Early 2011 15" Macbook pro Service battery warning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wywern209, Oct 12, 2013.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

I bought a new 15" macbook pro in June of 2011 for University. Two years later, there is a service battery warning stating my battery health is low. I checked the iStat Battery health and it says 52% health at 400 charge cycles. I was under the impression that these new batteries were supposed to hold 80% charge at 1000 cycles, over twice my cycles. The laptop is not under warranty but it seems like the battery is clearly defective. Do you think apple will replace it for free?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It never hurts to ask, but Apple policy is not to replace it if it's not covered by warranty or AppleCare. Some Apple reps have been known to bend the rules, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

I read that over. Lots of good info in there. The info in there confirms my suspicion that the battery in my computer is defective. The battery for my year should maintain 80% charge at 1000 charges.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have the same computer. My experience is that the battery is considered a consumable, and if it requires replacement after the first year, you have to pay for it. If it needs replacement during the first year, it is considered that the battery was defective, and it will be replaced for free.

However, after the first year, it is considered to have been a good battery, and will not be replaced for free as it is a consumable...no matter how many (or few) cycles it has on it.

While it never hurts to ask...I would be surprised if the battery was replaced for free. It was, by Apple's rules, not a defective battery.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's true, but they're only covered if the warranty or AppleCare are in effect. Batteries are consumable items, and are replaced at user expense if not defective and covered by warranty/AppleCare.

6. andershoeg macrumors newbie

Hi wywern.
    Just wanted to tell you that you are not alone. Just yesterday I discovered the same thing, battery service warning, checked iStat and it says 75% after 204 cycles. Mine is a 13" Macbook Pro from november 2011. Well, time for service..... :-s

B.r. andershoeg

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "Service Battery" indicator appears when there is a problem with the battery, but it also appears when your battery health drops below 80%. That doesn't mean you have to replace the battery right away. As long as the battery still holds sufficient charge you meet your needs, you can continue using it below 80% health.

8. andershoeg macrumors newbie

Hi GGJstudios;thanks, I'm aware of that. But when I bought mine I also bought extended full warranty for 2 years. So I have to do it now, free of "charge" (so to speak...) :)
    b.r. andershoeg

9. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

I agree with most of that but if they make a claim that it will last to 1000 charges at 80% then they should back that claim. Not cop out by saying it is a consumable(which it is). I used the computer as dictated by apple. I didn't keep it plugged in all the time and used it off the battery often. I should also mention it started dropping in capacity rapidly over the past couple of months. It went from saying 79% health to 52% in a matter of weeks. Only 10 charge cycles were completed in this time period.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They do back that claim, but only under warranty/AppleCare coverage. No manufacturer guarantees its products forever. That's why warranties and extended warranties exist. It's not Apple's fault your coverage has expired.

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It probably wouldn't hurt to at least ask Apple about it. My mid-2009 is about 75%, 400 cycles, but I expect that from a four year old battery.

12. realifia macrumors newbie

There is a service battery warning in my early 2011 15" Macbook pro too.
    I really hate to say so, but the battery health says 27.1% health and 87 charge cycles…

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "Service Battery" warning appears when the health drops below 80%, even if nothing else is wrong with the battery. Replace it when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, or if it starts swelling.

14. ElliottG macrumors member

I don't agree that that is "backing their claim" because who in their right mind reaches anywhere near 1000 battery cycles in under a year? And Apple knows that...

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple makes no restrictions on time frame for reaching 1000 cycles, other than the warranty/AppleCare requirement.

16. ElliottG macrumors member

Exactly. They're basically lying...lol.

It's like saying hey, your battery is "suppose to last 1000 charge cycles", but if not, better buy Apple Care or have it changed within the first year!

They are making a claim that is not a realistic possibility (from what I've seen on this forum). If they were really backing that claim, they would AT LEAST be changing them out for people that are having battery errors at under 500 charge cycles (HALF OF THEIR CLAIM, BY THE WAY!)

What I'm saying is, I have not seen too many people with 1000 charge cycles, but I have seen plenty of people who have under 500-600 charge cycles having battery errors...

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're not lying. Like any company, Apple's warranty claims requires the warranty to be in effect for them to be honored. You don't have to reach 1000 cycles within the 1 or 3 year period. If your battery health drops below 80% anytime while it's covered by warranty, even if you only have 300 or 500 cycles, it's covered.

18. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Not many people have heard of marketing in this thread...

If 1 battery out of the millions they've produced were to survive 1000 cycles while retaining a 80% charge capacity, they're not lying when they say "up to 1000 cycles".

19. ElliottG, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

ElliottG macrumors member

Exactly...

Technically they're not "lying", but in a realistic respect, they are.

But if we're honest, they're obviously not the only company to do it...it just bugs me that they also boast to have some of the best hardware and solid laptops out there, yet we see them failing just as much if not more than regular laptops (ex. mid 2011 15"......). It also irks me that they suggest you buy AppleCare...and it's not only for people who beat on their computers either...people need to buy AppleCare now to feel safe about their $1500-2500 laptops breaking 2 years down the line and needing $600 worth of repairs...things that just should not be happening with the pricing they accompany to their computers.

Then again, I'm only speaking from things I've read on this forum, and that is quite silly of me because I know that the amount of people that post on these forums and the amount of people that actually own these laptops is a very small percentage, so counting the numbers is pretty hard based on little data.

20. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

At least your battery is replaceable... unlike the retinas... sigh...

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, AppleCare isn't for people who "beat on their computers", because AppleCare doesn't cover damage from accidents or wear. It only covers manufacturing defects. Also, the choice to buy AppleCare is no different from any other extended warranty. No matter who suggests that you buy it, it's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth it to you. It doesn't matter how much you pay for a computer. They're imperfect devices made with imperfect parts, so it's inevitable they will fail at some time.
    Precisely. A very small fraction of the computers that Apple sells are defective, which is inevitable when you sell over a million computers per month. Those that post in a forum are a microscopic percentage of Apple users, and they are not representative, since very few post in a forum just to say they're not having problems. Drawing conclusions about the reliability of Macs by reading a Mac forum is akin to drawing conclusions about the average health of a population by visiting a hospital.

22. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

23. ElliottG macrumors member

Does anything else annoying happen with this? Like popups saying replace battery, etc? Or it just says that there and that's it?

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Stays there.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no pop-ups. It's simply that the battery status shows "Service Battery" if your battery health is below 80%. That doesn't mean that the battery is unusable, as long as it still holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.