Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I'm reading so many different things about 3.0 so far.

"Battery worse"

"Battery better"

"Faster"

"No, definitely slower!"

"Search is so handy"

"Search is useless without metadata search!"

Is it really a good, stable upgrade over 2.0?

I have a bad feeling that 3.0 was slightly intended for the better specs of the 3GS, from what I've seen in the video's 3.0 on a 3GS is flying.

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Like it so far. It's kinda slower for me but not by much: probably will be faster after a day or two. Haven't seen a difference battery wise though. The new features are awesome!!! Now all that's left is to figure out the autofill feature.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
The consensus is that's it's a really worthwhile update. If you want to keep on getting Apps from the AppStore, you'll have to update eventually anyway.

Most 3GS reviews focus on the 3.0 software, so they're also worth a look at.

For me, 3.0 is fantastic.

Pcpro745

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
i havent had any issues, I would say its more stable, My phone doesnt lockup as much

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I don't have it yet, but the Spotlight Search only searching in Email Subjects and To lines is a bummer.

It doesn't search in the email itself.

I am thinking they will make it right in the future though.

David2070

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
UK
For me its less stable. Randomly Safari seems to crash and my other apps open when this happens. This never happened on 2.2.

From what I've seen so far, I'm glad I've not pre-ordered a 3Gs.

Not impressed with this update at all.

itsthetouch

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
3.0 is nothing to be excited about. The only thing really worth getting a little excited about is copy and paste. And that should have been there since day 1. Everything else is meh.

You won't notice any kind of change of speed or anything like that. Search to me is pointless. How hard is it to find something on a phone?

I can only imagine how great the iphone could really be if all these basic things were there from the start and got some real worthwhile upgrades.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Seems good so far! Was slow at first, but after opening Apps up once, going through everything for a little bit, it seems very stable. Love some of the new features! Question- does push notifications work on the 2G iPhone? I can't find it under my settings.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Just one feature alone makes this a worth while update to me: Cut, Copy, and Paste. Nuff said.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
3.0 is nothing to be excited about. The only thing really worth getting a little excited about is copy and paste. And that should have been there since day 1. Everything else is meh.

You won't notice any kind of change of speed or anything like that. Search to me is pointless. How hard is it to find something on a phone?

I can only imagine how great the iphone could really be if all these basic things were there from the start and got some real worthwhile upgrades.
LOL what the heck is a worthwhile upgrade, you would probably still be whining about that upgrade.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I still have my 1st gen iPhone.
The 3.0 update is a waste of time. OK... landscape email is better and copy/paste. I see nothing else that is useful to me.
The artificial restriction of MMS is beyond idiotic since my 4 year old RAZR can send and receive MMS messages.

manueld

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I still have my 1st gen iPhone.
The 3.0 update is a waste of time. OK... landscape email is better and copy/paste. I see nothing else that is useful to me.
The artificial restriction of MMS is beyond idiotic since my 4 year old RAZR can send and receive MMS messages.

I have the 1st gen iPhone as well and I like it. The phone felt snappier and one of the things I love is that safari now autofills.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
mine is by far faster, it used to take forever to open camera, sms and settings but it opens basically right away now. then again it isnt JB yet LOL

i still miss freaking status notifier, thats why i need my JB as soon as possible, its annoying to not have an icon to see if ur phone is actually on silent mode or if u got a new mail etc.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
IDK im just saying, this upgrade is nothing great. OOoooooooo cut copy and paste. :rolleyes:

Copy & Paste works better on the iPhone than any other phone. For example, on Android, you can't copy things from a webpage and put them in to an email. You can only copy text you also enter.

- Push notifications are also pretty nifty.
- There are great additions to the stocks app
- Search inside mail is pretty good, and you can search on the server
- New APIs open more doors for developers. MapKit is an example of something you're going to be seeing people use a lot.
- Voice Memos works well
- MMS is pretty useful, too
- A2DP also works well

In short, it depends on who you are. This update adds lots of features. Maybe you won't use any of them, but there are so many new features, you should have a look at them all before calling the update useless.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Does anybody get the itunes account creation server crashing on them?

DaveChappers

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
So far me everything seems quicker. Although is anyone getting slow reboot times.
When i turn the phone back on it seems to sit on a black screen after the apple for ages.

Turning off is just as quick as before though

memesmith

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I'm not sure but I think my original iPhone is running hotter and is sucking up battery life under 3.0

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
It's a lot faster than the jailbroken OS I had been running. I am noticing that it stumbles in games a lot though..wolfenstein, ferrari GT

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Nothing impressive that will make me strip down to my Birthday Suit and go running thru the neighborhood going Whoo Hooo :eek:

I do not like the new search, it should have been an icon, not an additional screen, also everything seems slower, Email, Safari, Calendar, Contacts, etc.

Spotlight Search - Should have been an icon

Cut and Paste - Yay finally

Landscape Keyboard - 1 thumb up

MMS - Yeah Right ok give me a feature but don't let me use it.....Huh :rolleyes:

Voice Memos - Good for recording Farting Sounds :D

Improved Calendar - Where did it go? :rolleyes:

Stock Apps - 2 Thumbs Up I guess

Thethering - Where did it go? :eek:

Safari improvements - Where?

WIFI - Better, but I was already using it successfully....YAY

I must say the process for getting the update, installing it and rebooting like a million times was not the highlight of my night, but maybe that was just me having issues, I guess others will say this update helps them a lot.

Me I am getting 3GS Friday, but if I was not, I would stick with 2.2 for a while, my phone was better.

Hey what happens to the people with the older revisions before 3G, do their phones stop working at some point, the Apple Tech told me a lot of the APPS are going away and will only be available on 3GS soon...:eek:

Just my Quick Review of things with the Forbidden Fruit called my iPhone

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Nothing impressive that will make me strip down to my Birthday Suit and go running thru the neighborhood going Whoo Hooo :eek:

I do not like the new search, it should have been an icon, not an additional screen, also everything seems slower, Email, Safari, Calendar, Contacts, etc.

Spotlight Search - Should have been an icon

Cut and Paste - Yay finally

Landscape Keyboard - 1 thumb up

MMS - Yeah Right ok give me a feature but don't let me use it.....Huh :rolleyes:

Voice Memos - Good for recording Farting Sounds :D

Improved Calendar - Where did it go? :rolleyes:

Stock Apps - 2 Thumbs Up I guess

Thethering - Where did it go? :eek:

Safari improvements - Where?

WIFI - Better, but I was already using it successfully....YAY

I must say the process for getting the update, installing it and rebooting like a million times was not the highlight of my night, but maybe that was just me having issues, I guess others will say this update helps them a lot.

Me I am getting 3GS Friday, but if I was not, I would stick with 2.2 for a while, my phone was better.

Hey what happens to the people with the older revisions before 3G, do their phones stop working at some point, the Apple Tech told me a lot of the APPS are going away and will only be available on 3GS soon...:eek:

Just my Quick Review of things with the Forbidden Fruit called my iPhone

Safari has been improved. It supports new standards such as those which allow accessing the GPS hardware through javascript objects. This allows for richer web-based applications -- in fact, Google Latitude is being built as a web application by taking advantage of this functionality.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Actually 3.0 will be awesome if for no other reason than push.

Something that has not had an actual impact on people yet.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
Love landscaping and text forward

Voice Memo-I can live without

Will be happy once MMS get here

Overall it cool.

Will be better Friday!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.