Ear Piercing?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ikermalli, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I am thinking about getting my ear(s) pierced (I'm a guy) and I have a few questions about it.

I was thinking of getting one ear pierced (small stud) but my friend said people would laugh if I did (he got both his ears pierced recently, it would be free for me).

Also, my parents are really conservative and they probably won't let me get one (actually, just my dad) so if I get it pierced would I be able to take it out for a few hours every day while they are home, but I will keep it on for most of the day and when I am asleep (I sleep in the basement, where they don't check), I am just worried about the hole closing or getting infected. So will I be okay doing that? Please do not say anything about going against my parents' wishes, I know it's not good to go against their wishes.

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I had mine done three years ago and for work had to take it out a good 8 hours a day. I'm telling you it is murder putting it back in when you first get it done. By the third day I accidentally had two holes in my ear because it kept on trying to heal and I was damaging it more and more. When they tell you don't take it out for 6 months they're obviously exaggerating but in reality, don't take it out for a month or two.

Just recently I had my left ear pierced again. I haven't taken it out yet, about a month has passed, and it's doing quite well. This was my sixth piercing so I guess you can say I'm sort of educated in this field. I only clean it once a day and sleep in it no problem. You are supposed to clean it twice a day but I do not. :eek:

Some people find it irritating when they sleep on it, I do not.

EDIT: I believe that it's hard for a piercing to become infected, I've mistreated the one's I've had in the past fairly poorly, and none of them ever became infected. It's honestly not hard to hide piercings from people. Just be well aware of the angle you are at and try to face away from them with most things you are doing. Just don't make it too obvious.

I personally am concerned for you though, I do NOT want you to have to go through what I had to with taking the piercing out and putting it back in when it is fresh. If you have a mind of your own you probably will give it a shot, but it is VERY painful.

3. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Several points I had in mind. How old are you, because I know in some states you have to be a certain age to get piercings without your parents consent? You are asking on a Mac forum for advise on getting your ears pierced? That alone is an issue there. If you are concerned with people laughing at you, then I really suggest you think hard about getting your ear / s pierced in the first place. Depending on how long you leave your earring out for at such an early stage, yes it will close over ( I had my tongue pierced and it closed over in just over an hour in the 1st month, and I had to really stab it to get it back in).
    If you have to hide it from your parents all the time, is it really worth the hassle, or can you just wait until you are old enough. Maybe even try asking your dad if you CAN have one, you might be surprised.

4. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I think it's 18 in most states, but not many places check. At least in New York and surrounding states as far as I know...

I myself don't think there's anything funny with piercings. If you like them, get them. I know I've had some very questionable piercings in my time but I've never been laughed at because of them. A few odd looks, yes, but acceptance of them by others would follow.

5. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, yeah, I will take it out and put it back in anyways, it's better than getting caught for now, but I'll ask my friend if it hurts that much, I'm sure it won't be that bad, I just don't want my hole to get messed up and then my parents will notice it.

I'm 15, my friends sister does piercings, and she'll do it for me for free, and a free earring. Yeah, I am asking here, because there are a lot of different opinions here, not just one forum where everyone loves piercings. I was thinking just coming home with a magnetic one time and seeing their reaction for a test.

My mom already said yes, so I won't have to hide it from her, and if my dad does come home and surprises me and sees my earring I'll just tell him, but I'd rather hide it from him.

Oh and to SB06 I think I'll go get it next week, I'll post a pic here

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

ear piercings you don't have to be 18. but the problem is it needs to be in at least a month before you remove it. if you take it out once day and put it in it is going to chew up your ear and you could get it infected.
    removing it for work gets to be a pain. but small piercing are usually ok.
    so either brave your parents or forget about it till you can do it without a problem.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I got mine pierced at 8 gauge.
    Yeah. Dont do that. :D
    It hurt pretty bad. The needle is about 2 1/2 millimeters thick. Bad decision, but now im about to go to 6's.
    Dont worry about the pain. At 12's its no big deal at all.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I forgot there is no way you will always remember you will forget it is there and you will get nailed. 100% chance of this.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i had mine done to 8 once. not at all bad. standard piercings are actually usually 18 or 20g. razor thin.

in any event please, please, please for the love of all that is right do not go and get it done with a gun. while a lot of people do this everyday it is horrible for your piercing and can cause more and more irritation. the only proper way to get pierced is via a needle.

and as for one or two ears, that personal preference. i had a single ear for a long time, but once i started stretching i pierced the other. up to 3/4ths now and don't regret it one bit.

