Ear Piercing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Eric Lewis, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

I want to get something pierced on my ear...but i dont know what (i dont want regular lobe piercing!

[​IMG]

A) what do you have?
    B) what do u reccomend

2. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I've never seen a guy with #5, so I'd stay away from that, plus I hear it hurts kind badly.

I'd go with a #9 and #2 if it was me, but I think I am going to go with just tattoos no piercings, they are kind of hard to hide lol.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have the regular lobes piercing, I say anything other than #1 or 7 looks very odd.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Pierce your foreskin.

It's less obtrusive, unless that's what you want??

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

all depends on what you want and what gauge.

i've had almost all of those, but i only have my lobes and industrial now.

mind you, for most helix you'll need a straight bar until it heals. but depends on exactly where you get it, and size of course.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've never even seen #7 before. :eek:

I've had #1 and #9 done. #9 was awesome, but it got infected. Even #1 got infected. I've been told that some people appear to be more susceptible to infection than others.

I'm probably one of those easily susceptible people, although I'm probably better off without one anyway. If I ever get close to an MRI machine and don't remember that I'm wearing an earring, it could be painful.

7. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Do you plan to work in a hospital? My mom does and I once saw some pictures of a guy who has a metal splinter in his leg and didn't know it.. Let's say he knew it after.

8. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Just a warning, piercing your cartilage can be quite painful, and it's more susceptible to infections. Maybe you should just get a stud in your earlobe first, learn how to take care of a piercing first, before piercing your cartilage. Also, some people have sensitive skin (like me :() and it's better to test out if you're allergic to any metal or if you need to have the stud stay in longer than usual before piercing more sensitive areas.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This thread is sure funny.

One minute I'm in there like a dirty shirt, and the next I'm missing.

It is a quandary.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as long as they use titanium, he shouldn't have any reaction, and really it should be the standard these days for piercings. and while cartilage is a bit more painful, its not any more susceptible to infection as long as you take the proper care of it, although it is more common to have scar tissue build up there due to the puncture.

edit: as long as you go to a reputable peircing parlor with people who know what they're doing, you should be fine. if you have any questions about after care or anything just feel free to send me a PM. clean sterile needles and titanium are a must, though imo. along with gloves, washing etc of course. any place that uses one of those 'guns' run from, even for a lobe.

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

12. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

WAIT WHAT?? No gun?? I just got my lobes pierced again couple weeks ago with those gun thingies. At least that's what they looked like :eek:.
    Btw, I always thought gold was the best. The piercing lady said that 14k gold is usually the standard...

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

needles are the best, they put the least amount of impact and strain on the piercing. the guns just force their way through and can cause a tear and thats not the absolute best way to have it done.

and titanium is absolutely the best and safest metal to be pierced with. it is after all the only metal that is used for implants and other surgeries afaik. other metals can be rejected easier. once your piercing is healed other materials are usually just fine.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

Surgical Steel is the best metal, as long as you're not allergic to nickel.
    Titanium is good for bone replacements as the surface oxidises and allows bone "graft" to it. You don't really want skin healing and sticking itself to the titanium.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've had more people have issues with Surgical Steel than Titanium, but thats just in my experiences.

my steel piercings from a few years ago had issues, but the titanium ones healed faster, again just my personal experiences, but all the piering parlors here at least have switched over to Titanium as a result of issues with steel and other materials.

16. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

oh yes ^ i want that one so bad

thats amazing..looks so good..with the glasses and marker...hm..nice jewerly

17. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Maybe I'm way too old fashioned, but, the only piercing I find except able, are one in each ear lobe, and then, only in girls. I have never understood the fascination with wanting to poke holes in just about every part of the body. :confused:

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Gold is only "the best" in its pure form, in which case it is indeed impossible for the body to reject it. Lots of people do have allergic reactions to 14k gold or rather the impurities in it. If they want to wear gold, must go with purer (and more expensive) options.

19. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I have heard that gold has "healing properties" that speeds up the healing process, although I'm tempted to think it's just a myth. Maybe a reference to its non-reactive nature?

To the OP, I think 2 looks wicked :cool:. 9 looks good too. You can always get both :p. Personally, I always thought lobe piercing is essential. It's kinda like the lobe piercing is like the foundation, and the rest are like blush and bronzer.

20. LeMacK macrumors newbie

sorry, but this is flat out wrong. titanium must be coated with a compound called hydroxyapatite in order to bond with bone. titanium is in fact resistant to oxidation.

furthermore, instruments such as forceps, scissors and needle holders used during MRI's are made from medical grade (non-magnetic) titanium.

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've got a #9 and a #2, though I don't think I've ever seen a guy with a #2 before. #4 looks extremely painful. :eek:

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

really? you've never seen a guy with an industrial? :confused: i know plenty and have one myself.

and the helix can certainly be painful, depending on gauge.

23. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I used to have a #9....and 2 other #9's en route to #7 on your diagram. The only other option I considered was a #1.

.....and yeah....#4 looks ouchie!!!!!!