS a lot. So, Ive decided to get one of the knockoff versions of the Pro since members over at the main Vapor thread, have reported the knockoff version as a wifi-degrader but GPS-friendly.

All the best with your black ops Vapor Pro, that case is beautiful. :D

12. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

where did you get your knock off from?

13. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I've been using my knock off Vapor Pro all day, and believe it or not, it has the same amazing signal qualities of the original. It doesn't hurt cell reception one bit. GPS is dead on as well. And the color actually looks better than any Element offers currently (orange and gunmetal). I'll post side by side photos of them tomorrow night when I have time to set everything up. So far I'm pleasantly surprised. All the same great performance, no real difference in looks, and a fifth of the cost.

14. polzii, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

polzii macrumors 6502

Aliexpress

IIRC, it was China-Grace (wanted the silver/silver, number 6)
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...-Bumper-For-iPhone-4-4G-JL41-wholesalers.html

The yellow/black (number 8) almost looks like a gold/black, but I didnt want to take a chance on it not matching the pic. All-Silver is a safe bet :D

Yay! Good to hear that chris, cheers. Hip-Hip-hurrah for knockoffs :) Post a link too when you post your review, please, one of my friends might go for the knockoff as well, since the price is right.

15. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Here is the seller I got mine from. Aliexpress as well. Sunwin Digital on there. http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/454611528-2011-NEW-Element-Vapor-Pro-Ops-Limited-Edition-Bumper-Case-for-4-4G-Vapor-Pro-Bumper-wholesalers.html

16. polzii macrumors 6502

17. Kenji458 macrumors member

18. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

From the upclose photos, that looks like the updated (for the transparent polymer section) version of the model I just got. If so, it's great quality, and you won't be disappointed...especially considering the low price you're paying. You're getting very similar quality to the original, right down to the exact duplicate of the SpeedWrench.

Yes, their "gray" right side piece is gunmetal. These are such close replicas that even the parts are interchangeable with my real Vapor Pro. For those of you with a genuine Vapor Pro, if you wanted to get colored pieces to mix/match with your current colors, this would be the cheapest way to go, as I'm sure Element's individual components (left and right halves) will cost around $65-$70 each when/if they are available as stand alone purchases.

19. King Julian macrumors regular

OK lads good reports it appears, I am going to go the "cost effective route"(basically what I would pay for shipping will buy me a case , trouble is I am unsure of which "Pro" case to purchase

20. polzii macrumors 6502

Here is another aliexpress seller that has the transparent corner part available (this one is 6 bucks cheaper at ~$37)
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...-Bumper-Case-for-iphone-4-4G-wholesalers.html

cheers

21. azncookiecutter macrumors newbie

Know if all of the knockoffs have the plastic side insert, especially the black frame ones? It seems that some of them may have aluminum instead of the plastic. If that's the case, would pick up one with the clear side insert, although it doesn't look matched with the black frame.

22. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

The one I linked to has plastic for the black insert. It's plastic on mine.

23. azncookiecutter macrumors newbie

Sweet thanks. China-Grace is it? Will put in an order for one soon.

24. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

No, mine was Sunwin Digital. The link is in my above post.

25. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    hi chris975d
    is it possible that you can write a review about vapor pro original vs replica ?
    i really want to get a pro
    but ive send them email bout my problem, as they need to declare the value of the case below US$50 to send to my country.
    in my country if the value of the goods more then US $50 , im gonna be charged more the n US$50 for the tax alone ! thats not including the handling and shipping :(
    so i might need to go to theese "economical route" instead :)
    if the quality of the case is similar and the performace too.

im liking the silver+silver with transparent insert

and i would really like to know whats the different between original and replica.