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

8g? Did you decided to stretch it?!

I can guarantee the OP that it will get infected if you tamper with it a lot. And taking it out and putting it back in is tampering with it. You will have a hard time putting it back in regardless of how long it has been out of your ear. If it's fresh, it will want to close itself up quickly.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I got it pierced at 8. So no piercing to 8 gauge in a second. There was pain.
    Now its been 6 months, so I'm going to 6's.
    I'll stop at 0's. But im in no rush to get there. I'll stay on 6 for another 6 months. Then 4's, then 2's, then 0's. So in about 2 years I'll be at 0.

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

for earlobes I don't think it is a big deal to get it done with a gun. 99.99% of them have been done with a gun. plus a needle hurts worse.

13. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Do you know off the top of your head the "point of no return gauge," where your ear will no longer close up? I know there's a point where that happens, perhaps it's different person to person.

I think you can get lobe replacements if you want to go back to regular lobes, my friend did that two years ago if I remember correctly but the process looked creepy!

14. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

It is in fact person to person.
    But the rule of thumb is 0's are the PoNR.
    Thats why Im stopping there. After that you can experience blowouts and tearing. "F" That. :p

15. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Yeah, those two are horrible. The other thing that looks horrible are uneven stretchings, where your lobe is just completely uneven... I saw a few pics online and that is truly horrible.

16. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I can only get it done with a gun, and I don't know what gauge, just a normal ear piercing I guess, none of those holes, or circles or whatever. If it gets infected my parents will notice, I'll tell them, they'll get mad, and then leave me alone about it. Could you explain the gauge thing to me?

17. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I saw a guy who went to 2inches! His left lobe blew out and tore. It was 2 dangly flaps, about and inch and half long hanging from his ear. Bleh.

Gauges are sizes, similiar to wire sizes found at Home Depot. The smaller the number, the bigger it is. Most start at 12, then go up by 2's
    12 10 8 6 4 2 0
    at 0 they go to 00
    Then by inches

You can convert the gauges to inches if you prefer via google.

18. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Smaller number, larger piercing. 0g is a 0 gauge piercing. That's big.

14 / 16 / 18 gauge piercings are "normal" piercing sizes. When you go to a mall place or wherever you may be going they probably won't ask what size you will want, one being they probably only have 16 gauge guns.

I think 16g is the normal size for most piercings. Any smaller, like 18g, would result in migration, and 14 might be on the painful side.

After reading that, I must admit your signature is correct, my stomach is weak! :p :eek:

19. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, so for 16g would it hurt to take out my piercing, because for like 8 and 6 it would definitely hurt?

20. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Nope. You'll feel a small pinch, then you'll be asking "Are you done already?"*
    *Results may vary.

EDIT: Awaits "thats what she said reply."

21. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe to you... :p

I mean not when they pierce it, but after they are done piercing and I have to take it out every day, I don't want the hole to become very noticeable.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Definitely good advice. Going with a needle is much, much better. Guns hurt more and cause far more damage to the surrounding tissue than a surgical grade sharp, sterile, needle. A gun equals far longer healing times, increased risk of infection, and overall a lower quality piercing.

23. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

How much more do needle piercings cost? I would get one, but I'm getting the gun one for free, although faster healing seems a lot better.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

They are really cheap. Just a normal clinical hypodermic needle will do. But you should clean the area first with povidine iodine like betadine first (for 3 minutes) to sterilise it. As well as insuring your jewellery is sterile.

In all seriousness the best thing to do would be to drop the extra few dollars to go and get it done professionally. It's not expensive and you'll get far better results with less chance of infection. Just go somewhere reputable. Out of the dozen or so piercings I've had through my life I've never regretted getting them done properly. However I have regretted having it done with a gun.....

25. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is technically professional I guess because my friend's sister works at an ear piercing place, but they do it with guns.

Update: So I just asked my mom about the ear piercing, she said no but didn't seem totally against it, she liked my friends piercings, and she didn't even notice them until I pointed them out, so I guess it would be easy to hide. But I am going to keep on asking her, then she will talk to my dad, if he says no, I'll wait until winter, where I always wear hoodies and hoods so I can cover it up.