Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARobinson

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Range-based keywords is to Final Cut as 'the finger' is to the iPhone. Everything flows from that concept.

On board with range based keywords. Great for my documentary work in particular! No need for debate. I am over the days shock.

Video in FCP, in terms of the workflow, is much different than Aperture. I think...fundamentally. But whatever. I am content. Thanks for your reply.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I realize YouTube is 90% cats playing and annoying lip-sync videos, but that's changing. The future will yield quality productions made by anyone who has an interest. No profits, no costs (except to your own free-time and personal life). FCP X could pave the way for that.

Will big-budget Hollywood films still exist?

No, they won't. That's hard to imagine now, but please try.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
That's correct, everything has changed in post......

..Apple as lost a pro app and gained an uprated home editing package.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
So...what? If a colorist sees "Final Cut Pro" in the menu bar instead of "Color" he's gonna get scared or something?

Seriously, I'm not understanding the complaint.

I'm sure the colorist will be scared by the fact that he can't view broadcast quality video on a monitor for grading purposes.

I've put in my 2 cents elsewhere, but to sum it up I'm optimistic that the missing features will come back. Hopefully in the near future. The launch of this had been handled terribly though. I fear that the damage among the pro user base might be too much by then. I'll probably give it a go soon, but I certainly won't use it for anything other than personal work in it's current state.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I realize YouTube is 90% cats playing and annoying lip-sync videos, but that's changing. The future will yield quality productions made by anyone who has an interest. No profits, no costs (except to your own free-time and personal life). FCP X could pave the way for that.

I think you're living in fantasyland.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The launch of this had been handled terribly though. I fear that the damage among the pro user base might be too much by then.

Why? What Pro user expects this to be a product they'll use this year? I doubt we'll get it at work before 2012.

That hypothetical colorist is probably assuming his monitor support will be in Final Cut X by 2012. Seems like a very safe bet to me, dunno why you think that's frightening to anyone.

I'll probably give it a go soon, but I certainly won't use it for anything other than personal work in it's current state.

Funny, that's EXACTLY what I'm doing. Only I seem to think that's cool and you think it'll "damage the pro user base." I'm honestly confused by why you're so pessimistic over the exact same thing that I'm enjoying.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I'm sure the colorist will be scared by the fact that he can't view broadcast quality video on a monitor for grading purposes.

I've put in my 2 cents elsewhere, but to sum it up I'm optimistic that the missing features will come back. Hopefully in the near future. The launch of this had been handled terribly though. I fear that the damage among the pro user base might be too much by then. I'll probably give it a go soon, but I certainly won't use it for anything other than personal work in it's current state.

I with you one this one. There is no way in hell a grader will touch a job without a full broadcast output device, ie SDI/HD-SDI in. Avid will jump on this (and claw back some of the ground they lost with FCP 7)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Posted my review on the App Store: I am sure I agree with all the negative comments. As a young aspiring editor eager to learn, even I feel like this app was written for consumers and not professional editors. It feels more like iMovie Pro. I have so many fundamental issues with the structural build of this program. The UI is not the problem! The changed shortcuts are not the problem! Its the beams in the concrete that are pulling this application down. Hopefully others feel sane enough to explain the details. While I am still eager to learn new tools, this release only encourages my inevitable purchase of Avid. Apple has a lot of work to do!! I am not sure how they can pull themselves out of this whole. Unless their plan all along was to make a product for consumers.

Also, various comments all over other forums and my blog. So disappointed...the more I think about it, the more I realize they are marketing this towards consumers. It was built for consumers. But what does this mean for all of us loyal FCP editors? We jump ship?

Well given the direction Apple has been heading lately with a lot of there stuff and how they have killed off some other their other pro lines I would not be surpised in the least to see Apple complete really leave the pro world.

Apple is mostly a consumer company. It going to sell Apps to prosummers who do not need as much as pros nor demand as much. Just look how how they have been piss poor at maintaining the Mac Pro and keeping it updated. They killed off their true servers.
Apple is about margins and lets face it. Pro world is may have good margins but it does not have the numbers so it is much harder to get the money you invest back. Apple has forgotten how to compete in that world and gave it up to their competitors.

Apple has the consumer world dialed in and they are good at that market and by the looks of things they are moving completely over to that world.

