Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Lol, I wouldn't wear a magnetic stud to school, once people find out they'll just laugh really hard, haha.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
In your first post you state that your friend said people will laugh at you if you get a real piercing.

Single piercing, he said that people would laugh if I got a real single piercing, I don't think so, and I'm not getting both ears done if I do get it most likely, but I'm only going to get magnetic earrings so I can see how earrings look on me.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Get yourself some glass retainers/barbells from here....

http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?jewelry=retainer&ProductID=2131&index=14

Make sure you get some clear o rings. Then get both ears pierced and get them to put the retainers in for you.
I recommend getting your ears done with a needle but it's up to you really, if you're never going to stretch the piercings then a gun should be fine.

I would, but as seen in the pictures they appear quite visible. Also, as mentioned earlier normal piercings are 16 gauge not 18 gauge or 14 gauge, so I am guessing not all earring would fit in my 18 gauge hole if I used that and if I got a 16 gauge hole and put in the retainer which is 18 gauge it would close up to that size.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I would, but as seen in the pictures they appear quite visible. Also, as mentioned earlier normal piercings are 16 gauge not 18 gauge or 14 gauge, so I am guessing not all earring would fit in my 18 gauge hole if I used that and if I got a 16 gauge hole and put in the retainer which is 18 gauge it would close up to that size.

If you get it done with a gun, it's definately going to be 18g, maybe even 20g.
To be honest, your parents are going to find out. It's not worth hiding it anyways. Just keep pushing them to let you, and if they don't seem to budge, give up or wait until you're old enough.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
If you get it done with a gun, it's definately going to be 18g, maybe even 20g.
To be honest, your parents are going to find out. It's not worth hiding it anyways. Just keep pushing them to let you, and if they don't seem to budge, give up or wait until you're old enough.

Pfft, I don't give up! I'll just keep asking, if they don't break soon I know by mid-september they will let me (Muslim holiday, Eid) and will let me get it :D Or if my grades are good and I don't get caught with my "herbals" they won't care :p

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
Widnes, Cheshire, England.

They appear quite visible because they're are using black o-rings to keep them in place and the images are close up.

Also, you'll find most ear piercing guns are 18g so you wouldn't have any problems with this jewellery and stretching to 16g really wouldn't be an issue.

As I said, if you get some clear o-rings to keep the glass in place, they'll be soo small that people and parents will barely notice.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Or if my grades are good and I don't get caught with my "herbals" they won't care :p

(chuckles madly)

Don't get it done with a gun, there's horrible things like blow-out with guns. A hollow needle is the only way to go. It will still be 16g. I bought some awesome wood plugs the other day, I'll post pics in the "Last Purchase" thread when they arrive.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I hate to be the party pooper but also consider what your long term career aspirations are. Things like piercing and tatoos tend to be a killer in a corporate setting, especially in more conservative professions....
Cheers,

Ahmed

I'm probably going to take over the family business, we have a shipping company and a shipping manager or I'll start my own IT business, I don't think it would matter much if I had a piercing in those professions.

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
Hey all,

I am thinking about getting my ear(s) pierced (I'm a guy) and I have a few questions about it.

I was thinking of getting one ear pierced (small stud) but my friend said people would laugh if I did (he got both his ears pierced recently, it would be free for me).

Also, my parents are really conservative and they probably won't let me get one (actually, just my dad) so if I get it pierced would I be able to take it out for a few hours every day while they are home, but I will keep it on for most of the day and when I am asleep (I sleep in the basement, where they don't check), I am just worried about the hole closing or getting infected. So will I be okay doing that? Please do not say anything about going against my parents' wishes, I know it's not good to go against their wishes.

I had my ear pierced the first time in 8th grade. It was a PITA because I couldn't wear it at school, so every day I took it out and had to put it back in. Unfortunately, since I had to keep taking it out, the back hole would close and I would have to PUSH it through again...Lovely, right?

Keep that in mind.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Sounds like it hurt, what would you rate the pain on a scale out of ten. I'm not really sure about my pain tolerance, is there a way I could check (without breaking anything :p), the only pain I've had recently was almost tearing my ACL, it wasn't that bad, but I would need an ear test. I either have really low tolerance, or really high tolerance (symptom of dyslexia).

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Lobe piercing, especially with a gun (never had it done with a needle), is not painful at all. You sit in the chair, they clean your ear with alcohol, put a mark with a marker on your ear, have you look at it in the mirror, then 3.2.1 it's done.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Sounds like it hurt, what would you rate the pain on a scale out of ten. I'm not really sure about my pain tolerance, is there a way I could check (without breaking anything :p), the only pain I've had recently was almost tearing my ACL, it wasn't that bad, but I would need an ear test. I either have really low tolerance, or really high tolerance (symptom of dyslexia).

You know, now that I think about it, you should go ahead and do it. Get them pierced. Buy some retainers. Put 'em in and take 'em out each day. That's what you're going to do anyway, regardless of what we tell you.

Don't worry about the pain; you'll get used to it. Don't worry about all the scarring you'll get from continually aggravating an open wound; eventually you'll have some big, shiny diamonds to cover the scars on your ears. Don't worry about risking infection from repeatedly sliding something into and out of a puncture wound in your body; what's the worst that could happen?

Most importantly, disregard every bit of advice you've gotten from this thread - clearly, your mind was made up before you ever asked for feedback.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Yes, you can do it the right way, with a tri-beveled needle, starter studs, take them out AFTER your ears have healed, or you can mess them up to the point that they scar and can't easily be pierced again when you're allowed to. The choice is yours. Whatever you do will be noticed by your parents. I only managed to go a week before my parents noticed but it was raining all week so I just wore a hoodie all the time.

Oh, and I've had cartilage pierced. I'd say it was about a six out of ten, plus the crunching sound might put those with a weak constitution over the edge. The regular lobe pierced with a needle was about a two or less.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
You know, now that I think about it, you should go ahead and do it. Get them pierced. Buy some retainers. Put 'em in and take 'em out each day. That's what you're going to do anyway, regardless of what we tell you.

Don't worry about the pain; you'll get used to it. Don't worry about all the scarring you'll get from continually aggravating an open wound; eventually you'll have some big, shiny diamonds to cover the scars on your ears. Don't worry about risking infection from repeatedly sliding something into and out of a puncture wound in your body; what's the worst that could happen?

Most importantly, disregard every bit of advice you've gotten from this thread - clearly, your mind was made up before you ever asked for feedback.

Lol, nope I was trying to convince myself it wouldn't hurt that much, it didn't work, plus I'll have to wait a little while before I ask again since I kind of need to get trust back from my mom because I told her about "my uncle herb" and she's sorta shocked but kinda cool with it too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.