Early 2011 MBP and intermident "replace now" for the battery. Then reboot loops

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LunaC, Jul 27, 2012.

1. LunaC macrumors member

I have and Early 2011 17 inch MBP and have intermident "replace now" for the battery. After this I have a sequence of reboot loops. PRAM and SMC have no immediate effect. Typically if I let it sit overnight and then plug it in it will finally complete a boot sequence. After that the battery shows good condition. IIRC there are only 62 cycles on the batter and near full capacity. Even when it says 'Replace Now' coconut will show good readings but the logicboard stops using the battery and operates souly on A/C

Memory has been replaced and difference HDs substituted with no effect.

I noticed last that the 'replace now' is hit as soon as it charges to 100%.

Curious if this has happened to anyone else. I dont want to waste the money on a battery replacement just to test it out but othere than that and replacing the logi board, there isnt much more that can be done. Just a note, I put ML on last night so curious if it stabilizes the situation.

Thanks!

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

3. LunaC thread starter macrumors member

So it would appear but amazed that it reports good condition most of the time. They don't typically repair themselves but obviously there is merit in the obviousness

4. LunaC thread starter macrumors member

So I learned something- "Resetting the charger"

After a discussion with a Apple tech, we were about to hang up since I'd done everything that he was going to and he mentioned something. "Have you ever reset the charger".... I smirked and asked, how do you do that! So the procedure is :

1) remove the prong/cable from the charger
    2) let sit for a while (minute or two)
    3) reconnect cable/prong and it is done

So far, the 100% charge has been hit a few times over the last few days and have not seen a 'Replace Now' for the battery. I will report back should it resurface.