Early arrival: will it be one of us?

preston181

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
So, with just under a week before the expected arrival date for the new IPad for those of us who preordered early enough, we've all got some time to kill.

Let's make it interesting. How about we each pitch in with the offer of gifting an app, (choice of the cost is up to you. I'll be willing to gift up to a $5 app), to the first person who gets their new iPad earlier than the 16th, and who can prove it with pictures, and requests, (picture with that day's newspaper on the iPad screen, going to the "about" screen on settings, other things to verify validity).

I think this could be fun, and will be rewarding to the person on this forum who is truly "first!" to have the new iPad.

If interested in participating by being willing to gift an app to the winner, should there actually be one, say so below.

If you get your new iPad early, and can prove it, post proof below.

Good luck, guys, (and gals).

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
why does the first person to get one get a free app, they already got the iPad early, i think the person who can prove they had to wait the longest for their pre-order to arrive should win. they are the real winners.

preston181

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Why would I want to give anyone anything for getting an iPad early?
It's for fun. The bigger the pot to be won, the better. Who knows, it could be you who wins.

It would also be an incentive for someone to provide us all with a "holy crap" moment of being the person to get one early.

Nobody's forcing you to participate.

----------

why does the first person to get one get a free app, they already got the iPad early, i think the person who can prove they had to wait the longest for their pre-order to arrive should win. they are the real winners.
That would take a really long time, and would be hard to prove.

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
I was about to second this, but my argument against rewarding the "first" applies to rewarding the "last" as well: why should we reward anyone for luck of the draw? becuase that's what it comes down to. The true "first" person who placed their pre-order might have ordered a model that's not shipping out first. Conversely, the true "last" person to place their pre-order might have ordered the very model that is shipping out first. So in that regard, why the **** are we rewarding laziness/cheapness/pure luck?

If anything, being the "first" to get their iPad should be reward enough. :rolleyes:

Bradllez

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
Orlando
Give two dollars to someone to enjoy an app forever...

Or wait two days to buy your own app to enjoy forever...

Hard decision here.

/sarcasm

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
cha-ching!

how's this. got it yesterday

**obviously it's fake (if you did not know).. was just really bored

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
I think this a fun idea.

I also think its safe to say all the people who posted that Tech Writers have had the ipad a week before the annoucement are looking rather sheepish.

preston181

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Sheesh. I remember people being more competitive. I'd of thought people here would be totally down for a friendly competition, and a chance to win something.

----------

I think this a fun idea.

I also think its safe to say all the people who posted that Tech Writers have had the ipad a week before the annoucement are looking rather sheepish.
I thought of that. A proof of purchase, (apple store screenshot of receipt or something like that), could be part of the proof. The tech writers probably got all the good apps already anyhow.

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
Sheesh. I remember people being more competitive. I'd of thought *certain* people here would be totally down for a friendly competition, and a chance to win something.
fixed some things for you. surely you know macrumors better than that.

but seriously. the "competition" is inherently exclusive and alienating. for one, not everyone has pre-ordered, some are planning on standing in line, some have pre-ordered and already know their iPad won't arrive until march 19 or 26., etc. not to mention this completely excludes Europe pre-orders.
It's just a bad, distasteful, cliquish idea.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Poor quality pictures that show the retail box and shipping box with label or a reciept. Would help.

preston181

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
fixed some things for you. surely you know macrumors better than that.

but seriously. the "competition" is inherently exclusive and alienating. for one, not everyone has pre-ordered, some are planning on standing in line, some have pre-ordered and already know their iPad won't arrive until march 19 or 26., etc. not to mention this completely excludes Europe pre-orders.
It's just a bad, distasteful, cliquish idea.
Okay, how about if the winner gets to decide between the gifted apps, or having the cash equivalent donated to a charity?

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
I'll do one better:

How about we all gift ourselves a great big app of our choosing when our own individual iPads get delivered?

Everybody wins!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
I've got a way...

I've been casually dating an IT manager at FedEx. I'm wondering if some sort of finagling is possible...maybe removing the future delivery restriction? :D