Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

034128-170546821_500.jpg

The new Apple TV was successfully jailbroken tonight which opens the door to further customization. The process of "jailbreaking" involves gaining full access to the device that allows developers to add new functionality to the device. The iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad have all been successfully jailbroken over time and has allowed individuals to install unauthorized applications to their devices. The original iPhone jailbreak even allowed 3rd party applications to be developed well before Apple launched the App Store. Some successful App Store apps such as Labyrinth and Tap Tap Revenge had their origins in the Jailbreak scene.

This video shows that they have accessed the new Apple TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adVp-IxcDHI
Despite this early step, we're still a number of steps away from easily installing 3rd party applications to the Apple TV. Apple is also likely to be considering an official App Store for the Apple TV, though they've yet to announce any official plans.

Article Link: Early Apple TV Jailbreak Opens Door to Apps

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
One wonders if Apple didn't make it this easy to see what would happen. Why develop ideas in house when the Jailbreak community can do it for you.

Will be interesting to see what's possible and what sort of interfaces are best/possible for these sort of Apps.

Comment

macrumors 6502
One wonders if Apple didn't make it this easy to see what would happen. Why develop ideas in house when the Jailbreak community can do it for you.

Will be interesting to see what's possible and what sort of interfaces are best/possible for these sort of Apps.
I'm also pretty sure that's the game. Look at the most iPhone "features" Apple came with AFTER the JB community already have developed them...

Anyways, long live the Dev-team! Gotta love them for doing all this work for the freedom lovers!!!

Comment

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

And the best part is that the users who are likely to experiment with this are the best guinea pigs around, seeing as they're usually the more savvy ones.

I'd say Apple knows damn well whats happening. They made it too easy.

Comment

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I'm also pretty sure that's the game. Look at the most iPhone "features" Apple came with AFTER the JB community already have developed them...

Anyways, long live the Dev-team! Gotta love them for doing all this work for the freedom lovers!!!

I agree, and massive kudos to the jailbreakers!!!

The second they get some apps installed on this thing (Plex with NAS support, BBC iPlayer, LOCAL STORAGE VIA A USB HD etc etc) via a jailbreak i'll be buying this thing so fast my credit card will have scorch marks on it!!!! In fact i may just buy one now just so i can be part of this.... Perhaps as you say that's their game; either way they sell more ATVs.. the serious techies are happy as they have jailbroken ATV's, there is no phone company giving them grief about people hacking the device, they get to sell more ATV's, and apple get to sit back and see what apps work well on it!!
However if that is Apple's plan, it does show lack of vision, laziness and contempt for their customers, which is a shame.

Comment

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
reminds me of the old days when the only apps on the iphone were jailbroken ones

Comment

troller

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
whatever they wil hack....if its about apple, I love 'em...hack this ****!

Comment

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
I am constantly amazed by the jailbreaking community and their dedication to getting around apples restrictions.

If it weren't for them the iPhone would be nowhere near what it is today.

Comment

Mad City Court

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Madison
Early Apple TV Jailbreak Opens Door to Apps

Sweet, lets hope Apple doesn't get their underwear in a bunch and shut down the site and dose not do a "security update" for a while. I wonder, is this still a hobby to them or a game? ~laughs~

Courtney

Comment

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
This pretty much guarantees the App Store WILL appear on the AppleTV now, doesn't it? It was always likely anyhow, but Apple aren't going to let an unofficial, hacked, free app distribution be the only app option on the AppleTV.

Comment

cmendill

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Don't get me wrong, it's great how quickly they were able to do this. But, why is everyone expecting that the jailbreaking/app development community will take off in the same way as with the iPhone just because this runs iOS? First and foremost, the ATV has to be as popular as the iPhone to develop such a community. I think we are a long way from that. I see this all going down the same road as the original ATV. Maybe things will be better this time because of the larger iOS app development base.

Then there is the issue of content. The ATV will still be predominantly used to watch videos. Sure, they will hack it so you can watch your divx.avi & h264.mkv files, but you could do that on the old ATV, maybe not at 1080p. Then people are going to want to watch web videos from the networks and HULU. Those are flash, and I don't think the ARM processor in this box is going to perform well decoding that without the benefit of GPU acceleration, like what you get with h264.

In my opinion, if Apple wants to keep this lightweight processing architecture, they need to do what they did with the iPhone. They need a legitimate app store and they need to pressure those content providers to switch to h264, like they did with youtube at the beginning and as some others have begun to do already.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.