Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarjas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
FL
I have a 2008 iMac 2.8 C2D that I hit the final possible upgrade on- picked up a Intel 330 120GB SSD for $90 after rebate. Pulled the 1TB drive out and put it in a external FW800 box.

Cloned/etc and system seems to run fine, snappy, not quite as dramatic as my first SSD experience was (2010 MBA) but fasts non-the-less.

Benchmarks, however, were not where I expected them for a SATAII drive, max through-put was right around what I saw with the 1TB seagate. Checked out the system profile, turns out the SATA port speed is negotiated at SATAI vice SATAII speeds. Drive is SATAIII.

Did the forum/internet searches and seems this is not uncommon. Could get a new SSD and install in hopes of connecting at SATAII or just live with it, my guess is that most of the SSD benefit is IOPS/seek time based and that I rarely saturate the SATAI port with normal use...

Anyone been in the same boat? Thanks!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Last edited:

Tarjas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
FL
Thanks- this computer is used as the family machine (photos/email/web browsing), nothing it does even pushes the C2D behind its capabilities.. (it routinely has sling player running, FFV decoding a video for air video while surfing the web and playing music). Best bet will be to hang onto the 330 and put it into a TB enclosure when I get a new iMac or Mini next year or so... I have my 2011 MBA when I need more power..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.