What a bunch of cry-babies some of those reviewers are.

NO professional software is ready for professional use on day one. Anyone who thought that is either not a pro or maybe just incredibly inexperienced.

I'm really happy that I can have Final Cut today so that I can start learning it. Once it gains more features in a few months I'll know what I'm doing and will be ready to go. The complainers will, I guess, just ignore Final Cut until then and THEN they'll start learning it.

Oh well, some of us will be six months ahead of you. Too bad for you.

Well it does not take long to see if App has huge holes in it and lacks even the potential to make it.
I am not a video editor but when an Apple App is getting this much hate something is clearly wrong because normally people are overly forgiving of Apple.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The program is literally retarded and I hope Walter Murch or the Coen Bros call Steve and bitch him out.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I with you one this one. There is no way in hell a grader will touch a job without a full broadcast output device, ie SDI/HD-SDI in. Avid will jump on this (and claw back some of the ground they lost with FCP 7)

Why would anyone beyond making youtube videos touch a program you can't send a video signal out of?

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Apple should erase all the BS 1 star reviews and ban people from the App Store. I've never used any version of Final Cup Pro, but I know it's good software because Apple make it. Final Cut Pro X is definitely a quality product that deserves no less than 4 stars from the screenshots I've seen. It really looks amazing and the best software of its kind in the market.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008

There's no money in it, so you're wrong.

And Jobs even said himself, when it comes to movies, people don't want "amatuer hour."

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Why? What Pro user expects this to be a product they'll use this year? I doubt we'll get it at work before 2012.

That hypothetical colorist is probably assuming his monitor support will be in Final Cut X by 2012. Seems like a very safe bet to me, dunno why you think that's frightening to anyone.

Funny, that's EXACTLY what I'm doing. Only I seem to think that's cool and you think it'll "damage the pro user base." I'm honestly confused by why you're so pessimistic over the exact same thing that I'm enjoying.

What do you use it for?

bxben

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
First Impressions of FCP X

I am personally, quite happy with the Final Cut Pro X update! I wrote a more detailed version of my thoughts here, I would be curious to hear some more opinions from well versed FCP users.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I'm pretty sure 90% of those negative reviews come from people who never used the app.
You can't post a review without buying the thing. On the contrary, the one-star reviews are from professional editors and the 5-star reviews are from iMovie converts looking to enhance their blog videos.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Well, I don't have any mission-critical projects in which Final Cut Pro is necessary but what I don't get is the complaining on release day of an app that will be grown and polished for a few years to come? I mean, is your previous version suddenly not going work? If the new features don't do anything major for your work then why not keep using what you are using and move to FCPX later?

Seems to me expectations were way beyond what Apple could deliver on a x.0 release. As is always the case.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I'm sure the colorist will be scared by the fact that he can't view broadcast quality video on a monitor for grading purposes

This is something lost in the move from QuickTime.

It'll be back, but they're going to have to replace the system API for it.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Reading this Forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/finalcutprox#3169

Doesn't bode well for these folks calling themselves Professionals.

It's littered with a bunch of overreactions, rants and ultimately egg on one's face ignorance as they discover more and more [thanks to other actual Professionals] showing them they better talk less and explore more before making unfounded claims about FCPX's current status.

The best one that had me laughing was the claim that the Key Frame Editor functionality was missing.

No Keyframe editor? massive fail apple!

A few comments later showed the complainer they better use the software and learn the new UI before making themselves look even more foolish then they already have.

Truly sad that so many ranters consider themselves seasoned professionals and are reacting as if the world has all gone mad.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
You can't post a review without buying the thing. On the contrary, the one-star reviews are from professional editors and the 5-star reviews are from iMovie converts looking to enhance their blog videos.

You sure can't, but you can write a vapid review after you buy it without actually taking a few weeks to learn the software--a reasonable time frame for any serious professional to learn any piece of software.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Why would anyone beyond making youtube videos touch a program you can't send a video signal out of?

Well, they wouldn't! With the old FCP you had black magic and AJA boxes that linked to the FCP (G5) via a pcie card. The box would in turn send out SDI or HD SDI. I guess those manufacturers with make something for FCPX, but only if you run it form a g5 (to get the pcie slot) and only if the programme itself allows output ot tape.

Unfortunately apple as a history of ruining what is a good editing package (the old imovie for one)

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Well, I don't have any mission-critical projects in which Final Cut Pro is necessary but what I don't get is the complaining on release day of an app that will be grown and polished for a few years to come? I mean, is your previous version suddenly not going work? If the new features don't do anything major for your work then why not keep using what you are using and move to FCPX later?

Seems to me expectations were way beyond what Apple could deliver on a x.0 release. As is always the case.

The previous version is really behind the technology curve, so many of us have to use something new.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Their gripes seem pretty specific.
The complaints from the reviews I have read all seem 100% legitimate.

However, while I can appreciate the desire to get your hands on the latest version of your "bread and butter" software ASAP, it may well have been prudent for a number of those people with valid complaints to have waited a day or two for the first proper reviews to come in before hitting "buy" on the App Store.
I strongly disagree. I think the strongest negatives are coming from editors like myself who use FCP7 EVERY SINGE DAY!! Consumers can welcome this product with open arms, because it was built for them. However, the current version is not of use to editors, in terms of their workflows and deliverables. Those who use FCP and gave a positive review are optimists. They probably even acknowledge all its faults. I commend their loyalty.

Listen, perhaps I should have said haven't sufficiently used Final Cut Pro X, and I don't just come to this conclusion as an apple apologist or something It comes from seeing reactions to the product else where as well from those who jumped to judge the app less then an hour after release.
I don't think it's very fair to open this say "It looks like imovie so it must be imovie pro" then give it a 1 star ratting.
Take Media composer for example, I am a regular FCP user and decided it was time I gave Avid a try seeing as I hadn't used since 2003.
I imported some media dragged some clips onto the timeline found it to be clunky and frustrating and eventually after cutting maybe 20 seconds of footage I decided to close it.
Based on this would it be fair of me to give it a 1 start rating in the app store? (If avid were in the app store) I don't think it would be.

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Honestly, it seems like most of the complaints are about multicam (which is coming soon).

I don't use it, never have, and don't expect I will be anytime soon.

Here's the thing. FCP 7 didn't like any of the cameras I regularly use. FCP X does. Which means the time from when I sit down at the computer until I can be editing is IMMENSELY shorter. I know people like to be OCD about making things exactly a certain way, but I know with Aperture once I learned to stop stressing over all that and just editing my pictures, the whole process just became way more awesome, and with better results because I could focus on my project rather than dealing with the computer.

I feel like FCP X has great potential to do this as well. Is it perfect? No. Will it require getting used to some differences? Sure. But some things are worth getting used to.

And ok, saying this is just iMovie is complete childish whining. I like what Larry Jordan said about that: it's like comparing a bike and a motorcycle. They may have a similar design but they are two totally separate beasts. iMovie is a crippled little toy. Even now, in its early stages, FCP X feels like an at least competent tool for most projects (that I work on anyway). There's no way iMovie could handle things I do. Not even close. But FCP X can.

Apple said themselves they are completely rethinking the way NLEs work. If you're tied to the old ways, fine, stick with FCP 7 or switch to Avid. Nobody's stopping you. But with some growing time, I see FCP X becoming a great system. Some people are just scared of change. People hated the mouse when it first came out too, and look what happened.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Apple should erase all the BS 1 star reviews and ban people from the App Store. I've never used any version of Final Cup Pro, but I know it's good software because Apple make it. Final Cut Pro X is definitely a quality product that deserves no less than 4 stars from the screenshots I've seen. It really looks amazing and the best software of its kind in the market.

Ok, just because apple has made it doe not make it a brilliant piece of software. Apple ruined imovie the same way, this looks like another one.

The problem is that its coming up to 30 years of editing on non linear systems. Lightworks, media 100 and avid were the first. They all have the same style of cutting and showing your work and there is a reason that Avid version 6 is the same set up to the one they release 20 odd years ago, because editors are familiar with it.

Apple has come along as "decided" they're going to re imagine the whole thing, and while they're at it, take away things that are still needed. Tape is still here, its not just "export an H264 for youtube", yet Apple (it seems) has taken away a way to export to tape!

Also, you can't open older FCP projects. Although i shouldn't be surprised with that as everytime they upgraded the old FCP you couldn't open older projects.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.